Cathedral Rock Trail

MODERATE 1,148 reviews

Cathedral Rock Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Cathedral Rock is a short hike that offers beautiful views of the naturally occurring red rock formations in the heart of red rock country. This is a favorite hike in the Sedona area. The Cathedral Rock trailhead can be accessed off of Back'O'Beyond Road. There is a small trailhead parking area. However, the trail can also be accessed from Baldwin and Templeton trails. The trail ends with a short steep climb to Cathedral Rock. There are some steep sections so hiking shoes are recommended. There are great views along the entirety of the trail.

4 minutes ago

NOT DOG FRIENDLY. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Overall a fantastic trail but I would highly recommend leaving your pets at home for this one. Bell Rock is much more pet friendly.

Go before 9am to beat the heat and the crowds. Expect to do some climbing, so shoes with a good tread are needed.
Views at the top are very worth the effort of the short climb/hike!!!

This hike is definitely hard and for people who are pretty fit and limber. It’s very steep and parts and you need to go down on feet and hands. The view is gorgeous at the top. We’re in our thirties and it took us a little over an hour with a few breaks on the way up. Make sure to walk across the top of the trail head and come down on “the female side”. Really fun and you’re standing the middle with the red rocks all around you. Stunning. We got there at 6:45am and there were already five cars in the lot. It was far more crowded on our way down. Recommend getting there bright and early!

We went in the evening when it was cooler. Amazing colors as sun went down with beautiful panoramic vistas. Definitely worth the challenge. Follow white trail markers to stay on trail. Wear good shoes for hiking on rocks.

I am deathly afraid of heights. About halfway up I sat down and was visibly shaking. Once you get past deep V shaped crevice (at about the halfway point) it was smooth hiking to the top. I was very worried about the descent, but honest to God, it was a cake walk!!! The climb was WAY worth it. Unbelievable views!!! My husband and I agree that it is a little more advanced than it is rated. We did see little kids doing this hike.

Always a good hike, gets your heart rate up and I love to scramble up the rocks. The app says moderate but I really think they need to change it to hard. Even though I have been hiking for years on this mountain it still gives me some trouble at times. One wrong step or a slip you are down the mountain in a jiffy. I always go past the “end of trail” sign to the left and climb another Little Rock formation and then over to the other side. That is a 660 ft elevation gain and from the parking lot up and back it is 1.6 miles and takes about an hour. I stop and take pictures along the way to catch my breathe. My favorite hike because it is quick but hard and the views are stunning.

Beautiful, hot, fun hike~! Be ready to get dirty, scramble and bring LOTS of h20 for yourself and your pup~!! PS. Don't forget your sunscreen's~! (Yes, they make sunscreen for our four-legged hikers too. ;)

Let me start by saying app says this trail is moderate, it’s a bit above that. There are parts where your on all fours going up and on your butt coming down. Saw quite a few people not finishing because it was a bit too difficult for them. That being said it was a fun trail, with excellent views. Not a long trail, but the quick elevation is a workout. Bring extra water, and get to the top. It’s worth the blisters.

Great vantage point for the sunrise! I hiked up here at about 4:30 am to catch the 5:15 sunrise. You can see the sun crest over in the east and its rays shining on Sedona to the west. Pretty easy hike with a few areas of smooth rock. Manageable and worth it for the sunrise. I got to the top and was the only one!

Tough to avoid crowds but great scenery all the way up and at the top.

Amazing walk, although tough in some spots.

Amazing views from the top, one of my favorite challenging climbs in Sedona.

Scrambles!

Great trail with some scrambling!

The views are AMAZING! The hike was moderate, depends on how much climbing you want to do. I didn’t do too much hiking before this and I was able to make it through without too many breaks.

Awesome I loved horse back riding I the way to the TOP and the second time I did it I brought my dog with it was pretty fun i should try bringing your dog with only if your dog is not old like 12 13 14 15 and so on

One of my all time favorite trails! I've already completed it twice on my two trips to Sedona. The views are absolutely breathtaking and the difficulty is just right for anyone of any age. It's not a walk in the park but it's also not rock climbing. I highly recommend this trail if you are in the area. The end view will blow you away!

Beautiful views with some of the best pictures we got on our trip to Arizona in May. Short but very uphill with some difficult terrain, it took longer than we expected. If you're from a place that is at sea level like us, beware the air is much thinner as the trailhead is already 4,000 ft above sea level. Be sure to wear shoes with good traction or you will be sliding on your butt the whole way to get down (which you might have to do anyways!). I would rate the trail as hard for novice hikers but worth the view.

Parking was very limited at the Back O' Beyond road entrance. There will be a sign directing you to the overflow lot at yavapai vista trail. Beware that this trailhead will add several miles to your hike! We opted to head back to the first lot and wait for a spot to open up.

Nice trail, we started at a different spot near the creek and ended up on this trail, it’s an excellent trail for hike or bike.... amazing views! Truly enjoyed it.

Closest I’ve gotten to rock climbing!

Beautiful, sometimes challenging hike. Well worth the effort. Be prepared to climb up some steep sections in the 2nd half of the hike. The views are incredible!!

This trail was pretty short and took us around 25 minutes to reach the top. There is a good bit of scrambling that was really fun, but that could also be challenging if you didn't have the proper shoes. The views at sunset were incredible!! We headed down about 20 minutes before the sun actually set so that we weren't hiking down in the dark. Definitely a quick hike with a great reward at the end!

Beautiful hike! Highly recommend!! Do not take dogs, I saw a few lay down and unable to walk back, sad.

Beautiful views!

Scramble halfway up was difficult for me, but I live almost at sea level. Worth the hassle. Just keep going! You’ll be rewarded with a spectacular view!

This was our first hike when we arrived in Sedona. We decided to go in the evening and made it to the top before sunset. It was a pretty tough hike for 1 mile, but the views at the top were amazing!! Well worth it and a must hike when you are in Sedona.

rock climbing

Amazing!

One of the best red rock hikes you can do, great views at the top!

This 1 mile hike is great and the views from the top looking into the valley even better. The hikes is not half as daunting as so many reviews state. As long as you are ok with a little bit of scrambling, you should be ok. The hike itself is not hard but the scrambling makes it interesting and sometimes challenging. But the views are super rewarding. We finished the hike in 2 hours including the hour we spent up top taking in the view and tons of pictures.

great hike, some scrambling, but doable, just take your time, view is great, felt the energy of the vortex on top