New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Camelback Mountain via Echo Canyon and Cholla Trail

Camelback Mountain via Echo Canyon and Cholla Trail is a 7.7 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Valley, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, rock climbing, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.7 km Elevation Gain: 798 m Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. The two different routes to the 2,680ft summit offer different challenges, and both are featured in this guide. Echo Canyon is the popular route, which ascends 1,400 foot up the western side of the mountain in just over a mile. The journey quickly becomes a real leg-burner but delivers some good hiking experiences and a varied terrain. The Cholla trail heads up a well maintained trail on Camelback's east flank, but becomes a challenging and technical ascent upon reaching the ridgeline. This fun 1.3 mile route becomes increasingly rocky and precipitous, and though the conditions here are not extreme, we'd certainly urge caution and wouldn't recommend this route for young children or folk with a strong aversion to heights. Elevation gain: - Approx. 1,300ft (from 1,450 - 2,680ft)

I'm used to hiking the Appalachian Mts...these are far rockier that I prefer. but, scenery was nice, except for the rain. slippery rocks have appropriate hiking shoes.

New PB with 20lb Vest

I’ve lived in Phoenix for 15 years and it was my first time to Camelback. The trail was challenging trail but way too much traffic. The views are not all to amazing at the top but it is very convenient if you live in Phoenix.

Hard hike obviously as you hiking up Camelback twice. Just take your time so you don't burn yourself out or worse, trip and fall over the side. It gets crowded so try to get there early. It was kind of amusing passing by people going the other way after backtracking. "You're going up again?!" Yea, my car is on the other side. Also make sure you're wearing appropriate footwear. This trail definitely is one where it matters. Passed a poor girl who was wearing flip flops, she looked miserable. Lastly bring water, duh.

Really fun, Harder than I anticipated probably because I hiked it in vans but still not as hard as when i hiked Thompson Peak in crocs

Such a great hike - beautiful all along the way!! But so hard

Great hiking trail, requires 3 hrs

Pretty difficult and steep hike with a fair amount if scrambling required. Climbed via Echo Canyon and descended via Cholla. Unfortunately, started too late in the day and ran out of time for the return hike. Great views from the top - really enjoyed the hike.

20lbs Vest. Insane workout.

First part is really difficult but is worth it. on November is perfect weather to do this, not to warm. recommended. we did it in 1h 39min

This is probably one of the most fun hikes I have done. Scaling the rocks was a lot of fun, and the weather was nice and cool for us. I will definitely do this hike again next time I am in town.

too much hype.

Not my highest elevation by far, but very technically difficult. Do not attempt if you are not ready to climb at a steep incline the entire way, as well as tackle scramble and boulders. Great view at the top though!! Overall I would agree with the difficult rating, not moderate.

That trail was fantastic. Not quite for beginners but handrails make it easier. View as always was beautiful.

This is definitely a challenge but we’ll worth the reward

This was a very tough hike. Recommend for advanced hikers who wants to challenge themselves. I started on the Echo Canyon side (shorter but tougher) side and it took me a little over 3 hours to finish.

It’s hard but doable. Improve the marking on the part where you have to scramble to the top. Good challenge. Lots of room on top.