Butcher Jones Trail

Butcher Jones Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

Saguaro Lake view Hike

Awesome trail. I rate easy trail with moderate elevation.. Bonus we seen the wild horses on the end of our hike playing in the lake.

off road driving

Best place to get some Arizona pin stripes on your truck.

Picturesque in sections. Good diversity in landscape. Powerboats can be noisy. Wild horses at the trailhead were a highlight.

One of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done. It's moderate, fairly easy in spots, with amazing views of the lake the entire time. It can be narrow in spots, but everyone was friendly in letting our group by. Lots of places for taking a dip or enjoying a picnic. We ended up hiking just over 7 miles without even realizing it! Make sure you buy your Tonto pass before you get there!

One of the great benefits to hiking Butcher Jones is you get to hike alongside Saguaro Lake, me and my friends arrived at the trailhead around 10AM and it wasn't too hot, just enough of a breeze to make it enjoyable. It's a lightly trafficked trail, perhaps it was because we went during the week. There were certain parts of the trail where we did get bottlenecked behind large groups of people, so if you're a fast hiker definitely try to get ahead of those big groups to avoid getting behind the pack. The trail has a light elevation gain, so it's a good trail to get your hiking legs back under you. Definitely worth the hike especially if you like looking at lakeside views.

Easy and nice trail has beautiful views.

Absolutely beautiful! Perfect spring day to hike this trail- water felt cool and refreshing too

Great trail and so beautiful

A big group of us all took our dogs and we had a wonderful time on this trail. It’s not difficult and I would personally rank it as easy as opposed to moderate. You also get a nice view of the lake the entire hike which is where we stopped to eat lunch. At times, the trail is very narrow with cacti everywhere so I would recommend wearing long pants or being extra cautious in those areas.

My wife and I took our four boys (12,9,6,5) today, and it was a great experience. A lot of people along the way, but not enough to feel crowded. Clean trail. The climb aspect of it wasn’t too difficult at all, but a little rocky at some points. Usually we have tears, whining, and scrapped knees, but it was pleasant, and not too difficult for anyone.

We loved hiking along Saguaro Lake. We did 3 1/2 miles total or so in 1 1/2 hours with lots of stops for pictures and visiting with other hikers and a snack. We turned back before the end because many people saw a rattlesnake and I was afraid I'd scream. I've never seen one. Next time we'll bring chairs for after to dip our feet in the lake. We got our pass at a gas station before we got here. There's a list online of who carries them. We forgot the hiking stick and see many people had them. Trail had lots of hikers on a Monday morning but I like having hikers to help each other like at the beginning you get to a fence, and someone said go through, it's to keep horses out.

This was a fantastic family hike! I did it with my 3&6 year old along with a friend and her 2&4 year olds. We went about half way and back and enjoyed a dip in the lack afterwards! The trail offers exciting corners of lake feels, lake views almost the whole way, small rock challenges, and tree canopy spots. We loved it!

Great hike with a spectacular view. Must check it out if in Mesa.

Amazing views

This trail rewards you! Absolutely a must do
Trail is narrow. Have to watch for areas of large sharp rocks and thorny vegetation. You will get a very good cardio workout. One of the prettiest trails around
Went out at noon on a Monday. Lots of traffic in first mile but eventually was alone

Great hike with gorgeous views. Trail is pretty narrow in some areas which can result in a back up of people. Make sure to stop at the Saguaro marina to get your day pass. The sign at the parking lot tells you to go all the way to Fort McDowell Casino.

Nice Trail. It has a variety of scenery with saguaro lake. Dog friendly. Purchase a Tonto Day pass BEFORE you get there. They don't sell them on site.

This trail was awesome with great views of the lake as well as the surrounding mountains. There are many photo opportunities for those who are into it. My wife and I really enjoyed this trail!

Not an easy outing navigating the rocky inclines and hordes of other hikers.

This is becoming one of my favorite hikes in the area. The trail has many picturesque points. It is on the easy side of moderate and great for the young hikers as the trails grade is easy with the exception of one wash crossing late in the trail. The first quarter is hard on the feet as the trail has a lot of jagged rock so be prepared to wear appropriate shows. The trail is narrow in many spots. It has a lot of diversity in vegetation which adds to the enjoyment. At the trailhead immediately after the signage the trail appears to split. Take the left fork as the right is only a false path. At the end the trail splits again with 2 forks about 1/4 mile long. One goes out to a point for great lake and mtn views. The other crosses over a ridge down the water's edge. Both are dead ends. A little over half way there is a trail that leads down to the water and a small shoreline campsite. Great spot for lunch or a snack break.

One of the more scenic hikes I've done in the Phoenix area. Started around noon on a cool Tuesday (temp in upper 50s). The first half of the 'out' portion was crowded, meaning I encountered about a dozen people. The hike across the desert to Burro Cove was worth it, and I only saw three other people on this portion. Returned to the trail head to find wild horses in the parking area.

If you arrive without a pass in hand, you can purchase one at an auto-pay station near the Marina a couple of miles down the road. You don't need to drive 11 miles back to the gas station on Fort McDowell Road as the sign suggests.

My favorite hike in Az. The America the beautiful annual pass is accepted here.

-pretty scenic...
-not too difficult;
-a little crowded on a Sunday, but weather was perfect so a lot of people were out.
-would definitely hike this trail again.

Very nice trail

Cool little hike with great water views

saw eagle and wild horses

The scenery is beautiful!

Beautiful views of Saguaro Lake for a large portion of the trail. Some moderate up and downhill in the first section, the second section is more flat away from the water and was much warmer. Bring a lot of water on a warmer day.

A pretty easy hike and absolutely gorgeous. There were a bunch of wild horses at the trailhead too! The best views come halfway through the hike, when you’re looking out over these beautiful coves and there’s this sheer rock wall all the across the lake. There’s an optional trail to the right that goes all the way down to the water that I highly recommend making a detour for, excellent for a mid hike swim. I’ll definitely be back, and bringing a bathing suit this time.