Cave Creek and Santa Rita Crest Trail

Cave Creek and Santa Rita Crest Trail is a 13 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sonoita, Arizona that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I have hiked this trail as far as Florida saddle. It is similar to the Florida trail, but not as long and not as steep. It was very forested back then, but I am sure this area was burned pretty bad back in 05. I drove all the way to the end of the road then, but it has been a while since I have taken the Cave Creek turn off from the Gardner Canyon road. Not a very well used trail back then (80's). Not a lot of people went up this way.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

We blundered into this trail accidentally and didn't have time time hike it. From the sign you can see there's also a Link Trail - the Link Trail went upstream. We hiked up the Link Trail for about 1/2 a mile and the Cave Canyon for maybe 1/4 mile. Both beautiful at this time of year (late April). Definitely will go back here and do the whole Cave Canyon Trail. I wonder if the Link Trail hooks up with the Arizona Trail?