Bulldog Saddle and Pass Mountain Trail Loop

Bulldog Saddle and Pass Mountain Trail Loop is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1 minute ago

Fun Hike. Great views, not too hard but has some challenge just to keep you awake.

Started this trail going up the Bulldog Pass trail counterclockwise. Was easy walking until the incline hits and you a greeted with lots of large Rocks and scree so be careful. Once at the top of the Saddle the views are amazing and definitely don’t disappoint. The way back down the trail started off pretty easy to follow but then it seems to fade out so I had to check my gps on the app to make sure I was on the right path. Then once around the backside of the mountain a more visible trail picked back up and you start to the ascent back up to the other side towards Pass Mountain trail which while it was still a steep climb it didn’t seem to be as slippery as the first. Once finished with the second climb the views are again amazing and it is really cool to look up at the side rock of the mountain. The way back down was easygoing and not too slippery just muddy in some portions. There is a portion where 2 trails meet when hiking back down the Pass Mountain side, stay left and you will have to look for the trail that is a little difficult to spot that takes you through the wash where you will see footprints that lead you to the trail back. From there it’s an easy walk to the car and you are done. When finished make sure to turn around and admire the mountain you just hiked around. Bring plenty of water as always and decent hiking shoes are recommended. Took me about two hours and 20 minutes with some breaks.

It definitely exceeded our expectations . You won’t be able to follow this trail if you don’t use the app and GPS. We went left at the start of the loop. The views were amazing. The last mile was strewn with lots of small loose rocks. It’s a moderate hike, but hard on the ankles.

What a great trail. I took my 6 year old out and we saw some wild horses in the back about a mile passed the saddle. Lots of hikerscsaid they could never find where the trails meet.. if you are coming from the mountain pass side there is a cairn that you go right at and turns into bulldog saddle. we went the saddle way and it was easy to stay on the trail. We will for sure do this again.

I would almost give this 5 stars except for the beginning of the trail starting on the Bulldog Saddle side. The trail is of really poor quality with tennis ball to softball sized loose rocks. It's just hard going until you get to the saddle.

From the backside of the saddle to the Pass Mountain side of the trailhead this is an absolutely beautiful hike. I found the backside of this loop really easy to follow right up to the second saddle (travelling counterclockwise). At that point just hug the mountain and work your way to the far side of the canyon where that ridge will take you down with tremendous views of The Flatiron along the way.

If you can time this part of the loop to coincide with sunset you will be treated to some stunning views.

Lovely trail, wasn't clearly marked, I was looking for the loop which you have to cross the wash, I ended up hiking up the small mountain. Nice views.

Beautiful view, low-traffic and peaceful -- at least the parts over the first saddle (when run clockwise). The track is a bit difficult to follow, and quite challenging to run due to the loose gravel and steep grades. On the far side of the saddle, it feels a lot more remote and cell reception drops out in places. The "trail" out there is more like a combination of wildlife trail and drainage. You have to rely quite a bit on the presence of cairns to make the correct turns, including finding the branch for this trail from the Pass Mountain trail if you do it counterclockwise.

Be aware that you climb TWO saddles when completing this loop.

Why would rate sickly a beautiful trail 1 star simply because you could find your way? Get all trails pro, download maps and never get lost.
Absolutely great hike, great views

Not happy with this trails. I lost few time. No post on trail. Went out of loop and come back to find the loop. After found the loop. Hiking alone on that trail really creepy me out. A lot of inclines got to my car after 8.6 miles. Fell twice hurt my knees. I need to remind myself to bring first aids next trail. Will not come back here again. So disappointed with the trails Only two things I can say positive are 1). Beautiful views. 2) made it to my car safe with phone died on me

It was very challenging at times, but very nice view at the top.

Great hike . Moderate hike and enjoyed the view

Love!

I absolutely love this hike ! Great workout & beautiful views.

Somehow the trail did not take us back to the parking lot.

Did the bulldog part and it was wonderful great views

was hard to find the loop off pass mtn, but a good hike nonetheless.

Parked at the end of Meridian Road and hiked to Bulldog Saddle. Track hoof prints and keep an eye out for the path in tall grasses. Be aware that Usary Pass is a klick west of the backside of Bulldog Saddle and not to confuse the two depending on your destination. Always bring plenty of water!

Fantastic views !!

Beautiful and quiet day for hiking. This trail is especially quiet on the backside which is great. Good trail and nice 4.7 mile jaunt through the hills.

This was beautiful! We are going to do this again. Thank goodness for the AllTrails app too because there are spots you can get off track so I used the app to record and kept making sure we stayed on the loop. Also, from that parking lot, we went to the right and it was straight up the mountain. Next time, we will go left! It's more sloped and less steep!

Monday, January 08, 2018

Loved this hike. I started on the pass mountain side. Once I got to the top it was a bit difficult to find the trail around back to bulldog saddle, but I found it with the help of Google maps, which I found to be very accurate. I dont think I used the correct entrance, but had to take a couple steps through the desert to get to the trail- I may have missed the usual transition point but I made it pretty easily. The trail around back is easy enough to follow, I never lost the trail or had any concerns. Just keep following the cairns. I also had cell service (Verizon) the whole time. It took me 3 hrs to complete, with 30 min of it caused by going the wrong way and backtracking at the top of the pass mountain side trying to find the saddle trail. But highly recommend, I see myself returning every weekend!

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Great trail but can be a bit difficult to find your way in the back. I suggest starting on the bulldog side (right) vs the pass mountain side (left). The dogs enjoyed it as well

Friday, December 22, 2017

One of my great go-to hikes! Good elevation gain, nice rolling trails with just enough over growth. Once you get passed the bulldog saddle watch for cairns. It’s easy to get off trail but hard to get lost back there.