Butcher Jones Trail

Butcher Jones Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 541 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

$12 Tonto National Forest daily pass required. The trail has great views of Saguaro Lake.

We loved this hike! Definitely easier than most moderate hikes we do, so don’t let that put you off. It’s pretty gradual the entire time. The views are amazing and for most of the hike you’re walking alongside the lake and you can hear the water crashing. A portion of the hike is in open desert too. Truly a spectacular all-in-one hike to showcase my favorite scenery in AZ. Can’t recommend it enough.

Great views all through the trail!! Loved the four peaks view!!

Pretty crowded on a narrow trail at some points. It thinned out as you went further up. The views are beautiful, trail well maintained making it a perfect day on this trail!

Beautiful views! I would say it’s more easy than moderate.

Beautiful

ohv/off road driving

Great views of Four Peaks and Saguaro Lake! Rocky and narrow in some spots, also somewhat crowded, but I would still recommend checking it out!

Great trail with scenic views. Looking across a lake adds to the beauty.

fee

Amazing hike! Easy out and back. We read that the trail can get busy so we arrived around 815 AM on a weekday. The trail was almost empty so it was perfectly peaceful with great views. I imagine it would be a lot of passing people/standing to the side on a busy day. Easy to follow, not too strenuous at all.

Easy out and back, with mild uphill at end.

nice and easy out ant back. the veiws are amazing. I recommend going on the burro cove spur as well. it's a short detour with a killer view!

fee

Trail is AMAZING! Pictures came out beautiful. Great hike!

This was a beautiful hike. I would recommend getting there early. We arrived at 9 and there were a couple of people there but coming back there was a lot of people and a little too congested for me. I also wouldn’t say this is a moderate hike. I would say it’s more easy than moderate but that’s just my opinion.

Great trail, but it's extremely busy and narrow. we spent more time passing people and pulling over for others to pass.

Beautiful view of Four Peaks! We decided to take the fork to Burro Cove instead of going straight down to the water, much quieter! As other have said, $12 parking fee, $8 if you get it in town before.

Well marked trail - easy up and downs. Today it was epic to see the snow caps on Four Peaks. Wow!!

this was breath taking! amazing! so beautiful to see the lake and the forest and cacti all in one area. lots of ducks and boats on the lake. I will say that the pat for this hike is narrow. lots of stepping aside a d letting people by. we tapped out after only a few miles and didn't make it to the end, but it was worth it. you can camp here too I believe, definitely will be back

fee

Stark scenes in the persistent rain. Felt like a tropical forest with the deepness of the green.

Another amazing Tonto National Forest trail. Make sure to have the tonto pass here, and bring a snack and water. Gorgeous trail and beautiful views of the Sonoran desert and Lake Saguaro. Watch for the quartz formations, bald eagles, and big horn sheep. You will also likely spot some water fowl around the lake shore as you hike.

beautiful hike. it's a must do!

fee

Views the entire time. Everyone needs to do this trail.

Nice easy hike. Nice scenery around lake. Great hike with kids or family's

Hiked the trail today with 21 others. I would rate it in my top two trails. It was very scenic of Saguaro Lake.

Easy 5 mile out and back hike with outstanding views of Saguaro Lake and the 4 Peaks

fee

Requires a US National Forest pass. Great Lake views. Recommend hiking during the fall through spring months. Weekends tend to be a bit busy.

ohv/off road driving

There were several stock jeeps as well as a gladiator truck in our group. Only a couple of places where a good spotter and the right lines mattered for the main trail. There are much harder obstacles for more modified vehicles. I’d put this one on the easier side of things. Just sandy and bumpy. Definitely coming back