Camelback Mountain Trail

Camelback Mountain Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. The two different routes to the 2,680ft summit offer different challenges, and both are featured in this guide. Echo Canyon is the popular route, which ascends 1,400 foot up the western side of the mountain in just over a mile. The journey quickly becomes a real leg-burner but delivers some good hiking experiences and a varied terrain. The Cholla trail heads up a well maintained trail on Camelback's east flank, but becomes a challenging and technical ascent upon reaching the ridgeline. This fun 1.3 mile route becomes increasingly rocky and precipitous, and though the conditions here are not extreme, we'd certainly urge caution and wouldn't recommend this route for young children or folk with a strong aversion to heights. Elevation gain: - Approx. 1,300ft (from 1,450 - 2,680ft)

This hike is listed as an out and back, which I considered until I read a review entitled Stupid Move, "Don't Do It". So I decided to make it point to point starting on the Echo Canyon side believing the descent would be better down Cholla Trail. I already want to hike it again (as soon as the soreness leaves my legs). I would expect out and back to be brutal and dangerous for all but the most physically fit hikers. Be reaslistic about your level of fitness and ability before attempting Camelback out and back.

Great hike, certainly not a beginner trail. Tough and steep at times but worth the climb! Amazing views of the valley await at the top!

Parking is terrible. Arrive early bc this trail can get crowded. Great views at the top

Definitely challenging, but my kids, 13 and 9, and I loved it! This is not a neat dirt trail. Expect lots of rock climbing!

I would have giving it 5 stars but the parking is horrible.

parking is a chore, but worth it. 5 and 8 year old kiddos made it to the summit, only saw one other kiddo up there. took us about 4hrs, amazing!!

Incredibly crowded during weekends. Challenging,yet once at top it is well worth it. Make sure you have plenty of water.

I love how challenging and deceiving this mountain is! I believe there is two trails going up I hiked/climbed the echo canyon trail. Every time I felt like I was close to the peek it turned out not to be! Lol. Wear some good shoes because you'll be climbing rocks a lot of the time. The view is amazing! But the parking is pretty bad. There's only one parking lot for that trail and it's usually full. I normally walk about 10-15 mins from parking pretty far in front of someone's home, which isn't fun after that crazy hike!

This is a moderate trail... You Must be in average shape.. Depending on skill level expect 2-3hrs for completion...and longer during the summer.. Water is a necessity with all trails and this one is no different.... Come prepared to have fun and get a good workout