Camelback Mountain Trail

Camelback Mountain Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. The two different routes to the 2,680ft summit offer different challenges, and both are featured in this guide. Echo Canyon is the popular route, which ascends 1,400 foot up the western side of the mountain in just over a mile. The journey quickly becomes a real leg-burner but delivers some good hiking experiences and a varied terrain. The Cholla trail heads up a well maintained trail on Camelback's east flank, but becomes a challenging and technical ascent upon reaching the ridgeline. This fun 1.3 mile route becomes increasingly rocky and precipitous, and though the conditions here are not extreme, we'd certainly urge caution and wouldn't recommend this route for young children or folk with a strong aversion to heights. Elevation gain: - Approx. 1,300ft (from 1,450 - 2,680ft)

15 seconds ago

Crowded

I was visiting family & we had gone here with my dog & we all liked it alot my dog made it to the top & back down to the car... Was told dogs not allowed but I live in CA. where we take our dog on all of our hikes so took our dog on this 1 as well...

This trail goes steeply upward from the trailhead to the top. The first half is relatively safe going, and seems family friendly. The second half is another story. The Hike to the top requires much rock scrambling up some moderately precarious terrain. I would suggest carrying ample water, and starting very early in the morning. As soon as the Arizona sun rises, this place is an oven. Do not venture from the trail! There are many injuries that occur regularly on this trail.

First trail down in AZ! Was a tiny bit harder than I envisioned, but I love a good challenge! I screwed up and didn't start the tracker until I was at the very top, then proceeded to not turn it off until I got to in-n-out to replace lots of burned calories

great view and nice workout!

Great trail. We got a kick out the Christmas tree at the summit during the holidays. Some amounts of human traffic clogging up the technical areas but as long as you have patience for them and assist when needed you can gain a friend that enjoys the outdoors just as much as you do.

A challenging hike during the April mid afternoon heat for us, but totally doable if you're willing to scramble up and across a lot of rocks. Would not recommend for kids under 10, just because the distance between rocks was sometimes as much as I could reach. We brought 27 oz of water and it was ok but wished we had more. Amazing views of Phoenix.

I had a blast with this trail. Got there at first light and watched the sun rise at the summit on a week day. If I do it again, that's how I'll do it. You'll need good shoes, water, and sunscreen. You'll use your hands, so pack some gloves just in case. I think poles will be in your way.