Camelback Mountain Via Cholla Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Trailhead is on Cholla Lane. Parking available on Invergordon Street. Make sure to bring plenty of water.

Lots of people. Beautiful view!!

This trail is not for the faint of heart. Marker 27 after the Helipad was all I could do today. A good tip is to not attempt after leg day at the gym. Will be back!!!

A challenging rock scramble at the top, but definitely fulfills bragging rights when you safely return down...enjoy!

Went up echo trail and down this way! It wasn’t as well marked and less trafficked. At one point I was scaling a rock bc I thought it was part of a trail before someone saw and told me I was on the wrong part. Haha. I’d do it again, although I heard going up this trail is easier than going down.

Nice trail. Not for beginners.

Hard but worth it!!

Good workout and great views

Challenging but doable

Hard ass hike

Awesome view at the top... pictures don’t do justice! Make sure to bring plenty of water... no fill station at the beginning and entire trail in the sun!

Difficult and worth it! Come prepared with lots of water and hiking shoes/boots. I wore fitness clothes (running tights and a tanktop) but am so glad I opted for hiking shoes instead of my regular sneaks. They really helped for the rock scramble at the end, and for keeping grip the whole way down.

Definitely trickier than the Echo Canyon side & more walking at the bottom cause of parking situation.

This was a little more challenging towards the summit. Ready to go back for more.

My 1st real hike after moving here from the flatlands of FL. The last portion was a bit more challenging but definitely worth the work. Gorgeous view from the top

Great trail with amazing views of Scottsdale. Bit of a scramble at the end

The right kind of difficult. Make sure to bring plenty of water though, even if you start early.

Great hike with a beautiful view at the top. Challenging but worth it. Go early to avoid the heat and brings lots of water!

This used to be my go to hike/trail run but over the years it has become so congested that I have shifted to outside of the city. That being said, it’s a well worn trail with consistent elevation rise and the view at the top is hard to beat. It’s not for beginners and despite this, so many visitors go on this because of the easy access location . Be prepared because it tends to get frustrating for those that hike and run trails regularly. Go early as there is no shade from the sun and you will beat the crowds.

Fantastic challenging hike that leads to a great view at the top. Can get very hot during the day so it's best to go early and bring enough water

This trail was difficult but definitely worth the challenge! 2/3 of the way up is almost entirely comprised of boulders to climb so I would suggest wearing lighter and more flexible shoes, sturdy hiking boots are not necessary and will likely slow you down.

I do like this hike but would rather do echo.

Awesome hike. Well marked unless you're myself on the way down. Definitely for more experienced hikers or more driven people in general. Beautiful views of wildlife and the city.

This hike is super well marked and highly trafficked. I tried getting to the top twice but the part where you essentially have to rock-climb freaked me out a little so I turned around. If you have anxiety / fear of heights the ascent to the top may not be your jam - but you can always turn around before that (there’s a helicopter landing area which makes a nice turnaround) while still getting the amazing views.

Fun trail, great views, gets hot fast, go early.

great hike, go early and bring water

Great trail. Great challenge.

I really love this trail. Echo canyon is even more fun on the other side of Camelback Mountain.

Great views and a lot of bouldering! This made for some good exercise and a great father-daughter outing on Father’s Day. The trail is really well marked, even in places where a marker couldn’t be placed there was blue paint or reflectors directing you.

The reason I did not like this trail was because there were so many people (even in the heat of summer on a holiday, people who are native to Scottsdale use the trails for exercise). Yes, they’re respectful of the trail and are friendly, but I prefer trails with less activity. My personal opinion.

If you choose to do this trail in April-October go in the early morning or late evening. Be sure that you have great close-toed hiking shoes; going uphill is easy, but going downhill made me cringe. Steep ascent/descent. Also, be careful of bees near the top. If you’re allergic, I don’t suggest hiking all the way to the top. I got stung for the first time in my life and there were dozens of them. Finally, be sure to bring more water than you think you’ll need. We arrived as a bunch of ambulances and firetrucks did because a person had to be carried off of the mountain; he had heatstroke.

Pretty good view from either the first false peak before the scrambling begins or from the top if you decide to make the climb. The difficulty of this hike really should be adjusted especially due to the length the out and back aspect makes it quite easy and a huge amount of the scramble path is well marked by blue dots. In fact if you have good core strength it is entirely possible to do it hands free. For anyone who was curious like I was beforehand, this is only a class 2 hike.

Not a bad little hike for being in the middle of the city. Trail wasn't too crowded, only took 36 m in n to summit took my time coming down. Deffinently go early and beat the heat and bring water. I would not say this is a very hard hike, though the last little bit is a little technical.