Butcher Jones Trail

Butcher Jones Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

Saguaro Lake view Hike

10 minutes ago

I wanted so much to love this trail. It has water, great birds, horses, cool plants, and is pretty unique among places I've been in Arizona.

There was trash everywhere. I just wanted one spot on the hike where my partner and I could sit for 15 minutes overlooking the water without an empty beer can within 20 feet. Couldn't find one.

If Arizona cleans this area up, it becomes an easy 5 stars.

This hike is absolutely beautiful! You really get to experience a little bit of everything this desert has to offer. The views are fantastic and the hike easy, so even with the 100+ degree temperatures it was pleasant. Tips- Pack lots of water, be mindful of snakes!

One of the most surreal moments of the trip was to arrive at the trailhead (sunrise) to witness the beauty of the Salt River wild horses. Amazing. The hike is beautiful with incredible views. Be cautious as the trail is quite narrow and steep at times. The narrow part can create an issue with rattle snake encounters... as we experienced on this hike. We expect to run into all sorts of wildlife during these hikes but did get ourselves into a pickle on the trail. Our issue was upon our return to the trailhead where we encountered a coiled rattler in a covered brush area near the shore. It’s beautiful in this small patch of area but you only have one way to pass through. There is no where to climb up or around in certain areas so if your trail is blocked, it may pose additional impediments. Just be cautious and aware of your surroundings on this trail. I suggest a walking stick of sorts.

Fun short trail. Not difficult at all.

I’ve done this hike numerous times and it’s always a good time. BUT! Note to self - do not go on Memorial Day Weekend - what is usually a very quiet and peaceful hike is nothing but boats, jet skis and loud music.

This was my second official hike and it was amazing! Encountered a rattlesnake but other than that the view was beautiful.

fun place to use your 4x4 desert hills,water what ever you want to do, you can do it. alot of views and every now and then you will see a Lincoln Town car out there crazy.

Would rate this trail easy. Extremely beautiful. We encountered three rattlesnakes!

We went early to avoid heat and foot traffic. The beginning of the hike was in shade which was nice. Hiked to shoreline access which it really wasn't and path gets tight. Either go to Burro or stop at campers cove and return. Path gets busy after 10 am. The views are nice of the lake. Met a few rattlesnakes sunning themselves to boot.

Fun, beautiful, water to cool down by or in, lots of twists and ups & downs. Be sure to bring lots of water. We gave a couple bottles up to people that were struggling.

It was fun. Yesterday my friend and I really enjoy it a lot. Like the below say there’s narrow trail a lot cactus by the trail but you can walk thru just to be careful. There is couple climbs I was nervous about but friend of mine help me guide. Not too bad tho. Just my balance was not too well I will definitely come back. Perfect weather tho 80s. There’s shade where you get surrounded with tree it’s beautiful

Love it, beautiful view.

Awesome trail. I rate easy trail with moderate elevation.. Bonus we seen the wild horses on the end of our hike playing in the lake.

One of the prettiest early morning hikes we’ve done.
Get there before the city folk get there and ruin it.

off road driving

Best place to get some Arizona pin stripes on your truck.

Picturesque in sections. Good diversity in landscape. Powerboats can be noisy. Wild horses at the trailhead were a highlight.

One of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done. It's moderate, fairly easy in spots, with amazing views of the lake the entire time. It can be narrow in spots, but everyone was friendly in letting our group by. Lots of places for taking a dip or enjoying a picnic. We ended up hiking just over 7 miles without even realizing it! Make sure you buy your Tonto pass before you get there!

One of the great benefits to hiking Butcher Jones is you get to hike alongside Saguaro Lake, me and my friends arrived at the trailhead around 10AM and it wasn't too hot, just enough of a breeze to make it enjoyable. It's a lightly trafficked trail, perhaps it was because we went during the week. There were certain parts of the trail where we did get bottlenecked behind large groups of people, so if you're a fast hiker definitely try to get ahead of those big groups to avoid getting behind the pack. The trail has a light elevation gain, so it's a good trail to get your hiking legs back under you. Definitely worth the hike especially if you like looking at lakeside views.

Easy and nice trail has beautiful views.

This was an amazing little gem of a hike right outside the Valley! We brought our small dog and had a wonderful time enjoying the views. We went the whole route and felt the very end of the trail was not as beautiful as some of the other views we saw on our way. This would be a great location to spend the whole day and kayak, swim, or have a picnic after you finish the hike. We felt like it was very worth the $8.00 price tag.

Absolutely beautiful! Perfect spring day to hike this trail- water felt cool and refreshing too

Great trail and so beautiful

A big group of us all took our dogs and we had a wonderful time on this trail. It’s not difficult and I would personally rank it as easy as opposed to moderate. You also get a nice view of the lake the entire hike which is where we stopped to eat lunch. At times, the trail is very narrow with cacti everywhere so I would recommend wearing long pants or being extra cautious in those areas.

My wife and I took our four boys (12,9,6,5) today, and it was a great experience. A lot of people along the way, but not enough to feel crowded. Clean trail. The climb aspect of it wasn’t too difficult at all, but a little rocky at some points. Usually we have tears, whining, and scrapped knees, but it was pleasant, and not too difficult for anyone.

We loved hiking along Saguaro Lake. We did 3 1/2 miles total or so in 1 1/2 hours with lots of stops for pictures and visiting with other hikers and a snack. We turned back before the end because many people saw a rattlesnake and I was afraid I'd scream. I've never seen one. Next time we'll bring chairs for after to dip our feet in the lake. We got our pass at a gas station before we got here. There's a list online of who carries them. We forgot the hiking stick and see many people had them. Trail had lots of hikers on a Monday morning but I like having hikers to help each other like at the beginning you get to a fence, and someone said go through, it's to keep horses out.

This was a fantastic family hike! I did it with my 3&6 year old along with a friend and her 2&4 year olds. We went about half way and back and enjoyed a dip in the lack afterwards! The trail offers exciting corners of lake feels, lake views almost the whole way, small rock challenges, and tree canopy spots. We loved it!

Great hike with a spectacular view. Must check it out if in Mesa.

Amazing views

This trail rewards you! Absolutely a must do
Trail is narrow. Have to watch for areas of large sharp rocks and thorny vegetation. You will get a very good cardio workout. One of the prettiest trails around
Went out at noon on a Monday. Lots of traffic in first mile but eventually was alone

Great hike with gorgeous views. Trail is pretty narrow in some areas which can result in a back up of people. Make sure to stop at the Saguaro marina to get your day pass. The sign at the parking lot tells you to go all the way to Fort McDowell Casino.