Capitol Butte

Capitol Butte is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

rock climbing

Great hike! Very few switch backs. Straight up grind. Took 45 lb backpack. One of the mist technical in Sedona area.

All reviews are accurate — excellent trail finding skills needed once you’re reaching the summit and cannot be afraid of heights and sheer drops. Beautiful views with incredible outlooks over Sedona but Not for the faint of heart! I was the only person on this trail yesterday and having it to myself was amazing — unless something had gone wrong, I’d of been in trouble. I can easily see how people get up but can’t get down, never climb what you can’t descend as well! Some spots need light canyoneering and lots of scrambling. Worth it!

I have to agree with the last reviewer. the trail was not very well defined. I actually had to scramble up rocks to find the trail for my 2 hiking companions below. Which honestly was nerve wracking and adrenaline pumping! The views were phenomenal, but the hike itself was difficult! Definitely gird your loins for this one! I've been up Bear Mountain and Sterling's Pass and also hiked the Grandview Trail in the Grand Canyon which was the most intense hike I've done and I have to say at some points the Thunder Mountain Trail is as intense! Worth it but be prepared with plenty of water and some snacks along the way!

The hike was not moderate. It was extremely difficult. Should include notes about rock climbing. The map was inaccurate. My wife and I are in out early 30s and are very fit. This was very challenging and even scary at points. We were able to find our way to the top. The trail is not marked at all. Both going up and down we ended up off the trail and had to backtrack. I would still recommend the hike as the reward was very much worth the work. It took us 5 1/2 hours trying to follow the map. We met someone along the way who had taken a different route to about halfway up. He seemed to this that the route we took was more difficult.

Don’t do this hike unless you are in good shape and are comfortable with climbing some steep slopes.

recorded CB