Bursera Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,788 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

There is no water anywhere on this trail, so bring plenty of water. You will be doing a lot of uphill hiking. In the fall and winter there is much more wildlife to see on this hike.

Did it counterclockwise like others suggested. Great workout, first incline is challenging!

She's a doozy! Took a little over 3 hours. It was a cloudy day which was GREAT. It would have been a lot harder if it was a cloudess day- no shade. We went counterclockwise, and that is for sure the best way to go... but be prepared for a heck of an incline for that first few miles. Beautiful hike though!! Totally worth it.

great trail, went counterclockwise, so be prepared for a heavy workout on the first 2.5 miles. also watch out for all the cool caves and mine shafts next to the trail... beautiful sunset hike

My daughter and I did this exact hike today, and really loved it. Like another reviewer suggested, we did the loop counter-clockwise and we were really glad we did. This way you get the "heavy climbing" (Lost Ranch Mine Trail) early. Lost Ranch Trail and National Trail were quite devoid of people, whereas the Bursera trail portion was heavily travelled (also mountain bikes). But it was a great 7.5 mile trek, taking us around 2 1/2 hours.

Nice hike, half shaded half not. Took 3 hours went clockwise.

A fun, interesting loop that uses the Bursera and National trails. I would suggest going counter clockwise to go uphill on the steepest, rockiest section. Great views, and the elevation changes make it interesting. My dog, however, said the rocky surface was ouchy; you might want to bring booties for your pup.

Good walk on the Bursera part, moves into the National trail, both steep in parts. Homeward was fairly tricky and steep in parts. Look out for the old mine near the end of my recorded path.

Wed Apr 17 2019

Nice trail. There are some climbs, but not too long or steep. Very doable. Wasn’t terribly hot but for some reasons there were lots of either burrowing bees or flies. There were also many places with large”swarms” of grasshoppers. Several times I felt I was Moses with the plague of locusts! I took the Gila Trail back to parking lot. Good portion is through a wash and not well marked. I would definitely do this trail again in the fall, and hope the bugs are gone.

Sat Mar 23 2019

First time doing this trail; only got off course once. Went CCW and feel like trail is more a Hard rating considering the steep climb. My garmin and Nike app feel that it was more of an 8 mile loop. Worth the hike...

Fri Feb 15 2019

Mon Feb 11 2019

Wow! Tons of butterflies, grasshoppers, and bees! Probably more than I’ve seen on any other trail. It was a nice trail with some decent elevation gain. After we split from the pyramid trail, we didn’t see a single person until we completed the loop and were heading back to the trailhead. There are also some pretty cool caves to check out as well.

Sat Feb 02 2019

Two long stretches of uphill at beginning and end make for good workout. With network of trails easy to get on wrong one but many end up connecting back up or leading to same general area. Some great views of the city.

Mon Jan 14 2019

Pretty trail!

Sat Jan 12 2019

Beautiful hike, lots of shade if you start early. Alternated between seeing a fair number of people and no one. Good views of downtown for a minute, but nice to start and finish on the south side!

Thu Jan 10 2019

7.3 miles, 2:31 hours. Excellent hike. Ran some of the flats and down. For a solid workout, do the Bursera Loop Counterclockwise via Elimination Trail going up. Wow, awesome! Flowers are blooming and trails are empty during the week. Lovin’ it!!

Sun Jan 06 2019

Good hike with amazing views!

Sat Jan 05 2019

pretty good trail looking forward 2 hitting it

Thu Dec 27 2018

Poorly marked. A lot of litter scattered around. Have seen better views on other South Mountain trails. We actually didn’t enjoy this trail much at all.

Sat Oct 27 2018

The Gila trail is not marked. I mentioned to ranger at the end of my hike. His reply was that it is a ‘social trail and the sticker must’ve fallen off’. Great hike. I was a little concerned about getting lost bc of poor signage.

Sat May 12 2018

Bursera is a cool loop. Great workout on foot and mtn biking. Nice cliffs and fun to catch this loop coming down from the north trails.

Wed Feb 21 2018

I didn’t think it has many great views. compared to other trails in south mountain trails. It was little boring.

Fri Dec 29 2017

Beautiful hike, tougher than expected. Some great views of the valley to the south, the mountains in the west and downtown Phoenix to the north. Note the elevation profile, if you suffer from restless leg syndrome and need a good workout, hang a right and go north first for a steep initial climb, otherwise hang a left and go west for a gradual climb and a steep decline at the end.