Cockscomb Loop Trail is a 5.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 469 feet Route Type: Loop

Trail was nice, but is closer to 6 miles total. Great views as you round the loop!

Nice relative easy loop around the base of Doe MtN. 6 miles from Fay Canyon parking lot

A nice hike without many difficult areas. There's a lot of variety in scenery as you make your way around this trail. My recording put this trail at 6 miles and just under 2 hours. There are multiple entries to this trail but I started at the Fay Canyon trailhead parking lot. Started early on the morning and it wasn't busy at all. Makes for a good biking or running trail as well.

Nice easy fun and scenic trail. Was actually closer to 6 miles than 5 like the description says though.

Nice trail! Did it with my family it wasn’t too much up and down. My 9 and 11 year old survived. Hardly anyone in the trail which was nice! Quiet and serine.

One of our favorite trails in AZ!! Highly recommend taking the outer limits trail for some extra elevation and amazing views! It will connect back up with Cockscomb after you’re off the mountain.

I got off trail and needed rescue lol. My first trail ever and I went solo. My rescue was a Jeep I seen on a tour. I had amazing experience and there’s definitely more to this trail story! Good luck ppl and I’m sure you’re more experienced than me lol.

The 1st mile of Airey to cockscomb is the most fun you can have on two wheels! The backside of Cockscomb loop is rocky in a little frustrating, but overall this trail is well worth the effort.

Last mile in a half very pretty view of Doe Mountain. High bike traffic

Really neat trail and a good length. Cockscomb is good for dogs, but Aerie where it looks with is not as there are multiple mountain bikers and not a place to move out of the way for them. Lots of cacti right near the trail, so be wary. Beautiful views. Lots of red dirt and rocks, so be prepared to get dusty. The dogs ended up extremely dirty from the dust. We went at 10:30 and finished around 3pm. We took multiple camera breaks. Going counter clockwise makes that elevation climb at the end rough, but it was doable.

Great trail !!!

Mon May 06 2019

So I began my hike at Doe Mountain Trailhead. I took the Arie Loop to Cockscomb and it ended up being a 5.8mile loop. I wish I would've had my mountain bike, because it ended up being a really cool bike trail. But, it was also a lovely hike, with minimal gradient and nice views. I did have to be diligent about watching for bikers, but this was not really an issue and every one on the trail was very courteous.

Fri Apr 19 2019

I started at 4:30 pm and was rewarded towards the end with a beautiful full moon rising over the hills across the valley . The few mountain bikers I saw were very courteous.

Wed Apr 17 2019

Nice hiking/birding trail in the spring. Great views and varied trees bushes and grass.

Sat Apr 13 2019

very nice Trail. nice scenery. the Aries Trail portion of the loop was narrow and congested with bikes.

Sun Feb 17 2019

We added on to the loop trail and climbed Cockscomb Mtn. There was some scrambling but the views from the top were well worth it. The loop trail is gentle with a few short climbs near Doe Mtn. Nice trail for an easier day.

Sat Jan 26 2019

Some very nice views, but doesn't have some of the spectacular sights of other Sedona trails. This was a good easier day between harder hikes of Bear Mountain and Wilson Mt. We also did Fay Canyon on the same day since these trails share the same parking lot. There were a decent number of mountain bikers on this trail, but all were polite when passing.

Tue Dec 18 2018

Great mountain biking extension from the Aerie Trail. Enjoyable and areas of smooth, brisk riding :)

Sat Nov 03 2018

Start at Doe Mountain parking, go clockwise for big views early in the hike! Backside is mostly trek around base of mountain with a few views. At end of the hike we did run into a group with about 20 bikes... otherwise had trail mostly to ourselves. If you have the energy finish with the hike up Doe mountain... it is short, but steep, with good views from the top. The loop is 5.4 miles not counting Doe mountain.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Loved it. Beautiful vistas and not that difficult.

Sun Oct 14 2018

Great hike with many wonderful views.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Excellent, easy, relatively flat trail. Terrific views the entire way. We started at 6am and finished in just over two hours walking the loop.

Wed May 02 2018

Easy trail, good length. We clocked it at 5.7 miles. Gorgeous views and amazing wildflowers. We started before 8 am on a weekday. We had the trail to ourselves for the first hour. By the time we were finishing the loop we were stepping aside for mountain bikes every few minutes.

Thu Mar 01 2018

wow! great views and this was our first trail we hiked in AZ. This will not disappoint

Thu Mar 01 2018

Perfect views of the Red Rocks and a good workout but easy enough!

Thu Feb 15 2018

Great hike.

Tue Jan 02 2018

Great trail. Would say on easier side. Great views and beware good amount of bikers on trail. Much more than hikers.