Courthouse Butte Loop Trail

Courthouse Butte Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

South Trailhead: Bell Rock Vista and Pathway trailhead (South of Bell Rock): from the junction of Routes 89A and 179 in Sedona, take 179 south 6.5 miles to a left turn lane marked for Bell Rock Vista, milepost 307.1 for the south trailhead. North Trailhead: Courthouse Vista Trailhead (north of Bell Rock): From the junction of Routes 89A and 179 in Sedona, take 179 south 5.2 miles to a left turn lane marked for Courthouse Vista, milepost 308.2. Turn left, then across the northbound lane to the trailhead on the east side of the road.

Smiles all around. Off season; rarely saw any people. Spectacular scenery. Don’t forget to seek our Space Ship Rock. Hike to the back and climb to the top. Raced the sun to the top of Bell Rock for a geocache. Flashlights to climb down, and another hour night hiking to get back to the parking lot (near Circle K). Caught a predator tracking us on the west side of Bell rock. Thankful for glowing eyes and tactical flashlights.

Picturesque. Easy to find. Spots to climb a little and take photos.

Nice loop trail that was well maintained and clearly marked. Added on the Bell Rock Climb which was a little tough for me. Lots of photo ops! Take enough water!

Nice moderate trail with lovely scenery. We parked at the vista parking and hiked clockwise. Most people were going the opposite way but we appreciated the downhill, sun at back later and views. Also less crowded. Parking busy but people were coming and going so we waited just a couple of minutes for a spot. Used national park pass to park. Took about an hour 45 at moderate pace.

Come early to avoid getting shut out due to lack of parking! There is a fee machine, so no need to wait until it opens. Several trails originate at the same spot, so the lot fills up quickly. Very little shade, so going early in the day is key. Fortunately it's not too difficult, which is a good thing because the views are so spectacular that it's hard to focus on where you're walking! I don't think I would ever tire of this trail. The views are jaw dropping at every turn.

Pure beauty. I recommend going at sunrise to take in the fresh am viibes and beat the crowds, I imagine it gets pretty busy during the day.

We really liked the dry water beds and the variety of shade and open air. We are old so it kicked our ass a bit and we don't understand why because 4 miles isn't that big of a deal. We has confused.

I felt the Trail was too easy. However the views were worth it.

A nice combination of shade, open terrain, slick rock, dried stream beds and incredible views. We did the trail in a counter clockwise direction which I believe offers the best views.

EASY trail. A beautiful walk/hike that allows you to take in the red rock scenery

Puts the Awe in awesome! After parking, begin with the Bell Rock Pathway. This connects with Courthouse Butte Trail. Many thanks to the biker who told us (when looping clockwise), keep Courthouse Butte to your right shoulder. It was beautiful.

Great trail. Great views of many formations.

Great hike for my husband and myself. We got there at 8:30 AM before the heat and too many people were on the trails. The views were ever changing as we walked around Courthouse Butte. The distance was the right amount to travel. Water and a sandwich was very helpful.

Great trail! Less traveled by others. Flat most of the way with a few little step up over the rocks spots. Beautiful views all arounds, lots of different flowers, and varieties of birds. Really enjoyed this trail. Make sure to watch the trail heads. Easy to turn the wrong way at several points at the dried creek beds. Would do this again in a minute!

We loved this hike. Saw a few more people on this hike (than yesterday at Cockscomb), but was still surprised there weren't more people on the trail.
Gorgeous views as you hike around the loop. Easy to follow the path and the stone pylons marking the trail.
We started at 730am and we're finished by 915am. According to the app, we did 4.4 miles in 1:19 (moving time). Stopped for photos along the way and water time for Bella the boxer.
LEVEL: I would give this a 4 out of 10 (10 being the hardest). It's not too tough, but lots of small ups and downs over rocks and stones. I only twisted my ankle twice on this one. I guess that would be a 2 on the ankle scale.
Would do this hike again in a heartbeat.
(Parking lot has machine for pass.)

Really nice walk - no major ups or downs - beautiful views and ever changing scenery - loved it!

Beautiful trail. Not a lot of traffic. I would call it easy-moderate (and I'm not currently in shape).

Great views, but best from atop Baby Bell.

this is a very easy Trail and one that just about anybody could take. it starts out a little boring down a little dirt path, but don't give up the more you get into this Trail the more beautiful it becomes and the more views your able to see. do the whole Loop and as you do if you walk around the entire rock formation of Courthouse Butte and this seemed just keeps changing and changing and changing. When you get to the back, look for the muffin top formation or some people call it the cupcake formation, and do a little climb to the top of it by going to the back of it and there's a very easy way to get some hike up there and the views from up there are just stunning. as I sat on top of muffin top and looked out, I was looking on the scene from every western movie I've ever watched. really fun and doable hike!

Hiked bell pathway to courthouse loop, and it was a nice morning trail. Went mid janurary and there was some snow on the higher portions of the rocks. Really enjoyed how close the trail takes you to the red rocks and the contrast between the flat land on the southern portion and the rocks farther north. Melting snow caused a beautiful stream area halfway through.