Cochise Stronghold Trails

Cochise Stronghold Trails is a 8.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pearce, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Cochise Stronghold Trail is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Pearce/Sunsites, Arizona. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from October until April. Dogs, Horses and Pack Animals (Donkeys, Mules, Llama) are also able to use this trail.

Did it from Cochise stronghold. I would not rate this trail as difficult. Nice landscapes.

Review for the WEST end trailhead. Do NOT follow the Google map. Take 80 to Middlemarch Rd then FR 687. I used the app map option once on Middlemarch Rd to trail
FR 687 is a VERY rough rd. I took my 2 wheel drive truck but would not again. Takes a long time to reach the trail
However once on, its a beautiful trail! Loved it!
Gorgeous scenery. I went little the East/West Trail Divide sign and could see the West end is definitely more scenic so we turned back

This hike is great. Great views and interesting geology. This area is very dry and can be very hot. The campground on the east side closes 6/1 through 9/1. Would suggest hiking after 11/1. Rattelsnake are very prevalent. We saw a group of coatimundi and a lot of trantula. The creek was flowing as it had rained a few days before. Small waterfalls were seen

as someone else said, "this trail has everything "One of the prettiest trails I have hiked.

Great hike through beautiful rock formations. Hiked on a Monday, no one around. Had the whole place to ourselves. Very nice hike!

Nice hike on the dragoon’s

A great winter hike. Water running end of February. Beautiful!

Wonderful hike with spectacular views. Great rock formations and plenty of vegetation to see. This trail has it all. We left early and had the divide all to ourselves. Will do again soon!

Awesome trail with amazing rock formations of the stronghold. Surprisingly lush area around Cochise Spring. I hiked up to the divide and then returned to the trail head. I highly recommend this trail.

If you want to hike from the West Stronghold, DON'T follow Google maps which directs you up Hwy 80 to Horse Ranch Rd, a gated road through private land. Instead, follow Middlemarch Rd from Tombstone to Forest Rd 687 to the West Stronghold. After hitting the private road, we followed the directions below from Rt 191 which actually leads to the East Stronghold. Nice hike but not the one we planned to do. Beware, other hikers said the Forest Road is very rough and not suitable for a regular car. Good luck and enjoy whichever route you do take!

Was a scenic hike with views of the mountains. The trees and plants were nice as we passed by large Boulders. Have to watch your step as there is variety of rocks in the trail. The coarse sand caused me to slip once because it isn’t secure footing. Would do it again

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Beautiful views and rock formations. We went 2 miles up to the dam and the trail was easy to moderate. The signage in parking/camping area is confusing--implies that the trailhead is only for the short interpretive trail--but if you keep going it leads into the longer trail options.

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Beautiful area, I hiked up to the divide and back.

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

This is a good moderate hike on a well maintained trail. Lots of scenic views. There are a lot of good historical plaques at the beginning of the trail that are not to be missed if you are a history buff. There is also a short nature hike section at the beginning that will help you identify the plants and trees. Be sure to take plenty of water. It gets quit hot between late April and mid October. We went in September and it was in the mid 90’s. It is my understanding that the $5.00 fee is if you park in the campground area.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Excellent moderate hike and unique views of rock formations. Historical area. In October 2017 it was bone dry so bring a lot of water.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

We love this trail! Our first time was by horseback, but we hiked from the campground the second time we went. The boulders up the ravine are cool to hike under, they are left of the trailhead. Lots of exploring to do off the trail. Half moon tank is nice around the 3 mile mark I believe.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Great hike with nice views only a mile in

Monday, April 03, 2017

Great hike but not so sure where we were supposed to go in. So we ended up at the campground which costs to park if you're not staying there. It's 10 without a senior pass and 5 with one. We drove to Pearce on rt 191 and turned onto Ironwood Rd. There's a sign for the Stronghold. Follow the road and it becomes dirt and can be a little bumpy but not bad. At the campground head for the trail marked Cochise Nature Trail. You go over a small wooden bridge. The nature trail is only 1/4 mile long but halfway up that trail you see signs for Cochise trail west. I've included pics of the signage. We followed this up for a mile and came to a resting spot with a little spring and some clear cool water. We continued up for another 1/2 mile to see some wonderful rock formations. My husband got tired so we turned back at this point. The trail itself is easy to moderate but gravelly so watch your footing in some spots.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

If you have a choice, start your hike from the West Stronghold. I saw several people who started from the east turn around at the 3 mile marker, which is the divide...not halfway point...between the East and West Strongholds, which means they missed the best views.

The best views, by far, are between the Divide and the West Stronghold Trailhead.

Friday, November 13, 2015

We have hiked this many times, mostly to the Divide and back which is a 6 mile round trip. I hiked it once from the east side of the stronghold to the west side and back. This is about a 10 mile round trip, and the west side is more rugged but Oh so beautiful. This is one of my favorite places to hike.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Excellent trail Map is incorrect. Trail is west of Sunsites, not sahuarita. So trailhead approx 1 hr east of Tucson. We hike there a lot, year around.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

great trail, everywhere you go is beautiful. Lots of wild life as well as the many different ecosystems. all views are breathtaking.

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Very nice hike. Not too strenuous but definitely not flat. Rock formations are fantastic as you get into the last 1/3 of the hike (closer to the divide and the turnaround point). The trail is clearly marked. I hiked on a weekday and can't recall seeing anyone else on the trail the entire afternoon. Which is how I like it. Cochise Stronghold is a special fee area so you will still have to pay $5 to hike even if you have a National Park pass. Happy hiking and be safe!

Monday, March 17, 2014

Pretty straight forward trail. Well maintained. Didn't hike the entire way, there's a small cairn just after the Stronghold Divide marking another trail that takes you through a canyon that's a little more strenuous but a lot of fun.I would recommend it!

Monday, September 17, 2012

This is worth your time and you will feel good in the end. Great trail! about 10 miles total. 6 hrs comfortably.

Monday, October 11, 2010

A beautiful early spring or late autumn hike up and over Stronghold Divide. Start on the east side, then hike up and over the pass and down to the west side. Return about a mile for a good spot for lunch. Then continue back up to the pass and back to your vehicles at the entry trailhead.

Saturday, November 25, 2017