Butterfield Stage Route

Butterfield Stage Route is a 25.5 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Gila Bend, Arizona and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

scenic driving

great hike to enjoy nature

off road driving

Sadly still closed, but rumours abound that work may take place to open it again.

off road driving

Closed to OHV's, gated and posted.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

great

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Excellent experience. Nice flat hike. No cars, no other hiker - absolutely nobody. The only thing I heard were some birds and my foot steps. Great for desert/wilderness photography. Will visit again.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Same route as Butterfield Trail Route. It has been closed since 2008 but I understand that a serious effort is being made to re-open the route soon. I have driven a short section of this route before determining learning that is was closed. This route is mostly flat two track roads, but, it's historical value far exceeds the scenery or 4x4ing. Butterfield Stage Route runs thru terrain where I grew up in Texas. This is one of the few sections with potential public access by 4x4.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

I understand that an effort is being made to get it opened soon. By Arizona OHV Assn, off top of my head so don't hold me to that

Monday, December 05, 2011

Even though the sign was written in 2008 that says the trail will be closed for 2 to 3 years for Off Road Driving the trails are still closed today. 12/04/2011