Camelback Mountain via Echo Canyon Trail

Camelback Mountain via Echo Canyon Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scottsdale, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,423 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

partially paved

Camelback Mountain is one of the most popular hiking and rock climbing destinations in Phoenix, Arizona and offers spectacular views of the Phoenix metropolitan area. The mountain is located in the Camelback Mountain Echo Canyon Recreation Area northwest of Scottsdale and between the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix and the town of Paradise Valley. The mountain was previously a Native American reservation and has special historical significance. The summit can be reached via two hiking trails: the Echo Canyon Trail or the Cholla Trail - both trails are strenuous and subject to extreme heat. Make sure to bring plenty of water as numerous people have died of heat stroke. The last half mile of the trail involves a rock scramble so proper footwear is key. Traffic is extremely heavy during the winter season on the Echo Canyon route so consider the Cholla Trail or other hiking trails in the Phoenix area. Visiting climbers might also be interested in The Praying Monk, a 100 foot rock formation resembling a monk who is praying.

When I got to the trail the first thing I saw was that it is identified as extremely difficult. It is very steep, and in some areas it feel more like mountain climbing than hiking. The most important thing when doing this trial is taking your time. It's difficult, but it's doable.

It's a real change. Take more water and wear a proper shoes !

I did echo up and cholla down then back up cholla and down echo. By far the hardest hike I’ve done in Phoenix. You want a good leg workout go find yourself on camelback or If you need to train for something or just want a good workout... Bring lost of water and be careful

Always be my favorite hike!

12/1/19- Wow! Camelback Mountain via Echo Canyon is awesome! If you're looking for a challenge, then this is it! You will be hanging onto rails and climbing over rocks and boulders as you make your way to the top. But the view at the end is gorgeous. I recommend wearing hiking shoes, as you won't find good grip on this terrain with other shoes. I also recommend hiking gloves to protect your hands from the railings and rocks that you'll be touching. I do not recommend bringing your dog (I really don't believe they're allowed), and bikes are not allowed. My friend and I were lucky today since the hiking team carried the Christmas tree up to the top, decorated it with ornaments made of bird seed, and handed out candy canes to all of the hikers! It was a perfect way to kick off the holiday season. Overall, I loved this hike and I highly recommend it! :D

beautiful hike with large steps.

Great workout

This was my first time on Camelback Mountain and I loved it. This was the hardest trail I’ve done so far. Awesome view of the whole Phoenix area

tough but worth the effort once you get to the top!

Beautiful Thanksgiving hike!

The effort on this trail is rewarded with spectacular views. I’ve hiked some tough trails, but this one was one of the most difficult. While it’s just over two miles, it will test your endurance and will. Even in 48 degree weather I worked up a sweat. You will scramble quite a bit, and you will be tired at the end of the journey. Get there early in the morning, choose sunrise if possible for the smallest crowds and cooler temperatures, even in November. If you show around 11 AM there will be a ton of people and with that plenty of backups. Bring plenty of water for the trip. I would not recommend this trail for people with bad knees or those out of shape. It really is that difficult.

Perfect morning for a hike! Definitely some bouldering here. Lots of fun. Took about an hour up and 45 minutes back. Lots of people on the trail.

A fun afternoon hike in November. Great views at the top. Rocky areas, so I would suggest good trail running shoes. Took about 60 minutes to get to top and 60 minutes to return to the parking lot.

Nice steep climb, panoramic view at top. Be prepared to use your hands

I’d heard great things about the hiking in AZ for a long time so decided to check some of it out today. Started late : 3:50pm Finished in a couple hrs but was definitely down after dark. Hiking in the dark was actually really pleasant but you must have a headlamp or flashlight. Highly recommend good hiking shoes. Park ranger and folks on the trail were nice as ever. Everyone helpful and in a good mood. It’s almost pure bouldering. For such a short hike it kicks your ass! All this being said: THE VIEW AT THE TOP IS 100% WORTH IT. Some locals told me about the surrounding mtn ranges and various hikes to do in the area, and also loaned me a flashlight to get down cause I would’ve been SOL. Shoutout to Joshua and his friends! 10/10 would recommend!

Challenging hike with a lot of scrambling. Great views along the way and at the top.