Courthouse Butte Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(628)
Munds Mountain Wilderness

Courthouse Butte Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 357 feet Route Type: Loop

South Trailhead: Bell Rock Vista and Pathway trailhead (South of Bell Rock): from the junction of Routes 89A and 179 in Sedona, take 179 south 6.5 miles to a left turn lane marked for Bell Rock Vista, milepost 307.1 for the south trailhead. North Trailhead: Courthouse Vista Trailhead (north of Bell Rock): From the junction of Routes 89A and 179 in Sedona, take 179 south 5.2 miles to a left turn lane marked for Courthouse Vista, milepost 308.2. Turn left, then across the northbound lane to the trailhead on the east side of the road. Note: Bikes are only allowed on the Bell Rock Pathway portion of this loop.

One of my favorite places!! I like this hike it’s out of the mainstream of Sedona. Beautiful day today! Got hot at 10:30 am. So many people without masks??? I don’t get it there isn’t a vaccine yet? It’s kinda sad no one cares about trying to get this virus more manageable. But other than that hike was fun!

Easy, flat, soft sand walk. Great views of bell rock, courthouse butte, and baby bell rock. Would be great for a run or a sunset/sunrise dog walk.

Easy hike around the Courthouse Butte. The trail is rocky and sandy at times. The trail is marked very well. This is an easy hike which takes about an hour. For extra fun, go climb around Bell Rock before or after you do the Courthouse loop.

Spectacular views hardly any elevation to speak of.

fee

Nice moderate hike. Really pretty views and cool river beds to meander along the trail. Bring sun screen.

hiked this morning. The parking lot was a challenge. Hike was an appropriate challenge for a middle-aged fairly fit couple. Glorious views!

Trails were really good. More shade on the back side, with fuller sun on the front, so dress accordingly. Trails are pretty popular and narrow at spots. I was trail running and got slowed a few times, so keep that in mind. Running wise, the elevation was too different from hilly streets.

Great trail with diverse scenery. Not much elevation change and nice well marked trail. Dog friendly

Took Rector Trail shortcut between Bell and Courthouse. Rector Trail is on the Park map but not on All Trails.

Today is my last day in Sedona and I wanted something not too challenging and peaceful. I got here around 9am and it was a bit chilly and there weren't many cars in the lot. It was a beautiful final hike this time around in Sedona. The views were spectacular. There were a few times I just stopped to take it all in and really appreciate what Mother Nature has given us. Highly recommend!

Started on the courthouse Butte trail and did most of it but ended it through the rector trail which cut through the mesas. Picturesque the whole way. We had great weather with clear sky's, a breeze, and 61°F.

Really nice trail! Flat most of the way, wide trail, and well marked. You hike around Courthouse rock and the different views make the the hike so nice the whole way!

Nice views. More of a walk. I’d definitely combine with a bell rock scramble .

Easy with pretty views

One of my favorites! Easy scenic loop. Courthouse Butte is one of my favorite rock formations here and the vortex was just magical and felt so special. The energy is so pure

Easy loop, and I liked that everyone just treated Bell Rock like a playground and climbed all over it. With that said I do wish there was a clearer trail to the top. I would’ve liked to try and go higher but I didn’t have much guidance on how to do so

recorded Courthouse Butte Loop Trail

Easy, fairly flat hike. We loved all the little hidden streams and small waterfalls around the back side of the butte. Finished it up with a scramble up Baby bell and Bell Rock. Great day!

Incredible hike. My wife, two sons (18 & 15) and I loved it. I would agree this hike is on the easy side of moderate. Nothing overly challenging. The trail was pretty muddy/wet and there was a little bit of snow left over from last night's flurry but it was fine with hiking boots. We all agreed this one was one of our favorites. Parking can be tricky. We got there at 10am and got one of the last spots. Highly recommend this trail.

Beautiful trail on a warm December afternoon

fee

Would consider this trail on the Easy side of the Moderate rating. Completed it in under 2 hours including photo stops, but did not do any climbs which I would recommend to leave enough time for. The scenery, vegetation and trail changes a few times as you make your way around the base, which is really neat. There are some rocky ups and downs but nothing I would consider an accent/descent. All paths are reasonably well marked. Go early to get a spot in the small parking lot; daily park pass of $5 can be purchased on site.

Great trail if you are looking for a nice stroll through the area. Very exposed to the sun, would highly recommend sunscreen and plenty of water if doing this trail when it was hot. Make sure to climb up the trail to Bell Rock, and be sure to follow the carins as there are some sketchy spots to get through if you get off the beaten path.