Camelback Mountain Via Cholla Trail

Camelback Mountain Via Cholla Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Trailhead is on Cholla Lane. Parking available on Invergordon Street.

The hike is well worth the views. Wear appropriate footwear and gloves would be a bonus. Bring lots of water!

awesome trail

Good hike, especially for a short one. There are lots of people on the trail, however, on the weekend, apparently. I’d guess that around 1/10 to 1/8 of the trail, especially above the saddle is Class 3. Great views from summit. Take a backpack or water bladder pack to free both hands up for upper part, and bring gloves.

Very nice hike today.

We ended up having to park at the JW Marriott about 1.3 miles away. We arrived at 8:00 and there was no parking. We walked to the trail from the Marriott hotel, not a bad idea, if there’s no other option. It just made the overall hike about 45 minutes longer. The Camelback Mountain trail is great, though. We went up the steep way (there are 2 ways to go up). The best advice is 1) IT IS ALWAYS CROWDED, SO BE PREPARED FOR THAT....2) BACKPACK WITH WATER SO YOU CAN GO HANDS-FREE..... 3) HIKING SHOES ARE THE BEST SO YOU SLIP LESS EASILY, BUT SLIPPING AT TIMES HAPPENS.... 4) MAKE EVERY STEP A THOUGHTFUL, PLANNED ONE WHEN GOING UP THE STEEP PARTS AND ALSO GOING DOWN.... 5) DRINK MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED, CAUSE YOU DO NEED MORE THAN YOU WILL FEEL LIKE DRINKING..... 6) TAKE REST BREAKS TO GATHER STRENGTH..... 7) DON’T QUIT! THIS TRAIL IS DOABLE, AND IT IS WORTH THE CLIMB! I HAVE DONE IT TWO TIMES NOW. I WAS SMARTER ABOUT THE APPROACH THE SECOND TIME.

Exhausting but fun! Definitely got a work out in.

Beautiful views and well worth the climb!

Great trail, more steep than echo in my opinion. Beautiful views Ive only gone up this way and gone down the other side once and vice versa the other time so I would say it would still take a good 2 hours up and down if youre only stopping a few times for water/breathing breaks.

There are some spectacular views, and those are well worth the climb. The climb can be challenging near the top, depending on your experience level.

I'm actually in love with this trail! The intensity is awesome & the view is amazing! You have to stay focused on this hike though, it's definitely one that you can make one wrong mistake and be done....obviously if you are the climber type hiker this will be your go too, I promise. haha. Oh and make sure you wear some grip shoes, you will slide on these rocks while climbing if you're in typical running shoes. Also, I can not stress enough about the water situation. I always have a 64oz camel pack and a few extra water bottles in my backpack. That's just for me. You have to replace what you sweat.

It’s was a good hike but super crowded, even on a week day. No one wants to wait in line while bouldering. Other than that, great views at the top!

This trail is definitely challenging for new hikers and an overall awesome workout. When I lived closer, I used to hike this every morning during sunrise because the views were so beautiful as you ascend the mountain. I can typically finish the entire hike in about 1.5 hours or less going at a consistent walking pace. The last part of the hike (past where the emergency helicopters would be able to land) involves some scrambling and it can be easy to get lost if you are unsure of where to go. Be sure to look at the rocks for the navigational markings and pay attention to signs. Also, I see a ton of people attempt this hike with just a single water bottle but I definitely recommend bringing at least 1-2 liters depending upon the time of year you go. There is no parking lot and you instead parrallel park on the main road a little ways from the trailhead. It is easy to spot where you need to park though because there are some signs on the road that signal you where to go.

Challenging and beautiful. Harder coming down. Witnessed a rescue here today. So, watch your footing, and bring lots of water. We brought over a gallon and could have used more between two.

Busier trail which is expected in the city, but the view is great! Much more hike feel than the stairs over at Piestewa. Parking is a a pain and no facilities at trail head. I agree with others, moderate the first 2/3 of hike then more difficult. Wearing proper shoes and bringing more water than you think you need is just smart especially on this trail. Saw lots of people in slippery casual shoes with no grip having a harder time than need be and some with no water.

Absolute favorite trail ever. Went in the late afternoon and caught the sunset from the top. It gets crowded at times and the climb after the saddle point is extremely difficult (yet rewarding). The view from the top is unbeatable. This climb is not for the faint of the hard as their are some dicey climbing parts with no room for error. A hike I won't soon forget.

A great hike that turns into a great climb. A rewarding workout for the day. Definitely want to do Echo Canyon next!

It was crowded but one of my favorite hikes!

This is a great hike, don't believe anyone who says they turned back because there was too many people, they couldn't hack it. Plain and simple

It was tough to get to the top, but very rewarding! Halfway up trail, it basically turned into rock climbing versus hiking. The view at the top is incredible

Loved this trail! Best to get there early AM. I started at 7:30 AM on a Wednesday and ran into minimal people. I had tried this trail a couple of years back but left mid morning and it was too crowded to get to the top. The views and challenge are so worth it!! Can’t wait to do it again when I’m back or Spring Training again!

LOVED THIS HIKE, the scrambling at the top was a blast!! Go early as there is NO parking down Cholla lane, you must park on Invergordon Road and walk to trailhead. Also, if it’s going to be hot go early as well, 29 is hella hot to hike in and didn’t go as early as I should have, it took a toll on me but the views at the top were 100% worth it!

Really enjoyed this hike, great views from the top. Make sure if you're driving to go early so you don't have to walk as far from your parking spot. I can't imagine how crazy that walk would be on a weekend (I went on a weekday). Overall would say this one was a bit easier than Piestewa (incline wasn't as steep, but more scrambling near the top, which I don't mind). If I'm in town again I will definitely try the Echo Canyon trail!

Easy access. Relatively short. Amazing views. 5/5 in my book

Great trail - decent workout, perfect weather! Fun at the steep section near the top when coming up from the Cholla side.
Would have given 5 stars, except for the mile long walk from the parking to the trailhead and the excessive number of people on the trail - even on a Monday morning. No chance I would go on a weekend.

Great workout. Definitely not going to gym today after this one .

Great hike, but wear good shoes!

Always busy, but it's close.

One of my favorite hikes. Gorgeous views, right amount of length and a great workout.

After marker 26 it gets hard and scary.made it on top- what a view ❤️

Shoes with decent traction make this a much more enjoyable experience. The hike from wherever you'll end up parking is probably longer than the hike to the top!