Cathedral Rock Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Cathedral Rock is a short hike that offers beautiful views of the naturally occurring red rock formations in the heart of red rock country. This is a favorite hike in the Sedona area. The Cathedral Rock trailhead can be accessed off of Back'O'Beyond Road. There is a small trailhead parking area. However, the trail can also be accessed from Baldwin and Templeton trails. The trail ends with a short steep climb to Cathedral Rock. There are some steep sections so hiking shoes are recommended. There are great views along the entirety of the trail.

This trail gets 5 stars because the views along the way and the view at the top is totally worth it - but it is definitely a difficult trail. I would consider it more rock-climbing as there are multiple places where I was crawling on my hands/knees. I took my 60 pound boxer and had to lift him up/down in a couple spots. Even if you're in shape, the elevation changes so quickly it gets hard to breathe - my suggestion is take a couple breaks along on the way up and enjoy the views!

Awesome hike up...views along the way are fantastic. We came in via Yavapai trail head and hiked Slim Shady to Templeton to get to bottom of Cathedral Rock Trail. We didn't do the Templeton loop and just backtracked so round trip it was 11km for the whole trip. Slim Shady and Templeton were easy and very few people.

Fantastic trail. Wife thought because distance was short it would be easy. Be prepared!

We went 2 days ago, and it is definitely a hard trail. Some spots we were using all fours to climb. So worth it at the top. Windy and somewhat cold so bring that extra layer, hat, and gloves to keep warm.

This is amazing, it took me about 1 hour to climb the view was AMAZING I really enjoyed this and I want to do this again!

Clearly marked trail with great views from the top. Highly recommend it!

A fun, short, but steep hike! Beautiful views at the top, my favorite vortex in Sedona!

Moderate hike. Awesome view. We caught sunset up there and it was beautiful!!

So rad! Bring some cardio to this one. Try not stopping and climbing with no hands! We did it! So can you! lol

Favorite trail in Sedona! Especially from the Baldwin connection.

This trail is at some places tricky, but at the end, it is breathtaking!!! Hope I can do it again!

Hard but a must see! I lost my sunglasses on the way up, when coming back it was sitting on trail rock piers! Many thanks to hike mates!

A hike with great views and too many people. Its short, but I was rushing and taking too many leaps over people that my old ankle gave out. A lesson in sprained ankle therapy.

A quick hike that is worth the trip!

My favorite hike in Sedona! I’ve lived here for over 6 years and Cathedral Rock is my favorite!

Did this hike a few days ago. Beautiful views when you reach the top. Pretty exposed most of the time so try to go earlier or later in the day to avoid the sun directly beating down on you.

Really fun to scramble up and down the rock faces. Definitely recommend good, grippy hiking shoes. Beautiful views at the top.

If you don’t mind an extra three miles (~1.5 out and back) and want to avoid the crowds at the Cathedral Rock parking lot, start at the Baldwin trailhead and take Baldwin to Templeton to Cathedral Rock.

I would definitely go back without my dog. He is a tall Doberman mix and couldn’t make it up the mountain, and if you do continue once it gets steep, expect to use all 4 limbs to climb up Cathedral Rock trail. The part of the trail where it splits off into 2 different trails, still had great views though. There ended up being an easier trail we were able to take our dog on called “Easy Breezy Trail” ...this one seemed more for the mountain bikers, but it is easy for anyone not really wanting to do a steep hike. Parking was very limited. We had to wait about 10 minutes before one opened.

One area was challenging for a first timer, but the views are well worth it.

It’s tough, but worth it!

Incredible view! Worth the hike

The trail is challenging with a few areas of needing to climb rock faces, but not dangerous or too hard for the occasional hiker. Hiking boots or gripping shoes definitely recommended. Others on the trail had sneakers on, but I was really glad to have my boots. All the effort pays off with absolutely stunning views of the valley and canyons. All together, it took us an hour and a half up and back with a few stops along the way to rest and take in the scenery. If you only have time for one hike, I would highly recommend this one! It was fun!

I loved this hike! My 40 lb blue heeler and I made it to the top. Other people were having trouble getting their dogs up there though. I would do this hike every time I visit Sedona!!

Great, it’s Rock climbing!! What go s up must come down. I did it and I’m proud

Amazing views all the way up and it keeps getting better. Not just hiking but thinking through foot holds and getting past steep/slippery parts. I loved the challenge!

Easy to moderate hike with beautiful views and great photo ops. We are used to hiking in the Adirondacks and would compare this to Prospect Mountain. It was a short hike but steady incline...would do it again!

It’s hard but worth it,

1st time hiking in Sedona and absolutely loved the hike and views! It was challenging in parts, but very well worth the climb! beautiful view at top and great opportunity for photos.

Just over an hour up and down. the temperature was cool with a little rain so that probably helped a lot, I can't imagine how hot it must get when the temperature is high!
On the way down, we went left - Templeton to Baldwin Loop and it turned into an 11 km hike and a great day in the beautiful mountains of Sedona! highly recommend this hike!

Did this hike to the end of the trail - we are 50+ and probably only in average physical shape!
What a view, totally worth the huffing and puffing!
This is one of the most spectacular views and a great reward for your labor.
Just do it!