Cholla Trail

Cholla Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until May.

Trailhead is on Cholla Lane. Parking available on Invergordon Street.

A bit easier than Echo Canyon trail, but the final part of this trail is still a doozy! I hate climbing down steep things so I did some sliding on my butt on the big rocks. Views are great! Parking along the street can be competitive, so sometimes you'll have to walk around half a mile or more just to get to the trail head. Almost a complete 180 from the hiking terrain of Echo Canyon. This is a much smoother trail with a lot less rock climbing and stepping over boulders. Good trail!

Awesome trail, a lot of uphill scrambling/climbing, and a ton of Chuckwallas lurking around.

Awesome trail, great view, and we saw 11 chuckwallas which was an added bonus!

Having done both trails, Echo Canyon and Cholla Trail, I do think Cholla is a tad easier and more of a gradual climb than the other side. Still difficult. My advice is get there early. When we were done at 7:30am, trail and parking was packed. It was a good 3/10 of a mile from where we parked go trailhead.