New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Christmas Tree Trail

Christmas Tree Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 462 feet Route Type: Out & Back

11/28 Turkey day hike. I started at the Elden Parking Lot, took a right onto the Fatman's Loop and caught the Christmas Tree Trail where it branches (to the right) off the Loop. It's easy to moderate with some rocky sections. A barely noticeable incline of @ 300' in 2.25 mi. I hiked to the Heart Trail Sign and back. Lots of Meadows and the occasional glimpses of Mt Elden. A decent maintenance hike. The trail has occasional markers so keep an eye out for them and you won't get lost

Great trail but poorly marked. Got lost on another trail as several trails intersect. Still a great hike to acclimate yourself to the elevation

The out portion was a bit too much for our little dog. Had to stop often. Back portion was downhill and much easier on him.

Excellent trail for those not in the best of shape but who want to get out and have something more than a paved trail. I think this trail is slightly easier than moderate. We continued about halfway up the Heart Trail as well before heading back the way we came to the KOA. These trails are all super convenient from the KOA.

Mon Sep 10 2018

This was a very easy trail to hike through. It’s very flat so I imagine dogs and children also enjoy this trail. We were hungover and did this hike with dark clouds in the sky and not a single other person on the trail with us. It was really quiet and ideal for what we wanted, though I generally hike more challenging and grueling mountain trails. We saw a lot of lizards and an adorable little lizard. He was probably 2 inches tall. The best part of this trail was the amazing pine scent! The entire time I felt like it was Christmas. :)

Sun Aug 19 2018

Good morning hike to get blood flowing, not much for views

Fri Jul 21 2017

Did this trail today (7/20/17), started at 9am and ran into only 3 people the duration of the out and back trail. Easy to follow the trail. Lots of fun little bugs flying around the pathway. Most people seem to take the other trails so this trail was less traveled. We brought our dog with us and he thoroughly enjoyed it! *No trash cans or bathrooms for waste* pack it in, pack it out!

ohv/off road driving
Tue May 23 2017

Great trail easy for Jeeping.

Sun Mar 19 2017

This trail is beautiful, shaded, and fairly level. I did this hike a little before sunset and got quite turned around. There are many social trails that leave this trail and head back toward the highway. Usually it's easy to tell which trails are which, but here the social trails are just as wide and well traveled as the Christmas Tree trail, making it hard to know whether you are on the actual trail or not. I picked up the trail where Sandy Seep meets it and hiked it most of the way. In turning around I mistakenly followed a wide social trail which turned into a thin bike track. I recommend not hiking this at dusk and making sure you have a GPS with you or some way to know which direction you need to be going.

Sat Oct 29 2016

This was an ok hike, used this to extend our hike as there are a lot of loops in the area.

Sat May 28 2016

Decent trail for a beginner. Most of it you're walking through forest on easily identifiable trails. Good for a quick walk with the dog.

Fri Aug 07 2015

It's a pretty walk through the forrest with a gentle incline going north. I did this from Fatman's Loop to Sandy Seep as part of a larger loop.

Thu Jun 18 2015

Good hike. It has more shade and a more gradual climb then Fatman Loop.

recorded Recording - Jun 25, 02:37 PM