Butcher Jones to the Beeline OHV Route

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(65)
Four Peaks Wilderness

Butcher Jones to the Beeline OHV Route is a 14.8 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Fort McDowell, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and off road driving and is best used from September until May.

Distance: 14.8 km Elevation Gain: 384 m Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

The Butcher Jones recreation site on Lake Suguaro is an excellent starting point for a morning of off-roading fun. It's an easy trail with one moderate section, with an optional advanced challenge along the way.

pretty straightforward. the one peak after you leave butcher jones looks a bit daunting but was no big deal. then everything else was pretty level until you hit the highway.

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail with lots of more difficult opportunities all around. I took it to the Four Peaks trail and took it to Hwy 188. Makes for a great day.

ohv/off road driving

You will need a Tonto Pass. You can pay the fee at the parking lot at a self-service kiosk, and then make your way around the parking lot to the OHV entrance gate. You'll immediately enter a wash where you'll likely encounter a number of vehicles with trailers and side by sides. Be careful - we encountered a number of younger riders on quads racing toward this area... The whole area is filled with relatively easy trails, which you can make more difficult by veering off toward whichever hillclimb you'd like to tackle. If you choose to do this, I'd highly recommend a little lift and at least 32" tires - you could certainly attempt anything in a stock vehicle, but you still need to get home... My rig is a 2011 Tacoma with a 3-inch lift and 33's. I'd also recommend recovery gear - a winch would be great, but at least a tow rope or a chain. We noticed several vehicles stuck, but neither had this gear - they would have remained stuck had another group not stopped to help (they got there before we could). All in all, you'll have great views of Saguaro and the surrounding mountains. Enjoy!

I’ve done Butcher Jones to the Beeline 3-4 times now. Did it in a stock Chevy Colorado Z71, and also my 13 Jeep Wrangler with a 3” lift and 33” AT tires. It’s a beautiful trail, starts sandy and easy, but it does get very rocky and washboarded in the middle section. Unavoidable rocks make for a rough ride that has only gotten worse with high traffic from OHV and side by side. Apart from the rocky drive it’s a beautiful trail. Airing down not necessary but will definitely help with the bumpy ride. Very easy trail for both vehicles, with a nice little hill climb right in the middle. Watch out for ruts coming down the hill because there are a few deep ones that you can easily damage your front end with. Otherwise beautiful views of the lake, 4 peaks, and weavers needle.

closed

Trail access to the lake was closed for on NYE day but, we took FR 11 and 1845 and still had a blast. Being I just got the RZR and we didn’t have friends to ride with we didn’t cross a wash on FR 11 that looked a intimidating and didn’t want to risk it. The washes were dry and on of the best parts. We need to find a group or some couples that do this. Definitely a great ride and will return the Jan 25th

ohv/off road driving

Great trail for me. This was my 4th time out and I really enjoyed the trail and the moderate sections. The hill was a bit intimidating at first look, but my Jeep loved every second of it. Great experience for me. Fun fun day.

ohv/off road driving

Great trail. Definitely do-able as long as you have a mild lift plus 4 wheel drive for one specific incline section of the trail.

Great trail love it went to the lake originally with my 2001 tundra instead of my jeep or other 4x4s didn’t air down just did it to see what my truck can do and did great 5speed 2WD truck made it one of the climbs I couldn’t crawl I had to floor it all the way up don’t recommend going into the washes tho if you don’t think you can make it out I usually have to use 4low but if your in a 2WD I recommend just staying on the trail to the end

ohv/off road driving

the trailers in great shape after a nice little steady rain

Overall a fun trail, nice because it’s a quickie. You could easily do it in an hour. For the most part I would consider it easy with the exception of a couple climbs. A 2Wd Might have some trouble getting over those. My five-year-old loved it. A couple nice panoramic views as well. 2016 JKUR 3.5 Game changer 35 Toyo at. Certainly wasn’t a challenge for the vehicle, but a fun ride for the family.

ohv/off road driving

Started at Saguaro Lake and ended at Beeline. My truck is a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 Z71 with the 8.1L with 6in RCD Lift running 35's. The trail starts out nice and wide and then narrows in the middle so if you are running a full size rig you will get pinstriped. I ran in 4 high the whole time due to I'm heavy and didn't want to lose traction in the loose stuff. My 4 & 9yr olds loved it! No airdown needed just slow and go. It took us exactly 1hr from pavement to pavement.

ohv/off road driving

This is my first time on this trail and loved it. I drive a stock 2016 F150 and it did great. I was in 2WD the whole trail until I chose the wrong path and had to put it into 4WD Low. I would definitely recommend starting at the top and ending at saguaro lake.

Wed May 15 2019

it was a great trail nice and short two and a half hour trip with plenty of off shoots you can spend an entire day here if you want.

Sun Apr 14 2019

Fun times. That hill climb is no joke but we made it in our stock forester. The sand and whoops were fun towards the end. Cantu wail to go here again. Probably check out four peaks next.

Sat Apr 06 2019

Not bad. Dry and nice view of weavers needle and the lake.

Tue Apr 02 2019

This was an awesome trail great views and pretty easy! There are views of the lake almost the entire way and then an awesome view of four peaks at the end. This is a great fall, winter and spring trail.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Cool little trail has a few challenges but over all pretty easy. I saw folks out there with stock vehicles, don't know how they faired. I think for a novice like me with a semi equipped vehicle it was fun. took my lunch and some picks. definitely ready for more challenges now. definitely a confidence gainer for me. beautiful views almost the whole way. only saw people at the beginning and the end mostly free traveled the whole route

Sun Mar 10 2019

Great quick trail with lots of options. Some nice views of the lake and four peaks

Sat Jan 12 2019

Wow. Easy to get off track if u don’t follow the map. Hills r steep and very challenging. There was one trail off the route I couldn’t get by in my Wrangler. Rocks were so big and made it very steep I turned around and went back to marked trail. Without this app I would probably been out there all night. Lol. This app is very very useful!

Sat Oct 13 2018

very narrow trail. expect some pinstripes