Camelback Mountain Via Echo Canyon Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

partially paved

Camelback Mountain is one of the most popular hiking and rock climbing destinations in Phoenix, Arizona and offers spectacular views of the Phoenix metropolitan area. The mountain is located in the Camelback Mountain Echo Canyon Recreation Area northwest of Scottsdale and between the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix and the town of Paradise Valley. The mountain was previously a Native American reservation and has special historical significance. The summit can be reached via two hiking trails: the Echo Canyon Trail or the Cholla Trail - both trails are strenuous and subject to extreme heat. Make sure to bring plenty of water as numerous people have died of heat stroke. The last half mile of the trail involves a rock scramble so proper footwear is key. Traffic is extremely heavy during the winter season on the Echo Canyon route so consider the Cholla Trail or other hiking trails in the Phoenix area. Visiting climbers might also be interested in The Praying Monk, a 100 foot rock formation depicting a monk who is praying.

Great fitness trait. Can be crowded. Parking sucks

enjoyable hike for the morning good workout. loads of people on the trail, easy tracking with goo signage and the view is just amazing

beautiful views. Can be tough in parts as it is pretty steep.

Nice hike

So much fun...the sign at the bottom rates this hike as extremely difficult and I would agree with that as you are bouldering for most of it. Challenging but totally worth it...our GPS indicated 10km round trip.

Definitely a good workout climbing boulders and straight up in spots. Worth it once you are at the top. Parking at trailhead is a challenge

No hiking staff needed! You'll need both hands to help negotiate many areas, though you're not really "boulder scrambling"... it's more like climbing steep stairs for most of the hike. There are hand rails where you need them. I was glad I wore low cut, light weight hiking tennis shoes as it allowed me to flex and extend my feet for longer strides from rock to rock (ankle supporting, leather boots would have slowed me down on this hike, though that's what I usually wear for hikes). A Camelback (go figure) style hydration backpack is the way to go... keep your hands free!

Great hike with incredible views. It’s a challenge but definitely not as hard as the signs suggest. Most of the steep areas have hand rails. Parking is difficult, do it on a weekday if possible.

Gorgeous. Didn’t find it as hard as the trail head signage suggests. Lots of climbing, rock scaling, bouldering type hike versus just a walk.

Great hike, the top looks amazing, bring water.

Best urban hike I have ever done. Pretty close to the airport and difficulty level will not disappoint you. It's a trail testing your endurance. Short but strenuous. Beautiful views from the top. Do not expect to see any wildlife, unless you're too lucky.

Beautiful views at the top. Definitely a challenge to get up there though. Difficult hike with lots of rock climbing.

Harder than I anticipated! I think it’s hard bc it’s basically vertical. Views cool but mostly city views. We went up echo trail and down the opposite way which most of the locals said doing it the opposite was would have been easier.

Cake

Hardest hike in Phoenix metro and parking is challenging. I love this hike and it has the best views of all the hikes in central Phoenix.

CamelBack wasn’t what I expected, I expected a moderate hike with some terrain but I was wrong, I love the challenge and the view is worth it once you get to the top!

Amazing hike!! Totally worth the climb at the top. And when I mean climb....I mean CLIMB! Went before sunrise to skip the crowds. On the way down, more people were definitely showing up. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Make sure to wear the proper shoes. Lots of loose gravel. Overall had a great time with amazing views.

great hike !!! amazing views..plan on doing this one every month

Who wants to see houses for scenery at the top of a mountain? Go hike the real outdoors! :)

Awesome.

This trail was fantastic! Going on a weekday in October was perfect as there were fewer people and although it was warm, it wasn’t 100+ degrees. Not a lot of wild flowers this time of the year but it was still beautiful! The views from the top were breathtaking. Gravel makes it slippery on the way down so take your time and gloves are a plus as you are grabbing on to rocks often for balance. Have fun!

Great early morning hike. Quite a lot of rock scrambling and steep in places but worth it for the view. Best done early when most of it is on the shade.

Hard but worth it

Always a good hike at this spot!

Great trail & views! Kind of a bootie kicker which I love! As an Arizona native its still one of my favs ✌

This hike is not moderate, but a fun challenge with amazing views at the top. There is a lot of boulder scrambling so gloves are recommended. Not recommended for anyone with knee problems. Not long, but very steep and takes concentration on the way down to find your footing.

Fun, Challenging and the view at the top makes it worth it

Fun, challenging and endless views with mild weather yesterday. My first time hiking Camelback. Take plenty of water.

Hate to be in the minority here, but Camelback is just meh. My issue is the crowd and just the general traffic of the mountain. I have done this hike 3 times. The first time was 117 at my truck when I started out. as you can imagine there was only 5-10 people on the trail. The second time up was just about 10 degrees cooler and was also uncrowded. Today the temperature was about 76 and was very crowded and kind of unfriendly.

Yeah the hike is strenuous and a scramble for most of the way, but what I find lacking is soul.

For an in town hike I am all about Piestewa. People just seem happier, less aggressive and I like the views better. Given the opportunity a short drive to the mountains ringing our valley and points beyond seem to offer what brings me happiness and peace. I understand the draw here, but I think I'll reserve Camelback for the crazy hot months when the crowds are sane enough to stay away.

Only went half way up Echo Canyon Trail, because one of our hikers has a bad knee. Nice views and a good workout going up. Going down the footing is a little shaky.