Butcher Jones Trail

Butcher Jones Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.9 miles 1981 feet Out & Back

The Day Pass for Tonto National Forest is $8 and needs to be purchased ahead of time. One location that has the passes for sale is the Chevron gas station at the intersection of 87 and McDowell Street.

27 seconds ago

16 minutes ago

Did this yesterday. Set out around 8 am. Had great cloud cover and a nice breeze all the way in. Sun came out and I was glad I had my hat. Beautiful views all around. Plenty of wildflowers in bloom. Not too difficult. Start early and bring a hat! Don't forget your Tonto pass. Also, parking was crowded when we left at 11.

1 hour ago

We took our 3 year old son with us. We only did 2 miles round trip but it was all so worth it! The views were amazing!

Loved this hike. It was so diverse. You start off in sand and shifting rock, scale a rocky cliff face of pale stone, descend into a dark tunnel of post-flood debris and tangled vegetation, emerge into a lush green forest with emerald grass and tall trees then come out onto another rocky inclined lined with cacti and desert plants. It was an easy hike, some up and down and one ascent that made my poor exhausted legs despise my poor choices but otherwise felt like a casual stroll. The lake is visible from almost every position but not necessarily accessible, but there are a few spots one could likely get down to the shore and wade in for a swim.

We started a little late 10:34am- by the time we finished we were exhausted. Go earlier ;) it was an easy trail, very nice scenery. The trail is narrow at some parts and overgrown cactus make you slow down to avoid getting caught ;) we did think the taking the shoreline 1/4 marker would lead us to water but it didn't. It is beautiful and I would recommend it for sure! Just be wise ☀️

Gorgeous trail with plenty of mountain curves and lake to take great photos. If you go in early March you can see the blooming flowers. While this is a moderate hike there are some difficult portions for people with poor balance and have difficulty walking on steep cliffs with narrow passings. If you're sure footed there is nothing to worry about.

This was an ok hike. Great view of lake, but very busy and no place to sit and enjoy the view while on the hike. Also, I didn't read the entire feed...get pass before you go. The trail distance is incorrect as well...much shorter than listed.

Really nice desert, mountain, and lake views. Will hike again! Don't forget to buy your Tonto Pass to park, before you get there, because they don't sell there.