Calderwood Butte Trail

Calderwood Butte Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Peoria, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hidden little trail with great views in the middle of residential housing. A dedicated parking lot greats visitors from the East with about 16 parking spaces which is fine since this trail has very few hikers at any given time. The views of the NorthWest valley make this trail shine. It's a moderate loop which can be traveled in a little more than a half hour. The trail is well defined.

My four and a half year old and I did this trail together. Very rocky, make sure you have good shoes. No shade, so wear hats and sunscreen. Good trail!

Friday evening, sunset hike just on the outskirts of town. Had the trail to ourselves the whole hike, has lots of turns and inclines. Hung out at the top a while taking in the view of the canals and the farm's green grass and water reserves. Was really windy which was nice.

Brisk 20 minute ascent to the summit. Nice view and minimal foot traffic

This is an easy and family-friendly hike. The views are nice and it's a good, quick hike.

It’s a perfect little hike for the spur of the moment. We only live 15 minutes away.

Perfect afternoon hike with a good incline and great views. Fun to watch the balloons going up to the north/west.

Great views!!! Only about 1.5 miles!

A few different ways around the mountain, but a very enjoyable hike. According to my recording, the way I took was only 1.5 miles.

I enjoyed this trail. I believe it’s about 1.75 miles Long and it look me under and hour to hike. I wish there was small signage throughout though. I missed the trail head to come back down and realized that when I saw the benches for the second time.
The trail is narrow and people are very nice to step aside while others are passing. A few spots are very steep and there was one section on the back side where you have to scale rocks to get up to the trail. Fun little challenge.

Decent workout. Got the heart pumping. Very rocky and slippery at times.

first of all several of us ever agreed we think the trail is about 1.5 miles. Nice view. My spouse's maiden name was Calderwood so it has a little special meaning for us.

One of my favorite quick hiking trails in Peoria. It is hidden off the main road and oftentimes I have the whole mountain to myself. It is very short and the entire loop can be done in about 40 minutes if you don’t stop long at the top. Just enough elevation gain to get your heart pumping a bit. For runners, you need to use the offshoot trail about halfway up that branches to the right. That trail is flat the whole way and easy, the summit is rockier.

I went out to explore some more trails on my runs, and I don't think I'll return to this one as a runner. The elevation is good but the switchback are very short and frequent, impossible to get a good rhythm going. Trail conditions are fine, nothing worse or better than you'd expect in on an Arizona trail. I'd also tag this trail at about 1.5 miles, not just over 2 like it suggests.

This is an easily accessible trail with a decent incline to rate it as moderate. Beautiful views and not crowded at all for a holiday. For me, however, it's a one and done trail. This would be a great trail for families with children 8(ish) and older.

Great views. Nice loop.

Beautiful trail but I only measured 1.3 miles. Not exactly what I was planing on but still very pretty. Creosote bush and barrel cactus blooming.

Friday, April 14, 2017

I have hiked this mountain a lot and while it isn't hard I love it because I usually have the mountain all to myself. I enjoy watching the sunrise and imagine the sunsets would be great too. It can be more difficult if you jog it. Yes there is construction noise which is to be expected pretty much anywhere in the valley right now. You can't have everything. I think this trail is a hidden gem and I really hope it stays that way

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The needs to be rated easy. It's a quick hike to the top with the only minor incline challenge in the last 50-100 feet. Nice views of Four Peaks, Sierra Estrellas, and White Tanks. And plenty new home construction, traffic noise, and car alarms to add to your hike.