Cow Pies and Hangover Loop Trail

Cow Pies and Hangover Loop Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

absolutely beautiful. Try to start around 6 am as during summer it gets hot pretty quickly.

Not moderate. This trail is a little hard but totally worth the effort and time.

Beautiful trail with manageable level of difficulty

Did this hike on May 10, 2018. 4 adults physically fit. Once you get to the hangover, I would highly recommend doing the loop in a clockwise direction. Also know that this should not be labeled as Moderate. It should be listed as Hard. It’s very long 8.7 miles, and today was hot (93 degrees), not a lot of shade, steep climbing (even scrambling in a few areas), and in several areas you are “hanging over” narrow ledges. If you have a fear of heights this hike is probably not for you. Bring lots of water!! The top today was very windy with gusts around 40+mph.

We did Bear Mountain 3 days ago, so I feel the rating of hard should be placed on this hike as well. I personally thought Bear was just as challenging as the Hangover (just not as steep).

Overall, this hike is excellent and offers the best views on any hike in Sedona, of Sedona! Total hike time from Munds Trail parking doing Hangover and Cow pies was 3 1/2 hours. We moved pretty fast. I’d do it again.

This was my favorite hike. We only saw one other person on this trail and that was at the beginning. You can climb over the giant red rocks and you’ll have an amazing view of the canyon that leads to Sedona. The views are AMAZING! We did this hike in the evening, so we didn’t complete the entire trail, but our views of the sunset were incredible. We stumbled upon this trail from Schnebly Road while on a quad ride. Please note: you need a high clearance vehicle to use this road. There is an area to park just across from the cowpie loop trail.

Best hike in the Sedona area. Not a lot of people. Views are spectacular and you are climbing on the rocks!!! Hiking shoes a must and steady on your feet.

When I discovered this trail a few years back it became my favorite. Love coming over the ridge from the cow pies. Thanks goes to the bikers who created this trail.

Fanstasic hike! Moderate for sure, steady incline and there are some challenging rock shimmy/climbs. Beautiful and varying scenery everywhere you look. Park at the trail head and head in. When you get to the Y, for Hangover Trail or Cowpies, take Hangover. It will connect with cowpies and there are some rock climbs that are easier to go up than down. Lots of switchbacks, wear good grip shoes, bring lots of water because it is a 4-5 hour hike if you do the full loop. I would do it again if I come back, it is that good! Have fun!

Took us 8.5 miles and 5 hours to complete this awesome trail with views in every direction including a 360 degree vantage point about mid way thru it; big effort but well worth it. Bring lots of water and plan on a jacuzzi when done

Definitely one of the best hikes I have been on. You get the best views of Sedona! This trail has a steady incline.

This trail is in no way an easy trail. This involves an elevation climb through switchbacks, then reaches the summit by scampering up rock faces on your hands and knees. We are avid hikers and had to turn back at the top because the weather turned and wind became dangerous on the precarious rock edges. But, it was epic and breathtaking. Given prior warning of its intensity, leave the dogs and kids at home, take your time and enjoy this hike. It is awesome.

This is our fourth trip to the Sedona area. This hike was by far the best we have ever been on. Magnificent views all around. It was not that difficult of a hike. Highly recommended!

March1, 2018 - 52 degrees. Awesome trail! Most scenic in Sedona in my opinion. Weather was perfect - t-shirt most of the time - long sleeve on back side. There was 4-5 inches of show on back side which wasn’t ideal but not too treacherous. We are 58 and 60 and was an easy hike for us, however I would not rate it as EASY. More like moderate mainly for skill level. Not too strenuous but you must be somewhat agile and able to run, jump and climb. A lot of the hike is on the huge mountain red rocks so you have to be able to scurry up these rocks and more importantly able to maintain control coming off them as some drops are steep. Not for small children or less than average hikers. Couple of tips: don’t carry your cell phone in back pocket as you need your butt to get down some rocks in a few spots - and we started at the actual cow pies/hangover trail head which is located down Schebly Road which is not fit for cars - took us almost 45 minutes to get to trail head from Huckaby trail head to the cow pie/hangover trail head and we have a pickup truck and dragged bottom on our running boards coming out. I would hike the extra mile and half from the Huckaby Trailhead if we did it again.

We had to push the pace because we got a late start and wanted to catch the sunset. So I don’t know if the hike challenged us because of the terrain or our pace. Regardless, it was completely worth it. One of if not the best hike my wife and I have done in years. Spectacular views and landscapes you just feel lucky to be able to walk through. The hangover section raised my level of respect for mountain bikers; challenging enough in boots - hard to imagine on two wheels. I’d rate it as a moderate and not to be missed.

This hike is a stunner. But, it definitely NOT easy. There are many sections where you have to scramble up or down slick red rock. Even my 60 lb dog had problems here and there. I'd say it's an intermediate for sure. Not steep, but definitely tricky in spots.

Great views and fun trail.

great trail. one of my husband's favorites. the munds wagon portion wasn't too exciting but the return on hangover was incredible

It was a lovely hike up top through the red rock. The lower Mund’s wagon trail was pretty but nothing super special. Would be absolutely beautiful with water running through it.

My wife and I hiked this trail today.
First off it was a fabulous hike. There were some sections that were challenging. But all in all it was a great day.
I would not call this hike easy and it is not kid friendly as described here.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Beautiful hike, not too difficult or too easy (moderate woud be a more appropriate ranking). Trail is easy to follow, where there're no cairns you'll find small white arrows painted on the rocks (some of them are fading though). Nice views on surroundings and nearby rock formations. We hiked on a Saturday and only saw two other hikers and two bikers.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Should not be rated easy if you go on the Hangover Loop, it's an incredible hike but it takes a while and has some steep areas. Should be rated moderate. But seriously, do the loop. It's incredible. One of the best hikes in Sedona!