Campbell Mesa Loop

Campbell Mesa Loop is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Interesting animal tracks here and there. Enjoyed the flatness of the mesa for increasing speed on trail running. Beautiful day out!

Ok trail. Well-marked. Nothing too exciting to see here though. It was a fairly easy trail with only a few spots with an incline that might cause you to break a mild sweat. Rocks on the trail are a hazard like most AZ hikes. We went with my dogs on a cloudy Sunday in February, about 35 degrees. We only encountered 3 other people. One runner with his dog off leash, which made me feel better about having mine off leash as the dog approached quickly and far ahead of his owner. Dog was friendly. We encountered a solo hiker who was friendly as he passed and when he had walked several yards past us, screamed to himself something unintelligible. We also encountered one friendly mountain biker. I liked that the trail wasn't heavily travelled as I usually let my dogs off leash and put them on leash as people approach. This gets tiresome on a busy trail. Although I'm sure traffic varies with the season/conditions.

Overall, it was a decent trail. Took us about two hours. But, the scenery is a bit monotonous. No really picturesque views or anything here. You can see the mountains at a few spots. I found several spots in the trail that were needlessly winding. I usually just cut across to save time as there was certainly nothing to see by going the long way. Although you may want to stay on the trail in warmer months in case there may be a snake off trail. I'll probably go again as it was a peaceful hike. If you just want to get out in nature and hike, it's great. Just don't expect any photo ops. I did see a few cougar tracks which was probably the most interesting part.

rode our MTBs here nice easy loop near town very scenic

Trail easy but it had it challenges for novices like us. Small outcroppings of rocks along the entire way dispersed 50 to 100 feet or more a part, some closer. Definitely had to keep your eye on the path as there were also single rocks along the way with patches of smooth clear writing of dirt. The only people we saw was one group who was hiking out and that was it. We had the entire rest of the trail to ourselves. It winds through Pine trees and woods and the scenery really doesn't change all that much but it was very beautiful on a clear crisp autumn day around 60°. Perfect weather, very nice trail. The parking lot was nearly full we took the third to last space. There's also a forest service road that can be biked and many other trails in this area. I recommend this trail!

Great after work bicycling trail.

Great scenic trail for first time or beginner mountain bikers. Trail was well marked and easy to do.

Great loop in the pines.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Excellent trail. Well marked loop with high views. Mountain bikers and horses also use this trail but it is well kept and accommodates all skill levels

Sunday, June 15, 2014