Cholla Trail

Cholla Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is best used from September until May.

Trailhead is on Cholla Lane. Parking available on Invergordon Street.

I rated this a 5 because it has all the elements of a great hike: great views, good workout, path is everchanging and definitely not borring. I'm not in good shape nor are 2 of my family members but our family of 5 still made it to the top.

Steep hike, lots of scrambling. Wear gloves. Very crowded. Take your time and be safe. Bring lots of water. Top has incredible views but it's like a party up there. Go early. Don't blindly follow people as at the top it's easy to climb down and miss the trail at certain points and find yourself off trail. Parking is challenging. If you can get someone to drop you off and pick you up, that is best. It is challenging so be prepared.

This is an easier ascent to the summit of Camelback Mountain than the approach from Echo Canyon trail and an easier descent I believe. Very crowded during the most reasonable times to hike which is early morning or late evening. I didn't find the views from this side of the mountain as impressive as the beautiful flowers that were ON the mountain.

Great hike but way too crowded, as to be expected since it's in the middle of the city. I've done a few times but prefer alternate less crowded hikes.

Great view, nice, exciting trail. Parking was a pain and there were a ton of people but I would do it again.

Hard but fun!!

Great hike- WAAAAAAY OVER CROWDED. Get there early if you don't want to basically follow people up the mountain the whole time.

Great city views from the top but wow - crazy amounts of people. I bet if we went at 6 AM instead of at 8 it would have been more enjoyable but we were dodging tons of people on this hike. We aren't sprint up the mountain people but not slow by any means and we were held up so many times. I can't imagine trying to do this as a real workout. I mean it got our heart rates up in some spots but that's about it. There were SO many rude people hiking without any common sense / etiquette (and so many tourists who thought they would be "just fine" with a small water bottle) it really deterred from the experience. Having liven in the Phoenix valley for almost 2 years now, today was my first camelback hike due to many saying how it's not "THAT" amazing to deal with all of the people and I now get that. It has the potential to be super pretty and we still had fun but I'll stick to the Superstitions any day :) if you want a challenging hike with great views without all of the craziness, go east! Flatiron was way more challenging and the views were 10 times better but I'm glad that I checked it off of my bucket list today but I may wait to give it another shot til December when more people will be out of town :) if you are going to do this hike, bring at least 2 liters of water with you and don't do this if you aren't at least in moderate shape! Don't do what others have done as yet another tourist had to be evacuated from the mountain today. Sad!

Great hiking, a lot more people than I expected but still a great experience.