Butcher Jones Trail

Butcher Jones Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

The Day Pass for Tonto National Forest is $8 and needs to be purchased ahead of time. One location that has the passes for sale is the Chevron gas station at the intersection of 87 and McDowell Street.

Cool little hike with great water views

saw eagle and wild horses

The scenery is beautiful!

Beautiful views of Saguaro Lake for a large portion of the trail. Some moderate up and downhill in the first section, the second section is more flat away from the water and was much warmer. Bring a lot of water on a warmer day.

A pretty easy hike and absolutely gorgeous. There were a bunch of wild horses at the trailhead too! The best views come halfway through the hike, when you’re looking out over these beautiful coves and there’s this sheer rock wall all the across the lake. There’s an optional trail to the right that goes all the way down to the water that I highly recommend making a detour for, excellent for a mid hike swim. I’ll definitely be back, and bringing a bathing suit this time.

I hiked this today and it was a beautiful hike. I’m 58 and not in the greatest shape, but I made it the whole way. We started at about 9am and I would suggest starting early, as it got kind of warm on the way back. I got a little winded on the uphill parts, but I just stopped frequently and drank lots of water. The scenery was amazing! At the turnaround point, there was an amazing view of fishing boats and fishermen, as well as Four Peaks in the background. I highly recommend this hike, and plan on returning myself. You can buy a parking pass for $8 at most Circle K’s in the east valley, and they also sell them at the Saguaro Lake Marina, but I think they charge $12 for them there.

Easy serene and beautiful

A moderate hiker may consider this easy. The whole hike is very scenic...especially if your feeling land locked here in AZ...lol

I prefer to go early morning. The trail can become very busy mid morning.

We had a wonderful hike. I’d suggest going early in the day as the trail was quite busy in the late morning.

First time to this trail. Great hike. Very scenic, a few nice shaded portions and today there was a great breeze. I think next time I will start earlier, it got a bit more crowded as the afternoon approached.

Great hike, especially for geologists. Lots of conglomerates, a great view of some layered ash deposits, and four peaks.

Beautiful scenery, only drawback was lots of people! Will try this one again in summer, early morning.

Excellent hike to get your hiking legs back. Elevation is just enough to get your heart pumping and the views are incredible.

Great hike along the water. Beautiful views along the way. Very enjoyable. When I hiked this it was pretty well traveled and some spots made ‘two lane’ traffic interesting. I did go on a fee-free Park day. Trailhead has a bathroom, picnic area, and lake access.

Relatively easy hike with a couple of challenging spots. Mainly walk along water offering great views. Need to go to end of trail for beautiful view of Four Peaks over the Salt River. Well worth the hike!

Great hike. Views of Saguaro Lake. Not an easy hike, but not hard either. No bouldering or scrambling. Lots of Incline/decline. Narrow, rocky trail, at times with nearby drop off. 5-6 miles to completion at the coves, but plenty of places to stop/turn around.

Beautiful! Not very challenging but the views of Saguaro Lake and Salt River are some of the best I’ve seen in the east valley.