Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Camelback Mountain via Echo Canyon Trail

Camelback Mountain via Echo Canyon Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

partially paved

Camelback Mountain is one of the most popular hiking and rock climbing destinations in Phoenix, Arizona and offers spectacular views of the Phoenix metropolitan area. The mountain is located in the Camelback Mountain Echo Canyon Recreation Area northwest of Scottsdale and between the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix and the town of Paradise Valley. The mountain was previously a Native American reservation and has special historical significance. The summit can be reached via two hiking trails: the Echo Canyon Trail or the Cholla Trail - both trails are strenuous and subject to extreme heat. Make sure to bring plenty of water as numerous people have died of heat stroke. The last half mile of the trail involves a rock scramble so proper footwear is key. Traffic is extremely heavy during the winter season on the Echo Canyon route so consider the Cholla Trail or other hiking trails in the Phoenix area. Visiting climbers might also be interested in The Praying Monk, a 100 foot rock formation depicting a monk who is praying.

This was a beautiful hike. You have to start early though (like 6:30am), or be prepared to wait 15-20 minutes for parking in the lot. It definitely gets more crowded as time passes. It is a lot of elevation throughout and scrambling for a good portion of the way up and down. Definitely challenging, but doable. There were people of all ages on this trail. Gorgeous views at the top with many places to stop and take in the scenery.

Best to go early in the morning to get the shade as you hike up. Good grip shoes and at least 1L of water is recommended. This hike will get the heart racing and thighs working as you climb up boulders of various sizes. Coming down is fairly easy, but take your time to ensure good footing. Consider a pair of workout gloves if you have soft hands. Gripping boulders as you come down can make hands hurt/ sensitive.

This was a great hike! There were a lot of people, but it was mangable. There isn't a parking lot, so my group had to park a mile away. It was easy til the halfway point and then you have to climb the rocks. It was allot of fun!

This is a great challenging hike.

Have hiked several times over the years. Despite the crowds, it’s always worth it. This time I hiked with two of my sons, ages 10 and 12. They loved the challenge and beat me to the top.

Started our hike at 6:45 am to beat the crowds. Good idea as there was a steady stream of hikers going up as we headed down. Lots of people out this day. And the parking lot was full when we returned. Get there early to beat the crowds and heat.

Really fun hike to do in the morning! There were challenging parts but overall rewarding and a great workout!

Great and challenging hike. A lot of scrambling once you get about halfway up. Take your time. Saw so many folks coming down the mountain with bloody knees and elbows cause they either rushed or weren’t careful. If you’re in moderately good shape and up for the challenge the vistas and viewpoints are a great reward.

P.S. - Bring extra water and sunscreen. You’ll be glad you did.

Great trail! Hard core workout if you let yourself go all the way ;) 7 months since my last hike and I’m very happy with difficulty level and my results on this one.

Bring 2 bottles of water

Fantastic morning scramble up and down this super fun hike!!! Views are okay at best BUT we seriously had a blast, just a ton of fun. Rained the entire way down which made it extremely slippery but would do again in a heart beat.

Overrated and crowded. Nice views of Scottsdale tho.

It’s amazing when it’s not crowded.

This is one of my favorite hikes when I get to Phoenix. Crowded, but fun.

For someone who doesn't do a lot of hiking, this trail was challenging but very rewarding. A lot of scrambling over boulders. Which I really enjoyed. If you have bad knees, the downhill can be rough. You'll want to keep your hands free. Bring a lite backpack and at least 32 oz of water per person. There's a lot of people on this trail. Also, I did notice quite a bit of bee activity. If your kids are 6 and under or inexperienced hikers, I recommend leaving them at home. Once you reach the top there's a great view of the city.

Rock climbing to me. Took me an hour to go up and even longer to go down. Eat before you hike and bring lots of water! I always have three bottles of water. One in thermo. Parking gets full super quick. I went last weekend right before sun rise and the front parking was already full. I recommend bringing gloves.  view from the top is spectacular. I can see all rich neighborhoods lol but summit is not too big and too scary. I would not send the edge. I could easily fall. I wouldn’t take little kids.

Well marked but highly trafficked. Great trail and views. Definitely recommend!

Gorgeous day to hike up there. Wear proper footwear - the rocks can be slippery on the way down.

Great trail with plenty of false peaks!

Kicked our butts but it was rewarding! I'd not attempt it hungover if I were you

Great hike and beautiful view just before sunset!!!

Trail rating says hard and it definitely lived up to this rating. I was in from Chicago for the weekend for a soccer tournament and a friend and I decided to take an Uber over there and hike. Beware there’s never any parking in the morning so luckily our hotel was only a couple miles away. Mostly vertical hike and some very steep terrain. It was a very busy-never had to slow down for any other reason than my own challenges.

Sustained. Fun rock scrambling. Lots of people! Started at 1030 and parking was a challenge. The rangers open and close the parking as spots come available. GREAT VIEWS!

awesome day

FOR TOURSITS:
Hello! Welcome to Phoenix! Camelback is a beautiful and equally difficult hike. Please, please wear proper hiking boots, not Nikes! They don't have enough tread and you will slip A LOT. Also, don't carry water bottles in your hands; you'll need your hands for a big portion of the hike. While, yes it's a much coveted hike, it's also a hard mountain to climb so please, please don't stroll up there like it's a walk in the park - it's not. People get hurt all the time; local hikers who are prepared get hurt. Be careful and if you're a little bit nervous about it - don't do it.