Cypress Trail to Boulders Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(267)
Tonto National Forest

Cypress Trail to Boulders Trail Loop is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Payson, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 282 feet Route Type: Loop

A short little downhill single track trail right outside of town. Fairly easy but loose sand might get a little sketchy.

The trail head parking is in an upscale custom neighborhood at a cul-de-sac at the far end. There is not a lot of spaces to park but thete weren't many cars there. Cell service is spotty so you definitely want to download the trail map as the beginning has lots of unmarked branches. Once you find the trail though it is worth it. Great views and easy hiking compared to Bob Bear which we had done the previous day. This tral has lots of very large bolders with a small creek running through. About half way through we found a boulder pile a bit off trail and took a short break for a snack. It was quiet and peaceful and you could hear the sond of the creek running through the boulders Would highly recommend.

This trail was impossible to follow The trail signs were all over the place. As soon as you start on the trail, you are halfway through Cypress trail which is important to realize. You want to follow the signs to boulders loop to get to where you need to be!

Brought our mountain bikes on this trail. Big mistake. Unless you are an expert cyclist, you will carry or walk your bike most of the trail. There was so much sand that made it impossible to ride through. I think this trail a much better suited for hiking. Scenic overlooks, shaded pathways, and amazing landscapes! To add insult to injury, my dumb Apple Watch kept asking me if I was done riding. I got credit for an hour of exercise even though that was the most intense 3 hour workout! But that isn’t the trail’s fault.

Stunning views, a nice variety of terrains and sun/shade. Loved the open field area. Will come in April next year to see more flowers.

Gorgeous trail. Lots of pretty trees and a creek along the trail. I recommend water proof shoes, lots of water and off bug repellent. Overall I loved this trail

Gravel is soft - watch out!

My 14-year old daughter and I hiked this trail and loved it. However, we never got to the Boulders Trail because I didn't pay enough attention to the trail map. So the transition wasn't obvious to me, though my brain child told me that we needed to walk down the actual gravel road a little longer to catch the Bolder path. Cypress was awesome so we just returned the same way. Some beautiful picture spots. Definitely some steeper terrain. Not much shade. However, really enjoyed the Cypress Trail !!!

5/3/2020: So, I am rating this 5 stars simply for the beauty of this park/trail system. If you see my recording, I was ‘off trail’ for an entire 2 hours before I realized it! Funny thing is, I was on a well groomed trail the entire time, just not part of this trail. (Based on another review I read, which mentioned going ‘counter clockwise’, I decided to take the path immediately on the right by the trail map sign as you enter the trail head, which took me off trail from the start!) To reiterate, while ‘my trail’ wasn’t the ‘correct’ way, it was stunning and led me over boulder strewn paths, ascended quickly up the mountain on a well worn path, to a gorgeous walk along the mountain ridge with stunning vistas. The wildflowers were also in bloom. Atop the ridge, there was some boulder Scramble, super cool views again.. I’ll try this trail system again for sure. Next time I’ll make sure to stay on trail and compare the experience with my own trail blazing version!

5/2/2020: Loved this trail! We went to the left at the trailhead from the parking lot and went counterclockwise once we reached the loop. Stunning views lots of creek crossings, beautiful boulder formations.

Beautiful hike with lots of creek crossings & wonderful views. Very well marked & an overall easy hike.

We loved this hike. You cross the creek at least 20 times, which was fun. Lots of views of the mountains and rock formations when you are up high, and beautiful views of the forest when you walk through the fragrant pine trees. We went on a Tuesday in April (amid Coronavirus), and only saw 1 other person on the trail.

Pretty, but crowded.

great trail with diverse topography. not a lot of elevation but great views and several little creek crossings. There is a fair bit of shade as well which was nice.

This was an absolutely gorgeous trail. Very well marked, not rocky; but sandy — so I recommend wearing socks to cover ankles because little pebbles kept getting in my shoes. Amazing scenery I clocked 5.6 miles - see recording We went counterclockwise on Loop. Saw perhaps 5 people on entire hike

Very nice. The steam and boulders are around for most of the trail. I’d recommend going counterclockwise.

not sure we actually took the right trail but 4.2 of an easy hike w the kids will be doing it again

recorded Recording - Apr 09, 01:33 PM

Easy most of the way Some steep up and down.

Trail was fun, nice terrain. Seen four people total till we got back to the trailhead.

gorgeous! lots of streams, beautiful boulders and trees.

this was beautiful! so many stream crossings. great bouldering, not crowded

Easy fun hike! We didn’t make it all the way, but we loved all the boulders! So cool.

This hike was a nice way for my family to socially distance and get outside during the COVID 19 outbreak. The trail was very wet with snow melt, but the weather was perfect and it was a nice hike. I'd rate this one as easy rather than moderate.

Trail markings in the beginning were a little confusing and ended up climbing the boulders. Try to stay on the trail! The best advice would be to follow the water. Overall we loved the trail and there were tons of tree and streams.

Nice walking trail. We only Made it about half way around the loop and turned back as we were running out of daylight. Very easy to follow if you look for the post markers! Hopped a few streams nothing strenuous. Beautiful easy hike! Will definitely go back to finish the loop!

Very fun trail, but it is very poorly marked. We ended up off trail multiple times.