Cathedral Wash Trail

Cathedral Wash Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Marble Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Want to feel like you’re walking through a canyon on a different planet? This is the hike for you. There’s definitely a lot of scrambling up and down rocks on this one, very fun if you’re up for an adventure!

Southern Louisiana flatlanders out for some hikes. We had already done Bryce Canyon, Zion’s ‘The Narrows’...this was next. I knew I was afraid of ‘ledges’/heights, and this made me realize how real that was.

42-year-old active mom with two 12-year-old girls. I couldn’t bring myself to traverse the huge drop at the end. I watched 8 adults ahead of me trying to figure it out and I kept getting more and more nervous. The Kids were begging me to go but I panicked. So - we turned back. The views were amazing. AMAZING. But - there’s just no way I could risk footing, or worse, no being able to scramble back up. Or sliding down/injury. It was a SERIOUS drop for a swamp mama.

Beautiful Canyon hike! We didn't get out until noon and the canyon was very hot in the sun, but we were able to stay in the shade for roughly half the hike. There are several places where you have to find the best route through the canyon, and some climbing and jumping was required. Over-all, it was not too difficult, and the dip in the icy river at the bottom made for a perfect hike! We only came across two other hikers on the trail today, so our timing seemed perfect.

One of the best hikes ever. you are rewarded with the Colorado River at the end.

Great hike for families with teens. Lots of scrambling, a deep canyon, and the reward of the Colorado river at the end. Took us an hour down and 40 Minutes back. Great quick hike!

Very beautiful hike! But I didn’t expect so many rock to climb & some hazardous path.

My wife & my step mother + father couldn’t make all because at the middle we found a pretty high wall to climb down. I finally finish this track alone!

The canyon is very impressive!

Amazing trail. Go for it, no doubt!
Keep right when it is hard ;)))

Great hike with breathtaking views— we took the lower route that lead to the Grand Canyon. Overall, this is a moderate hike but can get quite difficult at particular drops that require climbing and maneuvering. Be sure to leave with ample time to reach the Colorado river and return (~2 hours). Limited shade with no paved trail— keep right!

It wasn’t great at first but got much better the further you go towards the river and much more difficult. Stay to the right on the largest drops and you can find an easy path down.

One of the best hikes I’ve ever done. Difficult and occasionally scary rock scrambles but not strenuous. Beautiful views and not overcrowded.

One of the best hikes I’ve been on. If you like a little rock climbing, you’d enjoy this hike.

The NPS rates this trail difficulty as a 3 out of 5, so prepare to be surprised if that is your only reference. There are some serious ledge climbs and scrambles along this trail, I would rate this as one of the more difficult hikes we did as a group in this area. If you have anyone in your group that is skittish around sharp drops and insist on staying 6 feet from the edge, this is not the trail for you.

The trail basically follows the canyon out to the Colorado river and reaching the river is an awesome reward for completing this challenging hike. The trail is fairly tame for the first third before getting to some sharp drops and falls. I noticed several pitons in the rocks along the way, ropes would make these sections infinitely easier but we did not have any with us. Several of the areas were elevation drops of 20 feet or more requiring traversing the ridges along the sides to get back to the wash floor. Near the end of the trail there are large boulders and rocks to scramble over to get to the river but if you've made it that far its hardly challenging.

Do your research ahead of time and look at some of the tracks here to decide if this is best for your party. We had a member of our group who is rather short for a stormtrooper and was anxious on the ledge descents which in turn made some of the other group members anxious. Never go beyond your collective comfort level. As with the other canyons in the area, be mindful of the weather, flash flooding would be a serious risk in the event of rain. No water station at the trailhead.

Did some difficult, for me, ledge climbs. Well worth it! Beautiful!

Great trail and very quiet. Agree that the rock scrambles can make it tough in spots. Beautiful views of the river at the end.

Top walk to the Colorado River. Tricky to get down in some places. Very quiet.

Beautiful hike late evening. Didn’t make it all the way to the river as we were chasing daylight. We only saw one person on the trail which was awesome! The trail itself was fairly easy. The only real challenge was the scramble up/down the rocks as you get deeper in the canyon. Great fun! Wouldn’t recommend doing alone due to the climbs.

Pretty awesome day hike. Did this in late afternoon and finished in the dark. Couple easy scrambling sections made this real fun. About 2hrs round trip.

Belle descente du canyon récompensée par une pause au bord du Colorado. Plus facile à la montée qu’à la descente pour trouver son chemin.

Jawdroppingly beautiful hike to the Colorado-river through a spectacular canyon that is shallow at the trailhead and gets gradually deeper. At the end sheer rock walls close the trail in on both sides. Some parts could be dangerous when flashfloods occur, so be careful. It took us less than two hours to complete the hike (in and out).

Very nice relatively short and quiet (!) hike. Cairns come in handy in finding the best path. Qualification 'hard' seems too high. Would rate it 'moderate'. Start early. Visit balancing stone at 0.2mile.

Did this trail at around 11am (too early because too hot). But this has been one of the best hikes I’ve done so far. Especially the end is so great. We’ve been the only two people doing the hike in just about 2 hours.

Challenging but not technically difficult. The Trail is clear the whole way. Like someone else said, if it seems too difficult look for another easier way and you'll find it.
The very first hiking sign you see on the left side of the road is the trailhead. We had a fantastic morning, plan to come back :-)

Challenging, fun hike. There are a few big drops that are manageable. You will hear the Colorado River as you get close. The water was cold this time of year!

A challenging yet enjoyable trail with a handful of descending and climbing. Beware of the $25 vehicle entry fee.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

This was one of my favorite hikes ever. It's magical when you reach the Colorado. Bring plenty of water and pack a lunch! Don't go alone bc you won't see a lot of people and if you get stuck or need help climbing, a mate would help!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Really like this hike. My kids and I hike this trail every year. There are a few drops that need navigated, no ropes needed.
My kids love the adventure of the hike.
We wade, fish and watch the rafts run the rapids, when we get to the river. I have taken kids as young as 7yrs old. The younger ones just need a boost up the four to five foot drops.