Butcher Jones Trail

Butcher Jones Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

Saguaro Lake view Hike

This trail was awesome with great views of the lake as well as the surrounding mountains. There are many photo opportunities for those who are into it. My wife and I really enjoyed this trail!

Not an easy outing navigating the rocky inclines and hordes of other hikers.

This is becoming one of my favorite hikes in the area. The trail has many picturesque points. It is on the easy side of moderate and great for the young hikers as the trails grade is easy with the exception of one wash crossing late in the trail. The first quarter is hard on the feet as the trail has a lot of jagged rock so be prepared to wear appropriate shows. The trail is narrow in many spots. It has a lot of diversity in vegetation which adds to the enjoyment. At the trailhead immediately after the signage the trail appears to split. Take the left fork as the right is only a false path. At the end the trail splits again with 2 forks about 1/4 mile long. One goes out to a point for great lake and mtn views. The other crosses over a ridge down the water's edge. Both are dead ends. A little over half way there is a trail that leads down to the water and a small shoreline campsite. Great spot for lunch or a snack break.

One of the more scenic hikes I've done in the Phoenix area. Started around noon on a cool Tuesday (temp in upper 50s). The first half of the 'out' portion was crowded, meaning I encountered about a dozen people. The hike across the desert to Burro Cove was worth it, and I only saw three other people on this portion. Returned to the trail head to find wild horses in the parking area.

If you arrive without a pass in hand, you can purchase one at an auto-pay station near the Marina a couple of miles down the road. You don't need to drive 11 miles back to the gas station on Fort McDowell Road as the sign suggests.

My favorite hike in Az. The America the beautiful annual pass is accepted here.

-pretty scenic...
-not too difficult;
-a little crowded on a Sunday, but weather was perfect so a lot of people were out.
-would definitely hike this trail again.

Very nice trail

Cool little hike with great water views

saw eagle and wild horses

The scenery is beautiful!

Beautiful views of Saguaro Lake for a large portion of the trail. Some moderate up and downhill in the first section, the second section is more flat away from the water and was much warmer. Bring a lot of water on a warmer day.

A pretty easy hike and absolutely gorgeous. There were a bunch of wild horses at the trailhead too! The best views come halfway through the hike, when you’re looking out over these beautiful coves and there’s this sheer rock wall all the across the lake. There’s an optional trail to the right that goes all the way down to the water that I highly recommend making a detour for, excellent for a mid hike swim. I’ll definitely be back, and bringing a bathing suit this time.

I hiked this today and it was a beautiful hike. I’m 58 and not in the greatest shape, but I made it the whole way. We started at about 9am and I would suggest starting early, as it got kind of warm on the way back. I got a little winded on the uphill parts, but I just stopped frequently and drank lots of water. The scenery was amazing! At the turnaround point, there was an amazing view of fishing boats and fishermen, as well as Four Peaks in the background. I highly recommend this hike, and plan on returning myself. You can buy a parking pass for $8 at most Circle K’s in the east valley, and they also sell them at the Saguaro Lake Marina, but I think they charge $12 for them there.

Easy serene and beautiful

A moderate hiker may consider this easy. The whole hike is very scenic...especially if your feeling land locked here in AZ...lol

I prefer to go early morning. The trail can become very busy mid morning.

We had a wonderful hike. I’d suggest going early in the day as the trail was quite busy in the late morning.

First time to this trail. Great hike. Very scenic, a few nice shaded portions and today there was a great breeze. I think next time I will start earlier, it got a bit more crowded as the afternoon approached.