User could not be found.

Cape Royal Trail

Cape Royal Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Rim, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 65 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

Cape Royal is a long peninsula extending from the North Rim out over the Grand Canyon. It offers a phenomenal view, perhaps the most sweeping view of any Grand Canyon vista. Take the short stroll to the end of the cape and to the promontory on the window. It's an easy walk less than a mile RT on a flat, paved trail providing views of the canyon, Angels Window, and the Colorado River. Markers along the trail interpret the area's natural history. Trail begins at the southeast side of the Cape Royal parking area. With seemingly unlimited vistas to the east and west, it is popular for both sunrise and sunset. The sweeping turn of the Colorado River at the Unkar Delta is framed through the natural arch of Angels Window. Look for the Desert View Watchtower across the canyon on the South Rim. Angels Window can be viewed from Angels Window Overlook at the Cliff Springs Trailhead. The trailhead parking area is at the end of the paved Cape Royal Road, which circles northeast and then south from the main road leading to North Rim VC and lodge.

Bonkers view!

Paved trail, several lookout points on the same trail which was nice. Light traffic but amazing view!

Super easy, great views

this was a fun, easy, and mostly shaded trail midday.

Nice, easy hike to an overlook of the canyon. There was some shade and a nice breeze to keep it for getting too hot.

Nice stroll with amazing views. The best I have seen on the north rim. Great for all fitness levels.

Easy trail with amazing views. Definitely worth the drive.

Very easy trail. The overlook from the top of Angel's Window was one of my favorites in the park.

Really bummed Cape Royal road is closed at the Y junction. Go to point imperial instead.

Thu Nov 08 2018

Not really a hike but absolutely worth the views

Tue Oct 23 2018

NIce picnic area. Don't know if I would call this a hike.

Tue Oct 23 2018

Nice picnic area. I don't know if I would call this a hike...

Mon Oct 22 2018

Epic overlooks!

Wed Oct 10 2018

Best panoramic views of the canyon on the north rim that we saw! Easy for the whole family with paved walk paths... worth the drive out there!

Sun Jun 03 2018

Great views after a winding drive on pavement. Two great walkouts. It got my vertigo going, but it was worth it to push thru it.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Loved it!

Tue Apr 11 2017

This is a very easy walk out to a few viewpoints on the north rim. The road out to Cape Royal is a long drive from the North Rim Lodge area. But worth it. Although you are not allowed to, we spent the night out there and got up early to see the sunrise from the north rim. I have seen this incredible scene from the south rim a few times, and it is something to see regardless. One of the 7 natural wonders of our world!! Angels window holds a special meaning to me too. That's where I asked my girlfriend to marry me, on the 4th of July as we watched the sunrise from that spot!! I walked out to Angels Window with my girlfriend, and walked back with my fiance! Still together and we still love the outdoors

Mon May 30 2016

Short, easy and level hike to 2 viewpoints with wonderful views

Thu Jul 24 2014

One of those short hikes that is well worth the time. I have hiked it about half a dozen times, several times with my grandchildren. Even my wife likes it and she doesn't hike.

Sat Jan 18 2014

It was a spectacular day on the North Rim, and the scenery was awesome. After a long drive to the trailhead parking area, the trail was extremely flat and short, but the views along the way gave us reasons to take our time and ponder the vastness and beauty of the Grand Canyon. Also make sure you take in the view of the window from the rim as you don't realize the window is right below you when you walk out onto the promontory. Highly recommend this just for the views (also great for picnics).

recorded Cape Royal Trail