Butterfly Trail via Crystal Spring Trail

Butterfly Trail via Crystal Spring Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Lemmon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bajas muchísimo y así como lo bajas lo tienes que volver a subir. El regreso es intenso. Un buen ejercicio

Nice trail with great views. The trail was dusty. I got home with very dirty feet, not a complaint though, just a heads up. We went a little further than the plane crash and came back. 6 miles total. The ascent on the way back is a good leg workout. Pretty decent coverage from the sun too.

beautiful!

Hiked this trail recently for my birthday. The weather is always fantastic on Mt. Lemmon this time a year and it was awesome to escape the heat. While this trail might be awesome for some, I wasn’t a huge fan. I don’t like trails that descend on the way out and ascend on the way back. Really wears me out! I may choose to do this trail from the trailhead on the other side so I can go UP first before I go down!

Great Hike

Nice but not a lot of great views. There was a great campsite less than a mile into the trail (north trailhead). A side-trail led up to Butterfly Peak. Otherwise, not too exciting. A lot of shade as it's a northern exposure. I only went 2 miles in then turned around.

Absolutely beautiful hike. The plane crash was awesome and found a waterfall, not sure if this is normal or if it was because of the rain in the last two days but didn't see any mention of it in the description. Just remember when you are going down that you have to come back up - coming out was a killer.

Beautiful, quick pace going down but back up is serious cardio.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Great trail,, not a hard just going down and back up is some areas. Great views,, saw my first rattle snake.. aaaaand we turn around from that point since the trail was covered with ferns ahead of that and didn't want to take the chance of stepping on a snake!! crazy!!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Love this trail! There is an abandoned airplane a decent way in and a cute spring. Great to bring your dog on too.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Really loved this hike. We took our two kids and our dog. It was just a little steep but it was a gorgeous hike.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

took my mother in law in a family trip. beautiful mountain, and if you drive to the top there is a town with some gift shops.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Beautiful views the whole way. Steep-ish trail down. Remember on the way down, you must go back up.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Good work out, up and down

Monday, May 30, 2016

Took this trail again, without our kids this time. Went much further. couldnt tell you the distance as i don't use a pedometer, but going at a steady pace, after about an hour and a half, the ferns are tall, bright and thick. While the trail was still visible, I got nervous about bugs or animals hanging out in them, (seriously, they grew high enough to lose a 3 yr old in them and encroached over the path ), and we turned around. Turned out to be a good turning point, because the uphill trek back is more challenging than the mostly downward way in. Very lovely though. I'd say its moderate in difficulty as there are rocks and roots to step over. the path narrows out for the most part so it allows for single file hiking. Couldn't imagine biking it. It winds along side of the Mt for the first hour with a some what steep, but not terribley so incline to the side, then widens, but at that point the path is sort of lined out with fallen trees. Shortly after that, you come to the ferns. Alright for bigger kids who can take adult directions. Very well trodden. Had one of the more full parking lots on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Trail is rated moderate; fair rating not because it's technical but because there are a lot of slopes that just continue to go up and because of the elevation, it can be wearing.

Friday, July 24, 2015

This is a nice shady trail with great valley views. A good one for hot days to get out of the sun. My husband had our toddler strapped to his back in a carrier and I held my 5 year olds hand as it was a bit rugged at times and there is a bit of an incline on the side. I definitely had to give her some direction on how to step on roots and wobbly rocks, but she was enjoying the woodsiness of the trail. So, I wouldn't say it was completely undoable with kids, however there came a point where the trail got rather narrow from erosion and there was a bit of a steep drop and we chose to turn around. If it was just us, we would have continued no problem. Round trip, we still got a couple hours of hiking in, so still worth it.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Beautiful hike. this time of year with all the rain, lots of flowers and water

Saturday, May 24, 2014

We just got back from this trail, took our 9 year old son and our dog and had a great time. We only went in a little over 3 miles and the return back up had us breathing a little. Amazing views of San Pedro Valley.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Cool breezes while Tucson was 100 degrees, we hiked in from the Mount Bigelow Trail, after a 1/2 mile the trail dives sharply. Also hiked the trail from the other end at miles 24. Nice trail and a good climb. Nice views of the Galiuro Mountains and the San Pedro River Valley.

Sunday, July 07, 2013

We headed up to Mt Lemmon to escape the July heat and were pleasantly surprised with this trail. While we didn't complete the entire 13 miles, we had an enjoyable few hours and were treated to some striking views. While we didn't find the trail overly difficult, it would be difficult for a family with younger children.