Chapel Trail to Broken Arrow Trail to Mystic Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(154)
Munds Mountain Wilderness

Chapel Trail to Broken Arrow Trail to Mystic Trail Loop is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that it was reported the gate to this trailhead is closed (05/20/2020) however the Mystic trailhead is still open (www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arizona/mysticpeccary-hog-wash-loop)

Gate to the Chapel was closed. Had to start at the Mystic TH. Not many wild flowers. Lots of red rock views. Took Little Horse trail to the Llama trail and back to add an extra mile.

Beautiful hike. Note that you will walk on the paved road for about .5 miles then it links to another trail.

Nice trail, beautiful views! The trail isn't marked very well so following along with the app was necessary. A few intimidating areas but easily completed with a young small dog.

Awesome trail! We started a little late in the day and while the weather was completely sunny making it perfect, it was a bit hot that day. For the most part there is little to no shade so make sure to wear sunscreen and bring plenty of water! The views are amazing all around.

Beautiful trail. We parked at Mystic Trailhead and did the hike clockwise which is what I would recommend because the mountain bikers ride it counter clockwise. Once you’re through Mystic and hit Hogwash you have shade and start to get some incredible views. The views on Hog Heaven and High on the Hog are beautiful and a different perspective than we have had on any of the other trails this trip. I would say it borders on Moderate to Easy in sections but absolutely worth the hike. There are plenty of side trails to add if you are looking to make it longer and areas to scramble up if you want to add to the challenge.

Great trail. We did it in “reverse” and started the hike on the mystic trail and intersected with hog wash, then did the loop. Great to see it going the other route...see a different perspective.

This was an amazing trail. The views varied by location. It was definitely lighter in traffic than other popular spots. We like that so it really worked for us. There were a couple of spots where we went off trail but we found it again fairly easily so it wasn’t a huge drawback. Just be aware because we do feel it could be better marked.

Great trail! Nice views and nice moderate incline throughout. Took our dogs and they loved it! The only thing to note is the trail is narrow.

I really liked this trail but would rate medium+ in the winter due to snow and mud making it slick at times. Brought my daredevil dog who’s lack of frontal lobe makes her disregard cacti and cliffs so that might have added to its difficulty for me. Overall though, I had a good time and she had a Great time. Would do this hike again!

icy

views 5/5 (spent lots of extra time taking photos) Docked a star for the mud/icy areas on the east side of the loop, which made for some sketchy decents and messy shoes. This really slowed us down, otherwise very great trail.

Part of the trail is hard but it’s sure worth it. The trailhead started at the chapel road but it’s not connected to the endpoint, there’s a short walk on the street. Well worth the trip.

We did this trail clockwise. We parked by the chapel so we could check it out and then started our hike from there walking on Chapel road until we got to the start of Mystic. Our hike ended up being 5 miles because we went farther north on Hog Wash and then to Broken Arrow. We got a little off the trail toward the end, but knowing we wanted to end at the chapel helped us find our way back to the trail. There was various terrain, but all of it was beautiful! No part was particularly difficult. We would definitely do this trail again!

There were parts of this hike that were amazing. The hog heaven part in particular was our favorite, the views were awesome, but even cooler it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves! I wouldn’t call this a particularly strenuous hike. There are lots of small ups and down but nothing that was particularly tough. However I would consider it a moderately technical hike. There are lots of rocks/dirt/drop offs. However with that said I would consider myself physically fit but not a very experienced hiker. On the logistic side. The parking lot is not open until 9 but there is parking at the mystic trailhead down the road. We hiked counter clockwise and had the trail to ourselves for over half the hike. More people were on broken arrow towards the chapel trail. We could see the Jeep tours, however we never actually shared a trail with them. The worst part however was the last 1/4 mile back to our car. The traffic to the chapel is non stop and you are sharing the road with them with no sidewalk or shoulder. I am also not sure about the mileage reported, my Fitbit said it is closer to 5 miles. All things considered it was a great hike!!

Beautiful hike and even on Labor Day weekend, no one else on the trail. Gorgeous views all the way around!

Some amazing views but take water, very little shade. Jeep tours on the east side. Not many people on the loop.

Mon May 27 2019

ummm definitely fun but i feel alot of people commenting havnt done the whole trail. Hog heaven a section of this loop has a sign infront stating double balck diamond and for good reason. I would never consider the chance of dropping 30-40 feet into a ravine as easy or moderate so be warned... (still super fun)

Mon May 27 2019

Almost an easy track, though with some moderate parts in between. Farely quiet, considering the time of year. Kid friendly, some bikers seen.

This trail loop was definitely advanced, it was medium in some places but definitely advanced in others. For instance, high on the hog part of the loop was mostly scaling mini cliffs, it wasn’t bad and definitely doable but my father who’s terrified of heights almost couldn’t do it and didn’t really enjoy that part of the trail for his fear of heights and cliffs. There were some unclear paths that made you question which way to go. Also the jeeps in the beginning of the the chapel and broken arrow trail were a bit obnoxious and more prevalent than previously led by other hikers. All in all it was great and I throughly enjoyed the entire thing and definitely would do this again, I just wanted to write in here some of the downfalls (no pun intended) of the loop that were left out. The whole loop was definitely not kid friendly by any means.

Thu May 16 2019

Beautiful panoramic views! Had the trails mostly to myself until I hit the Jeep trails well marked and full of flowers. I parked at majestic a d took the look clockwise ending at the chapel for a quick look see. I started out at 7:30 AM to try to beat the heat. Had a great shade over the trail for a good while. I'd agree with moderate level. Trail had a few narrow ledges to cross but plenty of hand and foot holds. certainly nothing like cathedral rock. I would absolutely hike this again!

Tue Apr 30 2019

Nice loop. I would rate as easy not moderate. Lots of bike, very polite. Loop cuts right next to jeep trail towards the end. Lots of Jeeps.

Sun Apr 28 2019

We loved this Trail! Great views, not many people.

Tue Apr 16 2019

Great loop around a really huge formation with tons of views. A few Mountain Bikers, but very polite and courteous. Wanted to hike the "White Line" but it was too windy to take the chance. Really great hike. Stopped lots but did it in a couple of hours.

Mon Apr 15 2019

This trail had awesome views and was a great experience. We are fit and have hiked all over from coast to coast, and this should not be rated ‘easy’. It’s not hard, but certainly moderate. We did a longer moderate hike in the morning and tried this as our afternoon hike, looking for something that wasn’t as challenging. Parts are easy - well marked and clear paths. In other parts, there is more skill required - gravel rock on slopes on the edges of drop offs. This isn’t well-travelled because people looking for an easy hike turn back. Other than the rating, this - as with most trails in this area - was spectacular. Kudos to Sedona for having such clean, awe-inspiring trails!