Cochise Stronghold Trails

Cochise Stronghold Trails is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pearce, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from October until April. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Cochise Stronghold Trail is a 6 mile out and back trail located near Pearce/Sunsites, Arizona. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from October until April. Dogs, Horses and Pack Animals (Donkeys, Mules, Llama) are also able to use this trail.

We love this trail! Our first time was by horseback, but we hiked from the campground the second time we went. The boulders up the ravine are cool to hike under, they are left of the trailhead. Lots of exploring to do off the trail. Half moon tank is nice around the 3 mile mark I believe.

Great hike but not so sure where we were supposed to go in. So we ended up at the campground which costs to park if you're not staying there. It's 10 without a senior pass and 5 with one. We drove to Pearce on rt 191 and turned onto Ironwood Rd. There's a sign for the Stronghold. Follow the road and it becomes dirt and can be a little bumpy but not bad. At the campground head for the trail marked Cochise Nature Trail. You go over a small wooden bridge. The nature trail is only 1/4 mile long but halfway up that trail you see signs for Cochise trail west. I've included pics of the signage. We followed this up for a mile and came to a resting spot with a little spring and some clear cool water. We continued up for another 1/2 mile to see some wonderful rock formations. My husband got tired so we turned back at this point. The trail itself is easy to moderate but gravelly so watch your footing in some spots.

If you have a choice, start your hike from the West Stronghold. I saw several people who started from the east turn around at the 3 mile marker, which is the divide...not halfway point...between the East and West Strongholds, which means they missed the best views.

The best views, by far, are between the Divide and the West Stronghold Trailhead.

Friday, November 13, 2015

We have hiked this many times, mostly to the Divide and back which is a 6 mile round trip. I hiked it once from the east side of the stronghold to the west side and back. This is about a 10 mile round trip, and the west side is more rugged but Oh so beautiful. This is one of my favorite places to hike.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

great trail, everywhere you go is beautiful. Lots of wild life as well as the many different ecosystems. all views are breathtaking.

Monday, April 07, 2014

Monday, March 17, 2014

Pretty straight forward trail. Well maintained. Didn't hike the entire way, there's a small cairn just after the Stronghold Divide marking another trail that takes you through a canyon that's a little more strenuous but a lot of fun.I would recommend it!

Monday, September 17, 2012

This is worth your time and you will feel good in the end. Great trail! about 10 miles total. 6 hrs comfortably.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012