Chimney Rocks Pass is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 374 feet Route Type: Loop

Really beautiful time of year to go out and do this hike!

Easy climb with great views!

The trail gets a little confusing at times when it says Thunder Mountain but you are still on the Chimney Rock Trail. Use the app to help guide you.

Light to moderate

This was a nice easy trail with good views. We also did the trail to the summit which was a bit of a scramble and not well marked, but it was well worth it, the views were great!

Fairly easy trail with great scenery. Took my 8-year old and went up to the base of the chimney and back down. We had a great time and the weather was perfect!

Easy climb. Spectacular views! Broke off trail and ascended to the base, which was a difficult climb but worthwhile.

Easy to follow trail with views at every turn. Only took me about 45 min to complete it. Would recommend.

Great views, minimal climbing.

really good EZ trail. it might get you huffing and puffing if you're not used to the elevation. but pretty basic. but gorgeous views. used about a liter and a half of water and several shady spots to enjoy a little mini picnic :-) Did this in the fall, so it was very bearable. get out there and explore! well that's why you're here probably :-) #chiefUNcut

One of my favorite from the few we did in Sedona. We did it counter clock-wise, mostly fairly easy except for a sharp climb mid-trail. But it was worth the climb, the view is spectacular.

Great quick trail to hike, if you add on the summit trail to lower chimney rock there’s a great view of the surrounding area. The summit trail does get a bit steep but its not a lot of extra distance. Great option if you want to see the landscape but only have a couple hours.

Good trail. Easy climb. Go early in summer

good Hike, moderate I'd say! we did go off trail to get some other pictures so we did not do the whole loop. We did get to see a tarantula so that was kinda cool. ( My husband I think peed a little) lol .

Great hike, especially in the morning as the first half of the trail is full sun. Some rocky sections but straightforward to navigate. wonderful views and photo opportunities.

Sat May 25 2019

Great hike with spectacular views of the Sedona Valley. A little more difficult than the “easy” rating, but well worth the trip. A lot of steps to get to the summit of the pass. Loved it.

Sun May 12 2019

A quick little path we did before sunset and I was surprised that it was closer to a moderate path, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. There are little trails up to the vortex that looked fun but we didn’t have time to go because it was getting dark.

Sat May 04 2019

Stunning views and plant life.

Thu Apr 04 2019

We did this one after a large lunch and just wanted an easy loop. This loop is bordered by neighborhoods. We took the L Chimney route to Thunder Mtn Trail. It was the better choice; a gradual climb to the high point above Andante TH. Approaching from the other direction is a steep climb. 5 pm and got some beautiful views of sunset.

Fri Mar 15 2019

Great option if you have a couple of hours. It’s not the one you’ll add to the bucket list but it’s beautiful and serene and right in town.

Wed Mar 06 2019

Nice hike - good views - not overly crowded.

Sun Feb 24 2019

everything's covered in snow! the summit is a must! the trail otherwise is gorgeous, not challenging at all.

Tue Jan 01 2019

Great hike. Did after a fresh snowfall. Around the back (about halfway), there’s actually a subtlety marked trail to hike up to the actual chimney rock. Worth it and amazing views (you can look at the recorded map of our hike).

Thu Oct 11 2018

We decided to go counterclockwise as others suggested. Did the full loop with lower chimney and upper chimney. Upper chimney is a bit steeper and more strenuous, but was glad we added it in to the otherwise easy and relatively flat lower chimney loop. Took us about 75 mins total with some short breaks, about 2.3 miles according to the trail map. Great views, good hike if you are sore or need a break from something more difficult.

Sun Sep 02 2018

Great views and a great trail, Upper Chimney Rock might be a little closer to moderate

Fri Jun 29 2018

Great trail. There is an upper and lower chimney rock trail. We did the lower trail and it was an easy trail.

Sun May 27 2018

We did this a "break-in" hike in our visit to Sedona. This was a beautiful walk and trails marked very clearly. We did the adjoining tail around the hill next to Chimney too, and took its trail to the summit. Awesome, a little windy but the view across Verde Canyon and Sedona was breath taking. My wife said the colors were vibrant around both hills (very different greens and bright yellows -- she is so much more sensitive to color than I -- I saw a lot of greens and browns... still beautiful to me). Would do this again. Maybe bridge this to Vulte Arch next time.