Camelback Mountain Via Echo Canyon Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

partially paved

Camelback Mountain is one of the most popular hiking and rock climbing destinations in Phoenix, Arizona and offers spectacular views of the Phoenix metropolitan area. The mountain is located in the Camelback Mountain Echo Canyon Recreation Area northwest of Scottsdale and between the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix and the town of Paradise Valley. The mountain was previously a Native American reservation and has special historical significance. The summit can be reached via two hiking trails: the Echo Canyon Trail or the Cholla Trail - both trails are strenuous and subject to extreme heat. Make sure to bring plenty of water as numerous people have died of heat stroke. The last half mile of the trail involves a rock scramble so proper footwear is key. Traffic is extremely heavy during the winter season on the Echo Canyon route so consider the Cholla Trail or other hiking trails in the Phoenix area. Visiting climbers might also be interested in The Praying Monk, a 100 foot rock formation depicting a monk who is praying.

26 minutes ago

Awesome, Worth it!

Rated hard but if you’re in shape and have okay balance this shouldn’t be any trouble at all. Be sure to hydrate, take water and good shoes.

Trail is xtremely well traveled. Rated hard but with the well groomed and placed steps, handholds and rails its overrated. I'd say it's an easy hike with plenty of opportunity to stay safe for fit individuals. Big falls possible if careless or weak. Lower body injuries will require rescue and dehydration is most risky factor. Slippy gravel at times recommended grippy soles.

Echo Canyon is a great workout, no question. A little scrambling the last part and of course 'the rails' will test you but they aren't nearly as bad as they are reputed to be. It's a great morning hike late in the season because the last part has a lot of shade. Is it harder than the Cholla trail? Overall in my opinion no. There are some challenging spots but all in all I feel it's slightly easier.

Parking sucks, no question. Best bet is to get a ride to and from unless you want to camp out on McDonald in the wee hours of the morning hoping for a spot.

Excellent

Always a tough hike but rewarding at the top

Expected it to be a little harder than it was but great views nonetheless. Would definitely would reccomend a sunrise start!

Great hike. Harder and more challenging than anticipated but well worth it. I recommend a backpack for water so you can use both hands to climb up the harder parts.

Decided to give it a shot in the mid-afternoon instead of super early in the AM. Got a nice parking space and didn't have to twiddle my thumbs behind slowpokes or get trampled by speed demons. I think I passed about 10 people and was passed by about 10 people. Guess that makes me pretty average.

Hard but worth the effort!

Such a rewarding hike!

This was the most difficult trail I have ever hiked. I can say I've achieved to the top and would never hike it again. Check mark it off my to do list. done ! I fell on my butt 2x going down. very easy to get lost. no wonder people get rescued every year up on that mountain.

My favorite around PHX.

We are so glad we practiced hiking in the South Mountain first before tackling this last week. It is for people like me who likes scrambling, clinging and finding my footing. My 13 year old son did it without much difficulty. There are false summit but keep pushing till you reached the top. I prefer this trail over cholla trail on the other side. There were families with small kids and they made it to the top, the parents just had to carry them in some points, all you need when hiking with small kids is PATIENCE, and water.

First time hiking in Arizona and this trail was beyond my expectations!

Fun, somewhat difficult due to vertical rise. Some parts which involve scrambling are definitely exciting.

It’s been a year and a half since I did this trail. I was 9 week pregnant and the elevation definitely got my heart rate up there! It was super busy and a lot of waiting on people, but I’m glad we did it! Parking was somewhat challenging also.

Burnt more than 1000 calories according to my fitbit and almost got in my 10,000 steps for the day. I got there at 7am on a wednesday and there was plenty of parking.

A little dangerous in my opinion. Hike with safety in mind first, don't try jumping from one rock to the next even if you think you can do it.

Views are spectacular. Challenging, but the volume of people hiking with zero etiquette, utterly unprepared makes this trail stressful and hazardous. Wouldn’t do it again.

Beautiful at the summit! The trail is more distinct than the other side (Cholla). It is also steep but there are rails to help you along the way.

Great hike and workout! Trail does get a bit tough at times but it well worth it. Views at the top are worth it.

WORTH IT

Our group was 2 adults and 3 kids (8, 10 and 12). We made it all the way to the summit and back in 3 hours with a few stops. Very challenging but very doable. Very rewarding once you reach the summit. Kids and adults very happy. Just don’t push the kids limits and let them hike it at safe pace. Expect lots of rock scrambling. Bring good hiking shoes with good grip (a good number of people lost balance due to incorrect shoes with no grip). Don’t forget to bring water!

Fantastic!!! Hard and SO worth it

Great fitness trait. Can be crowded. Parking sucks

enjoyable hike for the morning good workout. loads of people on the trail, easy tracking with goo signage and the view is just amazing

beautiful views. Can be tough in parts as it is pretty steep.

Nice hike

So much fun...the sign at the bottom rates this hike as extremely difficult and I would agree with that as you are bouldering for most of it. Challenging but totally worth it...our GPS indicated 10km round trip.

Definitely a good workout climbing boulders and straight up in spots. Worth it once you are at the top. Parking at trailhead is a challenge