Chiva Falls Loop Trail

Chiva Falls Loop Trail is a 16.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tucson, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Great trail I took my dual sport on this trail and had a blast! We took the super gnarly trail up once we past the falls. Then we went to the pools as well. If you can't ride over rocks and boulders don't go. I watch two older guys and they only went about 1/2 mile down the trail and turned around because it was too rough for them

off road driving

Moderate rock crawling with pools and waterfalls to cool off in part way through. Great ride.

You will need a vehicle with decent ground clearance to reach the trail head. I had a Subaru Outback with 9in of clearance and was alright. We enjoyed the trail, however 1/3 of it is through a running stream. This may be because we went during the rainy season (August). When looking at the map, the stream is the first trail junction to the right.

The views on this loop are great. The falls are particularly pretty. It is a very tough trail though. Did this in March 2017 and I carried several gallons of water.

Nice drive. Lots of fun!

Reading one of the reviews below, I think they are mistaking this area for what bears a striking resemblance to Sabino Canyon. There is no tram that runs anywhere near Chiva Falls. The roads into this place are really rough. 4 x 4 for sure. I drove all the way to Tanque Verde creek, then crossed it and parked on the south side. We walked from there to the falls. The road from there to the falls is beyond ugly. Hard to believe a vehicle can even do it, but they do. It's not a far hike at all from where I parked, and the falls had a good flow of water going over that day. This whole area back in here is full of nasty roads. Big jeeping area. If you have a 4 x 4 and there's been recent rain or snow melt, the falls are worth seeing. You can climb up right behind the falls too.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

This hike is very easy, at least the 7 miles that we did. The first four are on the tram road which is not my definition of hiking however if you want to beat the heat you go early and unfortunately the tram doesn't start running until 9a. We left at about 7:30 and were almost to the dirt trail by the time it made its first loop.
The first part of the dirt trail seemed promising with a nice switchback set however that's as hard as this hike got. By the time we got to crossing the river, I think we were about a mile away from the pools we stopped. At first we thought we were there and there isn't a marker to see the trail continues. In any case the river crossing was a nice place to stop and relax, I even got to a point where it was about 5 ft deep. The trail is nice but next time I'll wait to take the tram and be sure to finish, very easy hike though. Keep that in mind if you are more of a challenge hiker like myself

Monday, May 27, 2013

Took this trail with my K5 Blazer, the trail itself is about a two or three but there are some obstacles that are definitely a four, like Three Feathers.
high ground clearance and 4x4 is a must.