Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Capitol Butte is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,788 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Don’t even try unless you have the map downloaded, I spent half the time looking At my phone to figure out where I was supposed to be going. All in all not the hardest thing in the world, but havinf your phone in your hand/not paying 100% attention can be dangerous

Not too hard, hiked my 5’8 surfboard up to the summit :)

I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for a difficult but rewarding hike. The views are AMAZING, however you will not do well if you are scared of heights or being close to edges. The trail did not have any other people on it and you are out there on your own. I had cell service the entire time so I used the “record” feature on this app to make sure I was staying on the trail. I did not make it to the very top of the trail because bouldering experience is needed and it would have been too dangerous to complete with my current skill level. It took me significantly longer than the estimated time and I am in my 20s and physically fit. Be cautious and prepared! Long leggings and hiking shoes.

Great hike with incredible views! I would recommend starting the hike early in the morning when the weather is much cooler since in the evening you would be more exposed to the sun. The hike itself wasn't very technical but it was steep and challenging; route finding experience is a must since the trail isn't so clearly defined and its easy to lose your way. I used maps.me to help keep track of the route offline.

Incredible! Hard to find trail at some points but worth it!

a challenge! starts out rocky with defined trail and transitions to scramble with undefined trail and intermittent cairns. fantastic views. Very doable with confidence, though plenty of spots with potential for scrapes/falls/injuries and narrow path close to the edge up top. downloaded map helpful.

Respect. Total and unending respect is called for with this most sacred mountain. Please before questing and enjoying the ego of getting to the top, take a moment to think about what type of energies you are stepping into. Ask permission. Lay down an intention, a prayer. Why do you want to climb this mountain? If you don’t really get what that means, well Spirit has a funny way of teaching. Out of all the higher peaks in this area. Thunder is most sacred in ways of protection for the Sedona portal. Grandfather is there along with all the other connections, especially the Kachinas in Flag. Make every step count and surrender to the quest in Self. Protect the Mazanitas. No markings. Leave no sign of your presence. Be a tracker. Walk in sacred ways. Maintain the few friendly stone cairn markers as they might save your life and others. Happy trails with gratitude!

This trail is hard to follow, beautiful and not for the weak of heart when it comes to heights.

Much less difficult than anticipated. Reading many previous reviews made me think that this was going to be a serious climb — it’s challenging for sure, but if you take your time and are not too afraid of heights, it’s completely manageable for the experienced hiker. The marked route here on AllTrails is really great and I always felt safe following it. As one commenter said above, if it feels like you need ropes, you’re probably off trail. The most difficult part for me was descending — it was close to sunset, and I was rushing, which may not have helped. Trickiest part was trail finding and having a charged phone with the map pulled up was super helpful.

Hiked on 2/14. This is a challenging trail—in steepness and in route finding. Wear grippy shoes because you will be doing lots of class III scrambles. There were a couple of spots where we started up and then said “no way” and had to find an easier way up. There was a really fun gully climb towards the top. Wish I had gotten a pic. The views from the top are incredible! Well worth the effort. However, we talked to a guy who volunteers with Sedona Search and Rescue and he said there have been several deaths and he has been part of many a rescue on this mountain. If you go, be prepared, take your time, and turn around if it becomes too much.

closed

Hiked in December for first time with reminets of snow. Would have been way lost without this map. Trail is evident until the last 500' or so, then very difficult to find, likely due to weather. I do not recommend hiking this solo. incredible views though.

Living in SED for 20 years and Thunder Mtn has earned the most respect of any peak locally. If you want to do it, read and understand ALL the warnings before you even consider this hike...it is not easy and there is no marked route - AND PLEASE DON'T MARK IT WITH CHALK OR EVEN SLASH MARKS - THIS IS DEFACING AND CRIMINAL - if you need help, stack a few rocks. BUT be sure you are marking a doable route! There is a way that is fun and has plenty of exposure. You're best bet is to go with someone who knows the way, or i will watch from my patio as they rescue you by heli...

Great hike. The trail is very rocky and rugged, steep in many places. Hard hike. The chalk mark arrows are great. Many paths up there. The arrows gave you the best route. Spectacular views