Butcher Jones Trail

Butcher Jones Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1981 feet

The Day Pass for Tonto National Forest is $8 and needs to be purchased ahead of time. One location that has the passes for sale is the Chevron gas station at the intersection of 87 and McDowell Street.

Loved it.

A nice easy hike. Nothing strenuous. Lots of beautiful scenery. We saw a bald eagle, lots of lizards and literally everything was in bloom! Good hike for kids. My seven year old did well. There is certainly a point where the trail gets far more primitive about 2/3 of the way. I had to triple check we were still on the right trail. Go early it gets busy with kayakers, paddleboarders and of course hikers!

You have to pay for parking and it gets crowded. The hike is well worth it though. Saguaro Lake is insight almost the whole time. I love coming here in the spring time

Did this yesterday. Set out around 8 am. Had great cloud cover and a nice breeze all the way in. Sun came out and I was glad I had my hat. Beautiful views all around. Plenty of wildflowers in bloom. Not too difficult. Start early and bring a hat! Don't forget your Tonto pass. Also, parking was crowded when we left at 11.