Camelback Mountain via Echo Canyon Trail

Camelback Mountain via Echo Canyon Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,423 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

partially paved

Camelback Mountain is one of the most popular hiking and rock climbing destinations in Phoenix, Arizona and offers spectacular views of the Phoenix metropolitan area. The mountain is located in the Camelback Mountain Echo Canyon Recreation Area northwest of Scottsdale and between the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix and the town of Paradise Valley. The mountain was previously a Native American reservation and has special historical significance. The summit can be reached via two hiking trails: the Echo Canyon Trail or the Cholla Trail - both trails are strenuous and subject to extreme heat. Make sure to bring plenty of water as numerous people have died of heat stroke. The last half mile of the trail involves a rock scramble so proper footwear is key. Traffic is extremely heavy during the winter season on the Echo Canyon route so consider the Cholla Trail or other hiking trails in the Phoenix area. Visiting climbers might also be interested in The Praying Monk, a 100 foot rock formation resembling a monk who is praying.

Toughest hike my Son and I have done, wasn’t expecting it. Plan was to do the entire Out and Back, but Nature has other plans...

Amazing!!

One of the best hikes in Arizona.. Loved it.. Awesome work out.. I've done camelback mountain via cholla trail but I would prefer this route over that.. If you are looking for a good work out then go for it.. Also, DON'T forget to bring gloves, it helped me a lot to climb quickly..

Takes over an hour, good shoes with traction a must, very steep over boulders In spots not good trail for small children , bring water go before noon or will be too warm great view lots of people

No hiking poles needed but bring some gloves. Very clean trail, we only found 2 pieces of garbage. Bring your water, and watch out for the speed runners.

Hermosas vistas al final

Fantastic trail! I hadn’t done it in several years and was worried that it would be more difficult than I remembered. While it is a difficult hike, it’s not impossible. Lots of rock scrambles and some climbing. Gloves or wraps for your hands would be good since you do have to push yourself up in some spots and my hands are a little ripped up now. Beautiful view from the top too!

Get there early! We arrived to the trailhead around noon on a weekend and the lot was full. There was a “Full Lot” sign stoping cars from entering. We ended up parking at a grocery store and taking an Uber. I’m definitely out of shape, and this trail really kicked my butt. Took about 2.5 hours with plenty of breaks and water for my hefty self. There are multiple scrambles on the route. Great scenery and seeing all of the valley from the top is a cool reward.

I've not hiked this mountain in about 15 years and being an old trail runner I remembered why it's been so long. Great hike and workout if you like rock climbing. Not a great trail to run.

Awesome and challenging hike! First time doing it and we were a little worried about how hard everyone had been making it sound, but it was great. It took us novices an hour to get up but it was totally worth it. There wasn’t any sun on the way up at 8am and traffic was light, which was ideal. Highly recommend! Gloves could be helpful for gripping on the rocks while climbing parts.

I’ve lived in Phoenix for 15 years and today was my first time hiking Camelback. My recording got deleted but I made it out and back in an hour and five minutes. Its a very challenging trail and super convenient if you live in the Phoenix area. The downsides are the views are not all too great and the amount of traffic is a hassle.

Hard!!! But worth it!!!

Such a fun hike with incredible views of the city and surrounding mountains!

First time doing Camelback! Lived in the valley for 16 years said I’d never do this trail! Well I’ll be back to do again. But will make it to the top.