Cathedral Rock Trail

MODERATE 1,218 reviews

Cathedral Rock Trail is a 1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Cathedral Rock is a short hike that offers beautiful views of the naturally occurring red rock formations in the heart of red rock country. This is a favorite hike in the Sedona area. The Cathedral Rock trailhead can be accessed off of Back'O'Beyond Road. There is a small trailhead parking area. However, the trail can also be accessed from Baldwin and Templeton trails. The trail ends with a short steep climb to Cathedral Rock. There are some steep sections so hiking shoes are recommended. There are great views along the entirety of the trail.

Great hike that leads you on two adventures. Go up to the top and then hike down to the river. Parking is in the middle. Lovely day!

Very beautiful. Highly suggest going early during tourist season because it is such a busy trail. Climbing required in a couple of spots to get to the very top, but the view from even half way is incredible. Sedona is nothing like you've ever seen before!

great view, make sure to go to the left on the end of trail sign, can go up in between the rocks

Loved hiking this beautiful trail

Awesome

Beautiful area and the payoff at the top is incredible. Easy trail for kids to complete (youngest is 8) and doable for dogs as well. One area of the trail may be challenging but my GSP made it with little difficulty.
Try to go early, there is not much shade and there will be a lot of people.

Amazing views from the top. If you can go all the way. Bouldering down really wasn’t too bad. Took our 14 year old and she loved it!

Absolutely amazing. Once you get to the halfway mark (The Saddle) you literally scale the mountain. Be prepared to feel like a goat! If you can make it, it is 1000% worth the hike. Going down be prepared to get your butt dirty, as some places you just have to slide down the rocks. I'm so glad we chose to go to the top! It was fairly busy as we went over spring break, but it wasn't nearly as bad once you made it half way. Would recommend it over and over!

Great trail. The scramble is fine allowing you are willing to use your hands here and there to add stability. Epic view from saddle at summit.

Very pretty! Gorgeous views from the top!

Couple of tips:

- I wouldn’t bring dogs. We brought our two German shepherds and it was very steep for them, especially coming down. There were some parts we had to pick them up and carry them down.

- Go in the morning or early evening. It gets very hot because there is no shade.

- Bring a lot of water. Make sure you have a backpack or something to carry them because you’ll need two hands.

Great hiking with amazing views. Scramble up and a scramble down. Would hike with a backpack so your hands are free

fun scramble. excellent views from the saddle of the mountain. progressively more difficult.

So beautiful! Well worth the trip. We went early in the morning, which I recommend. By the time we came down the trail was getting really busy. Wouldn't recommend if it is really hot, trail is pretty exposed.

A really fun trail. I would suggest carrying a backpack - in multiple spots it’s nice to have both hands free to help climb up/down.

Sedona hikes are unbeatable

This is a terrific short and fairly easy hike. There are some rocks to scramble up near the start, but even young kids were managing it. Once you get to the top, the views are wonderful. I did it in the evening and the setting sun on the rocks was gorgeous.

rock climbing

Intense getting to the top but deff worth every second of it. Went to watch the sunset and we were the only people up there. Talk about beating a crowd...

Great views.
Not too long, route was steeper than anticipated.

Good amount of markers, trail clearly ends in a "End of Trail sign"

Start early in the summer , take plenty of water.

This was our first hike on our first visit to Sedona. It did not disappoint. The climb to the top was a little challenging but the spectacular view was worth the effort. Can’t wait to explore more trails.

Nice short hike! Definitely earns the moderate difficulty with some steep af scramble areas. Well worth the short grunt for the great views at the top!

My friends and I did this (and two other hikes) on our trip to Sedona. This was my personal favorite. I enjoyed scrambling for a good portion of the hike.

If you’d like to visit a supposed vortex, turn left at the “end of trail” sign. Veer right. On your left-hand side there is another 50 ft scramble that takes you between columns of red rock. The top of that scramble is named as a vortex.

I do not recommend this trail if you have a fear of heights. You do need shoes with good traction. A couple of my friends did not wear proper hiking footwear and found it tough to scramble up some portions.

Awesome trail. Definitely moderate due to quick elevation gain. It plateaus for a scenic overlook after about a mile, but the best part of this hike is other trails intersect and there are several options to keep going if you want more. Definitely my favorite hike in Sedona.

Must do hike !

Was a great hike, make sure you’re with a crowd willing to make it to the top.
If in the summer, go early, or go late. No shade, and it gets pretty dang hot

Awesome! Gave it 5 stars even though I totaled my drone at the top

Loved it. It was my first hike ever. Worth the climb.

This trail was so fun! Breezy up top on a hot day, and a good way for a beginner hiker to flex your climbing muscles. My boyfriend is deathly afraid of heights (mostly coming down), but he was able to make it back down without hyperventilating.

NOT DOG FRIENDLY. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Overall a fantastic trail but I would highly recommend leaving your pets at home for this one. Bell Rock is much more pet friendly.

Go before 9am to beat the heat and the crowds. Expect to do some climbing, so shoes with a good tread are needed.
Views at the top are very worth the effort of the short climb/hike!!!