Butterfly Trail via Crystal Spring Trail

Butterfly Trail via Crystal Spring Trail is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Lemmon, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Love this trail! There is an abandoned airplane a decent way in and a cute spring. Great to bring your dog on too.

Really loved this hike. We took our two kids and our dog. It was just a little steep but it was a gorgeous hike.

took my mother in law in a family trip. beautiful mountain, and if you drive to the top there is a town with some gift shops.

Beautiful views the whole way. Steep-ish trail down. Remember on the way down, you must go back up.

Good work out, up and down

Monday, May 30, 2016

Took this trail again, without our kids this time. Went much further. couldnt tell you the distance as i don't use a pedometer, but going at a steady pace, after about an hour and a half, the ferns are tall, bright and thick. While the trail was still visible, I got nervous about bugs or animals hanging out in them, (seriously, they grew high enough to lose a 3 yr old in them and encroached over the path ), and we turned around. Turned out to be a good turning point, because the uphill trek back is more challenging than the mostly downward way in. Very lovely though. I'd say its moderate in difficulty as there are rocks and roots to step over. the path narrows out for the most part so it allows for single file hiking. Couldn't imagine biking it. It winds along side of the Mt for the first hour with a some what steep, but not terribley so incline to the side, then widens, but at that point the path is sort of lined out with fallen trees. Shortly after that, you come to the ferns. Alright for bigger kids who can take adult directions. Very well trodden. Had one of the more full parking lots on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Trail is rated moderate; fair rating not because it's technical but because there are a lot of slopes that just continue to go up and because of the elevation, it can be wearing.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Friday, August 14, 2015

Friday, July 24, 2015

This is a nice shady trail with great valley views. A good one for hot days to get out of the sun. My husband had our toddler strapped to his back in a carrier and I held my 5 year olds hand as it was a bit rugged at times and there is a bit of an incline on the side. I definitely had to give her some direction on how to step on roots and wobbly rocks, but she was enjoying the woodsiness of the trail. So, I wouldn't say it was completely undoable with kids, however there came a point where the trail got rather narrow from erosion and there was a bit of a steep drop and we chose to turn around. If it was just us, we would have continued no problem. Round trip, we still got a couple hours of hiking in, so still worth it.