Cabin Loop Trail

Cabin Loop Trail is a 24 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Happy Jack, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 24.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,228 feet Route Type: Loop

bridge out

U-Bar Trail opened on 9/15/19 according to USDA website. We hiked counter-clockwise based on the comments of some more recent reviews. Since I did not walk clockwise, I cannot compare directly but I do appreciate their reviews and I am pleased we chose to take the advice to walk counter-clockwise. One note, there is a point at around mile 10ish counter-clockwise that the trail breaks off an old jeep trail. Someone placed a log "arrow" on the path to point the way; good idea. The rest of the trail is easy to navigate. The bridge being out is not a problem, but impressive to see the force of water that took place. Saw some deer, heard some elk late at night. Water available.

bridge out

U bar trail closed due to fire. Fred haught trail to pinot cabin closed due to road washed out.

We had the trail to ourselves and camped in Barbershop Canyon. We didn't see a soul the whole time. It was cool and breezy and shady and lovely. Highly recommend!

HARD, NOT MODERATE!!! NOT FOR NEWBIES. Absolutely gorgeous though. Had an amazing three days, two nights, backpacking trip. HIGHLY RECOMMEND for those who know how to hike at 7,500 ft and still put in miles.

Not for the fainted hearted. Extremely meditative...I suggest night hiking because the night sky is extremely lit up.

bridge out

This was a fun trail and we only saw a few people when we did it Memorial Day weekend. There are several water sources and flat campsites some with pre-existing fire rings. We saw a few elk and birds but no other animals. The road is washed out at mile 18 (going counter clockwise) but it’s a pretty simple work around just very steep.

bridge out

Great hike! Went clockwise. Started at General Springs Trail. The bridge is washed out and says closed. We just went over the edge to the right, across the creek and back up the right side. Not a problem. The trail is 24 miles, however, you still have to walk 4.5 miles to get back to your vehicle making the total loop 28.5. Doing only 11 miles the first day it made day 2 a long 17.5 mile day. There was plenty of areas to gather water. Very pretty with lots of trees and meadows. Saw no animals. If we were to do it again we would go counter clockwise and get the up and down mountains out of the way on day one. 1st day do 14 miles or stay 1 extra night and make it a 3 day, 2 night hike.

Overall good hike. Aspen Springs was a really nice camp out. The FR300 portion was a little rough being in direct sunlight. The road was washed out at Fred Haught. You can see on my recording I went back and forth just to see if we could do it before the whole group committed. Lots of good water spots to refill during this time of year. Still some snow (ice) patches. I’d recommend using your phone GPS if possible.

bridge out

Day 1 of cabin loop. U-bar trail was the best. Canyon on east side, below broken down cabin with natural spring has best camp site

Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Excellent trail! A fairly easy one to bring first-time backpackers on. I was surprised we had issues with coyotes in the area. They usually keep to themselves but there were three that were testing us the whole night, walking through our campsite and later in the early morning, we had one yelling outside our tent.

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Did the whole 21 miles. There are several maps on Alltrails with portions of this trail, use those. This map will try to take you in the forest when you should be on a road. Speaking of roads, this hike consists of too many. I don't want to hike to places very easily accessible by car.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Hiked this one last year fantastically beautiful scenery! Spread out enough so it’s not too hard

Friday, December 29, 2017

The trail is nice, one of my favorite places to do a one nighter and backpack through the trees. I have only done the western half, which is nice to start at General Springs and go clockwise. The general crook/rim road portion is brutally boring, and even more miserable going counter clockwise. Also, a word of caution, you cross several dry creek beds and washes, however if it rains heavily, they will turn into rivers, and are uncrossable. No danger of a flash flood sweeping you away. But I did get stranded for an extra night bc the water cut me off. I knew it was going to rain and had gear, just wasn’t anticipating getting stuck. And I’m not exaggerating, the creek beds got deeper than waist height, and we’re flowing close to 10mph, I tried crossing y several points but between hidden boulders and trees below the water, and the current, it was pulling me over before I got even a third of the way across. So, double check the weather report.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Great trail I was going to do the whole thing but decided to cut it in half by taking Houston brothers. Awesome trail, a little depressing seeing all the burnt trees.

