Cave Creek Trail And Skunk Creek Trail

Cave Creek Trail And Skunk Creek Trail is a 10 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

What a great loop trail! I did it clockwise; it was such a treat to be high enough in elevation to be able to walk through and past many juniper trees on the way up, a different experience from my last many hikes around Phoenix. The trail was easy to follow, especially when you keep an eye out for the cairns strategically placed. What great scenery! So varied, so may wonderful vistas. As others have said the trail is smooth in many parts, but is also quite rocky in others, as you might expect. Loved it!

It was a very beautiful trail! You hike up and down 3 mountains which give you amazing views. At times it felt like an obstacle course because we lost the trail in the creeks and there were multiple gates (and one set of stairs) to get through fences. It made the trail very enjoyable and interactive.

Great hike! We completed this hike on an unseasonably cool April day that had high temps in the low 80s. My son and I used 2 liters of water apiece, so if you go during warmer weather, carry plenty of water. I'm not sure if the creek runs all summer, but if you carry a water filter, that is an option as well.

This is a beautiful riparian habitat. You will hike from the creek with cottonwoods and sycamores to the high desert dodging prickly pear cactus on steep and narrow trails. Portions of the trail are smooth dirt, but much of the trail is narrow and rocky with lots of rolling rocks underfoot, so watch your footing. The trail is not hard to follow, but it is just rough enough it might take you a little more time than you might think.

Based upon the recommendation of others, we completed the loop in a clockwise direction. This gives you more shade and creek access during the latter part of the hike when the sun is higher.

The area is fairly remote and I had no cell service (Verizon) during the hike, and I didn't reconnect to service for several miles after leaving the trailhead. The dirt road leading to the trailhead is several miles of rough washboard, but it is very well maintained, and any passenger car can drive it easily.

Put this one on your list, and have fun!

very cool area

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

This is a great hike. Not to hard but not easy either. A lot to see!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Bring plenty of water. Maybe it was the distance, but this is rated as Moderate and I found it way more difficult than Camelback. Very remote during October with no cell service, so tell others where you're going if traveling alone. Keep a lookout for the structured rock towers that previous hikers have constructed so that you know you're on the right trail, as the trail is not marked by signs and is VERY easy to get off track.

Friday, April 22, 2016

Hiked 247 to Spur then back on trail 4 to cavecreek trail head. It was a long day but loved every minute if it. Second time here and will be back again, so much to see!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Trail is narrow and slightly overgrown from lack of use, but definitely still passable. I went hiking with my boyfriend and two dogs and we will definitely be back. Be sure to drive a higher clearance vehicle because its off-road driving for the last 7 miles to the trailhead. We'll try camping sometime this summer.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My family is new to hiking. We consist of mom dad and 2 boys (3yrs old and 7). We started on skunk creek trail and did a 4 mile loop. We saw all of the normal desert life, lizards quails & bunnies. We got there a little later than normal but didn't have to cut the hike short due to there was plenty of shade along the way. Great hike for us beginners

Sunday, January 05, 2014

약 4마일은 계곡을 따라 걸음.계곡의 경치가 좋음.여름에는 수영을 하면 좋음.평지 를 지나 완만한 경사로 등산.전형적인 피닉스 산.

Sunday, March 03, 2013

Beautiful hike even when it's hot because it follows the creek and has good shade.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Went on the Cave Creek Trail #4 as far as the third creek crossing, and then back the way I came, for a total of 8 miles. The first 2/3 follows the creek closely and is well shaded, with plenty of wildlife. The last 1/3 is away from the creek in more open desert. Look for a rare crested saguaro just north of the trail a short way past the second creek crossing.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Perfect Weather. Trail easy and fast. Little water in the creek was able to find a great spot for lunch on a rock next to the creek.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

This trail as with most Trailheads in Az do not need a National Forest Pass. They are for the most part free. I know one pay site is Barttlet lake and I can not remember the other one.

Monday, January 09, 2012

This was our family's second hike together. We have a 11 and 7 year old so we don't move fast. We like to take pics and that as well slows us down. We just hiked down Trail #4 for a couple of hours. It was great weather with not many people on the trail. We did some off-treking to get to the creek that was running. Let the girls play in the water a while and ate some food it was noon. Meet a nice couple with two dogs. The next time we do this hike we will leave earlier and probably do the whole hike.

Monday, January 09, 2012

Did this today with my husband and my little Boston Terrier... its a beautiful hike. We start with Skunk Creek Trail and end at Cave Creek Trail. We will do this again next week follow Cave Creek Trail first.
Don't forget to get your Pass before you get there, we can't find the automated pay station