Cathedral Rock Trail

Cathedral Rock Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Cathedral Rock is a short hike that offers beautiful views of the naturally occurring red rock formations in the heart of red rock country. This is a favorite hike in the Sedona area. The Cathedral Rock trailhead can be accessed off of Back'O'Beyond Road. There is a small trailhead parking area. However, the trail can also be accessed from Baldwin and Templeton trails. The trail ends with a short steep climb to Cathedral Rock. There are some steep sections so hiking shoes are recommended. There are great views along the entirety of the trail.

great view at the top and a somewhat challenging, exciting hike for most of the way. i wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't consider themselves decently athletic.

From the trail head We took the easy breezy trail. It runs along and intertwines with the riverbed. Make sure the water levels are not high or hazardous. We lost the trail a few times from the riverbed but with app we were back on track. Beautiful trail thru forest and up the side of the base. The trail loops back to Cathedral Rock. There were beautiful agave plants and giant ocotillos. We’ll have to come back when the ocotillos are in bloom. You’ll walk the base back to the main entrance. Many trail off shoots to higher elevations from this point. The trail back to the parking area was challenging but doable if you take your time.

I started out at the trail head at 8 am. Not too crowded. Beautiful hike with amazing views. Middle section is steep vertical climb through a crevice. I’m an experienced hiker and I needed assistance.
Pay $3 by credit card at trailhead to park. By far one of my favorite hikes in Sedona.

A bit crowded but it was a holiday. Some spots of challenging and technical scurrying for us moderate type hikers but well worth the feat of finding a parking spot midday! Watch for white markings and rock piles and try to stay by those on the way.

Rant alert: People please don’t blare rap on your boom box in such beautiful scenery.. and be respectful of others, thanks

Very first time here. my boyfriend and I loved it. We started our hike around 1pm and finished around 2:15pm. We stopped to take in the surrounding mountains Sedona has to offer. Native to Az. Live in Phoenix and Every time a trip out here is ALWAYS unforgettable! Almost the entire way you’re climbing on some kind of rock and testing your endurance. Pretty steep at times but I seen a man carrying baby down IN HIS HANDS (I cringe a bit when I seen him slide) and a few people with dogs so don’t tell me you can’t do it. Trail may be just a mile but hiking it doesn’t even seem like it. ENJOY!

Beautiful!!! A must see. Make sure you map from this app to drive there or you may end up far away at a gated community

Very fun. High Traffic. Beautiful view. Have to scramble up some rock

My favorite hike in Sedona. Follow the well marked trail up to the cathedral window for a view you will never forget!!

Short hike. Was really crowded. Went off trail.

great hike. short but steep. views getting better and better as you go higher

This is a hard, deceptively short, but very rewarding mile. The middle third is very steep rock scrambling, which usually involves awkwardly passing many other visitors, but this is much easier to manage after having done it once. Parking during summer months can be essentially impossible, so arriving early to secure a spot is a good idea.

simply awesome views!

A bit crowded but nice views.

Love this trail! Super fast and easy but a beautiful view :)

I’m an AZ local and have been to Sedona many times, this is definitely a great hike to do! Disclaimer: the hike is steep and slippery at some points and Is most suitable for young dogs that are used to hiking / climbing.

A worthwhile trail with beautiful views of the surrounding valleys and red rocks. Definitely worth the hike and effort needed to get up to the top where the "End of Trail" sign is. A few warnings though: I wouldn't bring small children or dogs and I would pack a headlight if going for sunset. Since the hike down is on the side opposite the late day sun, it gets pretty dark quickly. Also make sure you have good footwear as the rocks are quite smooth and a bit slick in spots. If there's been any recent rain I'd avoid at all costs because it seems like it would become a very dangerous waterslide

Really fun trail. At the end of trail sign, go left and walk all the way to the top, you will be rewarded. Not too challenging but definately go early to avoid crowd.

This trail/climb is a lot of fun. Because it's short, it gets straight to the point. You will immediately start going uphill and feel the burn in the legs. About halfway up is when you'll do some minor climbing (not vertical, but it's still steep), using your hands to balance and pull yourself up in some parts. Most fun I've had in a hike in a while.