Monday, May 29, 2017

My husband and I started out to do the cabin loop trail but ended up cutting through at Pinchot. So glad we did. It was truly beautiful at aspen springs. We did make it to lower barbershop canyon and set up camp there in the meadow along the spring. Simply gorgeous through there as well. On our way back to general crook cabin we weren't able to stay on the trail as it was barely visible so we just walked along the road on rim road which was nice to see the overlook of the canyons. Nice weekend trip, spent 2 nights and 3 days here. Plenty of brooks, springs or creeks to get your water bladders filled up.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

My husband and I did a two day/one night backpacking trip in early May and hiked the Cabin Loop Trail. This "Loop" is actually a series of 5 trails that lead to some beautiful meadows and canyons as well as the historic forest service cabins. We started at General Springs Cabin and headed North on the Fred Haught Trail. This is a great trail for backpacking, however it is not well marked in many areas and you can easily wander off trail if you don't look out for trail blazes, rock cairns, etc. Pro's: Many water sources along the way, nice scenery Con's: 4.5 mile road walk as part of the last leg of the trail; trail is not well marked on many sections

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Would have been a beautiful, peaceful, secluded backpacking adventure if not for 2 unexpected things. I am used to the elevation down in the valley. So my mother and I hop around the mountains here without much difficulty. We can hike a good 13 miles in a morning with no problem. So we planned to do the whole loop in a weekend. We figured out pretty early on that wasn’t happening. Totally different world up here. I’ve never had issues before, but had only ever done day hikes at this elevation. Felt great the first few miles. Started at General Springs and made our way to Pinchot. By mile 6, my lungs burned. I’m pretty sure I got a mild form of altitude sickness. Couldn’t drink water most of the day because I was nauseous. Dizzy. Great times! By the time I realized I wasn’t feeling well, we were already pretty far back. So we camped not far from the Pinchot cabin along the Houston Brothers trail (it’s the one that runs right down the middle of this loop) with plans to hike back down the next day after I recovered. There were no really good camping spots near the trail. Camp in the little meadow by Pinchot or hike off trail out of the canyon to a flat spot. But the most interesting part was next morning when we ditched the trail system altogether, moving up to road 139A (runs parallel to the Houston Brothers Trail.) We figured a flat road would be easier for me to deal with than a trail that had several ups and downs to go. Even that morning, after waking up feeling much better, any moment I would get out of breath would make me feel sick again. So 2 hours or so on this road, there was no car or camper in sight. The last person we saw at this point was miles back and that was about 14 hours ago. So as my mother and I hobbled our way down the road…out from the woods darts a HUGE bear. We WERE walking near “Bear Canyon” according to the map…so that was probably a hint. But we still never expected to see one. In all my adventures, I’ve never seen one out here. He didn’t pay much attention to us, but we could not tell where he went once he left the road…and we had to walk next to the section of forest he just ran into. We stayed put for a minute, made some noise in case he was still hanging around(thinking it would scare him off) then made our way down the road. We read all the “what to do”s online about bears and mountain lions. But until you are 50 ft away from a bear bigger than you thought they got in AZ, it’s hard to explain what goes through your brain. Even though we didn’t hear or see anything, I checked around us the whole way back. Now that we are out of the situation, it’s kinda cool that we saw him. He seemed fat and healthy and was super-fast and quiet. It was like he appeared on the road then just vanished. So we’ve named him Gordo the Ghost Bear. And yes, that is an important part of this review. Eventually made it back to the truck, feeling like this was the first trail in a long time that kicked our backsides. Probably wouldn’t have been as bad if I felt better, but I still think the full loop would have been too much for us. Pros: Beautiful, good leg workout, you can cut the loop in half by taking Houston Brothers trail, lots of water along the way (if you happen to run out), not a lot of people, bears Cons: Not good if elevation makes you sick, long, not a lot of people, bears.