Cathedral Rock Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Cathedral Rock is a short hike that offers beautiful views of the naturally occurring red rock formations in the heart of red rock country. This is a favorite hike in the Sedona area. The Cathedral Rock trailhead can be accessed off of Back'O'Beyond Road. There is a small trailhead parking area. However, the trail can also be accessed from Baldwin and Templeton trails. The trail ends with a short steep climb to Cathedral Rock. There are some steep sections so hiking shoes are recommended. There are great views along the entirety of the trail.

9 minutes ago

1st time hiking in Sedona and absolutely loved the hike and views! It was challenging in parts, but very well worth the climb! beautiful view at top and great opportunity for photos.

Just over an hour up and down. the temperature was cool with a little rain so that probably helped a lot, I can't imagine how hot it must get when the temperature is high!
On the way down, we went left - Templeton to Baldwin Loop and it turned into an 11 km hike and a great day in the beautiful mountains of Sedona! highly recommend this hike!

Did this hike to the end of the trail - we are 50+ and probably only in average physical shape!
What a view, totally worth the huffing and puffing!
This is one of the most spectacular views and a great reward for your labor.
Just do it!

Great hike but not dog friendly unless you have a hardness. Our lab is a great hiker but steep slick rocks are impassable for dogs

Outstanding hike & epic views. Be sure to set your intentions before your hike . Apparently the vortex energy balances oneself . We started at Crescent moon park . Approximately 8.1 miles . Not too difficult but be sure to wear a trail runner or a shoe with good tread to prevent slippage when climbing near the peak ! Sooooo fun !!!!!

Best hike I've ever been on

Amazing hike but difficult. We started on Baldwin Trailhead for about 30 minutes then about 45 minutes to the top of Cathedral. Amazing and worth the hike.

this is a hard trail and can be slippery if not wearing appropriate footwear. the hike is worth the effort as the views at the top are amazing!

By far my favorite hike of the ones I have done in Sedona! It is hard in the sense of needing good foot wear because at one part you are essentially “rock climbing”... if able to go at sunset, it was absolutely breath taking! If you are a moderate to avid hiker, you can not pass this one up!

Great scrambling trail. Be prepared to use your hands. Fun and adventurous with amazing views all the way up and down. Not safe when wet.

Amazing hike with breathtaking views from the top. Steep but worth every step!

Definitely worth it! Best hike so far this trip. Views are absolutely incredible!

Don't miss this hike! Totally worth the areas you have to scramble up rocks. View at the top is awe inspiring.

This hike is super challenging. But its so amazing. You climb up it!!!!
I have to say lots of water and proper attire required!
I seen so many going up in converse shoes and sneakers. :(
Its important for us as hikers to take the proper measures to ensure our safety. Its not just about you. If you lose your footing on this hike the person behind you will also pay the price! Not to mention the search and rescue that have to come rescue you due to not having the proper stuff.
Hike enjoy & be responsible!

Loved this hike! We hiked late afternoon and there wasn’t too many people in the trail, most of them were coming down. When we got tot the top only saw one other person. It was peaceful, beautiful and just incredible looking over the valley. We didn’t stay for sunset but I would imagine it’s a great spot for the sunset.
A little more difficult trail as you have to climb up the sandstone rocks. If you don’t have hiking shoes it could be slippery and tricky. But otherwise just a steep climb.

Busy but fun
Tough in some parts but doable

beautiful as is!

Well marked trail with beautiful vistas

Def. One of the hardest hikes of the trip! It’s not moderate! It’s hard. Once you’re on the top it requires lots of climbing to get to the top views. Is it worth it? 100%!!! The views are amazing !

Take water and snacks because you’ll def need it !

Really good hike, but I would say it is more strenuous than moderate only because it is steep and requires a lot of rock scrambling. When you get to the top, go to the left and climb further up for a second cool view!

Great moderate hike/climb. Start as early as possible to avoid heat and potential crowds. If you start the climb later in the morning and the heat kicks in, push through it will be worth it and along with the spectacular views up top. You’ll be gifted with shade and a cool breeze up top which makes the whole climb worth it! Pro tip sit and have lunch and a nap before you come back down Enjoy!

Awesome hike. Make sure and explore a bit at the end to find those special views.

Gorgeous views at top, we even heard a panflute wafting in from the distance. On the strenuous side of moderate but not very long. Exposed most of the time so bring sunscreen!

This is much more of a climb than a hike but totally worth it! It’s beautiful going up and extra beautiful at the top. You use your hands a lot, so be sure to keep them free and to have good shoes on!

Cathedral Rock is my favorite hike in Sedona! Every time friends and family visit from out-of-town, I always make it a point to bring them here. The views cannot be beat. Love it!

Highly recommended hike. I'm very happy we decided to hike on the tuesday after labor day, we just missed the crowd! I read somewhere that this hike takes 30-40min round trip. I would say it took us 1hr up and 1hr down (we stopped took pictures and enjoyed the view). I just wore normal nikes but I would suggest hiking shoes because the steep parts of the hike I would've benefited from more stable shoes. Don't forget water!

Nice trail with a beautiful view at the top. Definitely worth doing. The scrambling is not super exposed, but still adds a bit of adventure.

Hike is decently steep. Actually witnessed a rock fall from this one- fortunately everyone was ok. Good views from many points along the trail.

Short but moderate on the way up. Beautiful views. Worth the climb to the top. Wear suitable hiking shoes and bring water.