Cathedral Rock Trail is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 744 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Cathedral Rock is a short hike that offers beautiful views of the naturally occurring red rock formations in the heart of red rock country. This is a favorite hike in the Sedona area. The Cathedral Rock trailhead can be accessed off of Back'O'Beyond Road. There is a small trailhead parking area. However, the trail can also be accessed from Baldwin and Templeton trails. The trail ends with a short steep climb to Cathedral Rock. There are some steep sections so hiking shoes are recommended. There are great views along the entirety of the trail. Cathedral rock is an amazing short but strenuous hike in the southern part of Sedona. It's a distance of just about 1.2 miles round trip but the 740+ ft elevation gain make this a moderate to difficult hike with portions where near vertical climbing is required. From the trailhead the hike can be half hour to an hour each way. The views at the top of the hike are more than worth it however especially during sunset. Be sure to wear proper closed toed hiking shoes with good grip for an easier climb up and down. With two smaller parking lots that fill up fast during the day and nearby street parking that is packed at peak times, plan that into the hike. This is a must hike when in Sedona!

So. Unbelievably. Beautiful. And a great climb too!

I am from Florida and asked my bf to choose and easy trail because i was pretty beat from hiking Devil’s Bridge the day before. I was terrified. This was more like mountain climbing, not hiking. It was also the middle of the day and i think I got sun poisoning and altitude sickness. I would def try it next time but early in the morning. No more middle of the day hikes in 100 degree weather. I climbed half way but my legs were failing me so i went down. I will definitely try again in cooler weather.

I started at 6am when it was cooler and less crowds. This is a great hike! It was not an easy trail but worth the view at the end! A lot of rock climbing. Make sure to wear proper shoes. Bring plenty of water and a snack. Be careful in the heat! I’ll be back when it’s cooler and maybe at sunset this time.

First time hiking in Sedona but have done hard rated trails at the Grand Canyon. I was expecting this to be a workout but not rock climbing. Made it up a ways but was worried on the way down I would lose my footing, so turned back. I thought I could handle it but got a bit panicky. If heights and climbing make you nervous, it’s not the trail for you.

STARTED @ 5:30 AM - PLENTY OF PARKING SPOTS AVAILABLE IF YOU GO EARLY ONCE THE SUN COMES OVER THE MOUNTAIN THERE WILL BE NO SHADE THIS ISN'T AN EASY TRAIL - THERE IS A LOT OF CLIMBING INVOLVED THE VIEW FROM THE TOP IS MAGNIFICENT AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF PLACES TO SIT AND STARE THE ONLY ASPECT OF THIS TRAIL THAT I DIDN'T LIKE WAS ALL THE BUGS - SOME SORT OF LARGE FLIES OR BEETLES BUZZ AROUND CLOSELY AND FOLLOW YOU THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE HIKE. I USED DEET BUG REPELLENT AND THAT DID NOT HELP AT ALL

Who would think a 1.2 mile would kick your butt this hard? The way up was a great workout. Would suggest starting early to avoid the heat and crowds. Bring lots of water. You will be rewarded with an amazing view at the end!!

Pretty intense on the knees, short and definitely steep. Loved it

This was my first time “rock scrambling” & typically I am a little afraid of heights but I absolutely loved this trail! It was sort of an “overcoming my fear a little bit” trail & it was 100% worth it. Amazing views at the top and bottom. But especially at the top :) it is a busy trail, so I recommend arriving early to get a parking spot.

Get started early, overflow parking lot started to fill up around 9AM. Love the energy at this place. Follow me on Instagram @nathan_vanengen for photos and more amazing things to see in the southwest!

The end of this trail is definitely worth the hike. Just beautiful! Some parts of the hike were pretty challenging plus I had the wrong shoes on so was slipping a bit. I used my hands and bottom a lot which helped!

Absolutely beautiful! We took our engagement pics here. It’s a little difficult and you def want to do it when it’s cool.

It's a climb to the top but the views are amazing! It took me less than an hour to get to the top to see the sunset which I strongly recommend doing.

fee

Beautiful view from the top! Trails is short but definitely hard. Restroom is terrible!

fee

Just an amazing view. Totally worth the climb. Steep but pretty easy.

Hiked 5/27/2020 Awesome hike, great weather . Definitely on the harder side with steep rocks. You will need to use your hands to clim so be sure you have a backpack or something to carry you water in. THE MOST MAGICAL view from the top. My favorite hike in Sedona . Took us 30 mins to the top.

My sons 12 and 14 absolutely loved this! Serious scrambling, phenomenal view. So much fun!

The view up top is out of this world! its a must-do hike in my book!

A Sedona must do! I hiked with kids 7 and 12. Both pretty experienced hikers and they did just fine. The younger needed some support on the steepest bits. A great trail for emerging climbers to practice stills.

This hike was short but it was worth it. I really enjoyed the views at the top. My boyfriend and I went earlier in the morning and there was definitely less people. I think I wouldn’t have enjoyed it as much if we went later. There’s really no shade and it requires a lot of climbing with your entire body. If you’ve done Devil’s Bridge this is more climbing than walking.

The top will instantly make you forget about the vertical scramble it takes to get there. Must be flexible and be able to use hands, feet, and butt to hike the trail. If you have bad knees and/or hips, the hike down can be very difficult. Views at top are amazing though!