Browns Peak via Brown's Trail

Browns Peak via Brown's Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1952 feet

You must access the trailhead, Lone Pine, via highways 87 or 188. I met friends who came from 87 and they said it took them an hour on the dirt road, about 18 miles of rocky, rough road. I came from 188, about 8 miles of dirt road with mild rocks which took maybe a half hour. We chose to all leave the way I came from 188 because the dirt road conditions being more favorable. It will save you time and the hassle if you don’t have a 4x4 vehicle to come from 188.

If you ask me you need to be ready for some physical exertion on this hike, especially should you choose to continue on to another one of the four peaks. The first half of this trail is easy but the bouldering of the last quarter of the hike is difficult.

Always a fun and challenging hike. The trail is getting a bit over grown with a lot of downed trees. We did see an eight point buck about 30 feet off the trail. The leaves are just beginning to change.

We really enjoyed this out and back hike. Some nice views through and above the treeline. We timed it right and caught all of the foliage in bloom. Some scrambling is needed towards the end.

The trail is dog-friendly, our 7 y.o JRT trail dog had an easy go at it until she tuckered out (must have been the elevation :-)

Please note that to get to the TH may require a high ground clearance vehicle (lots of washboard and rocky dirt road). 4WD is not necessary (we saw a Honda Accord parked at the TH) but care is needed around turns with the ATV traffic.

Great hike! Last mile takes good climbing skills. It will take a good hiker 4 hours the first time.

Excellent hike! The trail is well market all the way to saddle where you just need to climb towards the peak following your instincts :-o However the view are beautiful. It took me 4 hours. You need 4WD to get to the trailhead.

This is a excellent and challenging hike, due to the technical climb the last 1/4 mile to the summit. You are required to climb almost vertical rock face and at times make your own path through the chute & on to the summit, there is little margin for error here. BUT if you enjoy climbing and a good workout the view is 100% worth it. Watch out for cactus in the foot and handle holds! Take your time navigating the summit, there are no trail markings and its easy to get lost trying to find your way back down. Few nice areas to camp along the way up.
You can get to the trail head two ways, Off AZ 87 via FSR 143 (Cline Cabin Rd) or off AZ 188 via El Oso Rd. The FSR 143 route will take you almost an hour to hit the trail head, a 4x4 vehicle with some clearance is recommended. (A sedan on this road would be a nightmare). I've read traveling from El Oso Rd is a little more manageable. Don't forget to enjoy the ride in, Tonto's scenery is absolutely breathtaking and always wild.

Beautiful views, super smooth trail until just past the saddle. Easy to lose the trail at ths top but worth finding it.

What a journey! It was quite a drive out there. I took 88 to 188. 88 is a lot of dirt road. Some of it is single-lane. But it's good scenery. It goes by Canyon Lake. Lots of windy road. And I'm glad I had my 4x4 for the drive from 188 to the trailhead. That certainly made it easier, I'm sure.

The hike was pretty easy for most of it. The first 2 miles is just a steady little incline. There was some bush and trees overgrowth on the path. So wear pants if you're worried about getting your legs scratched up (I wore shorts...wasn't too bad. I got a few scrapes). Once you get to the Y where the trail splits, you start climbing. Not so bad at first. Then it gets steeper and trickier. From this point, it's an extremely difficult and dangerous hike. It's mainly dangerous because of the loose gravel and stones. Very easy to slip (especially coming down!). It reminds me of Flatrock, as in you go straight up the wash until it ends. But unlike Flatrock (where you turn right at the top), here you start climbing up the left just before the very top of the wash. It's really easy to miss it. I passed it and spent 10 minutes looking around trying to find the trail. I should have taken pics to post. But you get GPS through the app for most of the trail (although I still couldn't find it for awhile). When I did find it, it's a short, sketchy climb to the top. Amazing view! It's quite an awesome hike! I just wish it was better marked. Maybe someone can take some spray paint and mark the trail a bit.

As I said, lots of loose rock. Be extremely careful coming down! And look out for people above and below you as rocks skid down the wash a lot!