Camelback Mountain Via Echo Canyon and Cholla Trails

Camelback Mountain Via Echo Canyon and Cholla Trails is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. The two different routes to the 2,680ft summit offer different challenges, and both are featured in this guide. Echo Canyon is the popular route, which ascends 1,400 foot up the western side of the mountain in just over a mile. The journey quickly becomes a real leg-burner but delivers some good hiking experiences and a varied terrain. The Cholla trail heads up a well maintained trail on Camelback's east flank, but becomes a challenging and technical ascent upon reaching the ridgeline. This fun 1.3 mile route becomes increasingly rocky and precipitous, and though the conditions here are not extreme, we'd certainly urge caution and wouldn't recommend this route for young children or folk with a strong aversion to heights. Elevation gain: - Approx. 1,300ft (from 1,450 - 2,680ft)

Not too bad

This is just a link up of Cholla Trail and Echo Canyon Trail. There is no "Camelback Trail".

Fun morning climb/hike. The western route has more steep climbs and requires more climbing than hiking. The east side is very techinal and steep towards the summit, but is moderate for the lower two thirds.

Did this hike starting at Echo Canyon entrance (parking lot & bathrooms at this location!) - got there around 6:20-6:30 on a Thursday morning. Was still fairly populated and some people even coming down from starting earlier at 5:20ish with head lamps. Hiked straight through and came down Cholla trail - took about an hour each way (stopped to catch my breath several times on the way up Echo which was very steep & strenuous) and stayed at the summit for 10-20 minutes. TIPS: get here EARLY!! There is no formal parking at Cholla trail entrance - you must park on Invergordon rd. Wear pants! you may be scooting down on your butt during parts of the trail and while temps aren't as hot right now you might not want to get scratched/dirty. Don't let the reviews scare you - you do not need mountain climbing experience to do this hike. What you do need is some good leg muscles! Difficulty is in endurance - if you're afraid of heights or going down steep portions maybe not the hike for you. But definitely worth it! We took an uber at the finish from Cholla entrance back to our parked cars at Echo side.

Bring lots of water and pace yourself to match your fitness and experience level. You will work up a sweat as you climb, so don't go piling on the sweatshirts in the winter.

I’m in good shape and would not rate this difficult. If you exercise at all I’d call it a solid moderate. Made it to summit in just under an hour. Great views and great workout!

Very difficult anaerobic uphill, and dangerously steep downhill. Great views from the top. Bring water!

Omg! My ass was handed to me but I made it to the top!! Will I do it again? You betcha ya!!

Pretty hike! Very beautiful once you reach the top. Would definitely hike again!

It's difficult, but for those who are really physically fit, it's the perfect challenge!

Long and difficult but sweeping, expansive views at the top. Needed to climb a few times on hands and knees over various obstacles

My favorite

My fav

My fav

Encouraged from my hike on Squaw Peak the day before I was ready to give Camelback a go. Definately a little more difficult than Squaw Peak. Ascended on Cholla and descended on Echo Canyon side as it was midmorning by then. I'm hooked and want to go up the Echo Canyon side next time. August 18, 2017

If you're not in great shape avoid during the summer. While I was there two people had to be air lifted off the mountain. I did the entire thing Echo Canyon to Cholla and back approximately 8-9 miles took about 4.5 hours not my best time but the heat was intense averaging 110-115 as always bring more water than you think you'll need.

Arrive early to get parking and beat the heat. Bring more water than you think you will need - a snack at the peak is a good call. Excellent hike!

I'm 56. This was challenging but doable! A lot of people on the weekends.

Excellent hike. Hard and amazing! Best full hike so far and my favourite!