Browns Peak via Brown's Trail

Browns Peak via Brown's Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1952 feet

Definitely not a beginner trail, it is easy to get lost up here so go with a gps if your land navy skills are lacking. I came across 2 lost hikers up near the sumit last time. They yelled to me from the next ridge over stating they were lost. I was able to use a whistle to guide them to my position and was able to help them back down to the parking lot from there. They got lucky because I was the only other soul on the mountain. Anyway, Just a fair warning that this terrain is rugged and unforgiving and extremely remote. Bring plenty of water! With all of that said this is the best trail to hike in the area. It's challenging enough and the views are to die for!!

Intense but wonderful! I would rate this hike as difficult because of both terrain and elevation. Word of caution, I have personally hiked this as late as April and had snow and ice at the top.

Fantastic hike! Take El Oso Rd in and out of Four Peaks, the other way in off the 87 is rough. Otherwise, great views, well worth the hike.

This one was one of my favorite hikes. Even if you only make it to the saddle and not the peak, you are in for a treat. If you are able, I strongly recommend you climb to the peak. It is a pretty decent climb to the peak, so if you are not found of having little foot space and grasping onto rocks I wouldn't recommend going that far. (I posted pics that show the climb) But from the peak, the beauty of Arizona's landscape comes in masses and is almost overwelming. This is a sight that I will never forget. IF YOU GET THE CHANCE, HIKE THIS!!!

Ps. I recommended taking the back road from 188. The road is all dirt but very compacted compared to the other suggested.

Very difficult for a first timer(or maybe it was just for me lol), but very fun and worth it!

The view from the peak cannot be beat! On a clear day you can see all the way to Mt. Humphrey's! Like other's have said, the actual hike isn't really that hard - the first 4/5 of it are very moderate, more like a walk in the woods. However, the last 1/5 of the hike is pretty much a technical climb. I absolutely loved this part because I love climbing, but be aware if you aren't prepared for a very steep albeit short technical climb to reach the actual peak. Dogs will not make it to the peak due to the steepness of the last bit. My boyfriend and I joked that the hardest part of this hike was actually the drive to the trailhead! We took the route from Phoenix that you'll get if you click "directions" on all trails and map from Phx., Even though we had a high clearance truck, we struggled. It is 18 miles of off-roading. If you have access to an ATV or some other off-roading vehicle, that would be the best vehicle to take to this trail. However, after the hike we took the "back way" out because we didn't want to tackle the off-roading again. The "back way" is only about 10 miles of dirt road, and its actual dirt road, not off-roading. It adds an additional 50 miles to your trip, but is actually about the same in terms of time because most of the drive is highway. Next time I do this hike, I'll definitely take the back way both in and out unless I can get my hands on a dirt bike or ATV! The entrance to the dirt road that brings you in the back way is right before mile marker 255 along Hwy 188. Follow the dirt road for about 10 miles and you will find the trailhead!

I love coming up Browns. It's a great way to see the entire valley (both sides) from a vantage point that isn't crowded. The drive to the parking lot is long and I would say probably requires a 4x4 of some kind. The trail is easy until the very end. I would recommend not getting caught in the dark (I did once and it was a pain getting back down). It's an all day adventure with the drive from Phoenix but totally worth it!

A great hike and climb. Starts out very moderate -- quite deceiving compared to the rock climbing you'll do at the end! Amazing view, and would be even better on a clear day. Would recommend bringing some gloves or an extra layer of clothing as it gets cooler as you go up.

4 Peaks/Brown's Peak. if you get there from Rd87, it is about 20 miles off road to the parking spot. The road was pretty ok for RWD truck.Try come from 188 it is 10miles less on off road. parking offers access to all 4 Peaks which starts as one Brown's peak trail at first. Climbing requires some level of skills. amazing view to and from the summits.

I don't have a high clearance vehicle so was skeptical about taking the route from Phoenix. I found these directions that talk about going around the mountain and coming to the trailhead from the east and it worked out great. http://www.toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Arizona/Tonto/Tonto4.htm Still had about a 40 minute drive on a dirt road once you turn in off route 188 but it wasn't bad. My Hyundai Accent made it just fine as long as you take it slow. A lot of ATV's come flying around the corners so keep a lookout.

I did this hike solo last week. Weather was great and although there was snow all along the side of the mountain it was not cold at all on top. The first two miles were pretty easy and mainly just a steady incline. Once you get to the fire pit is where the scrambling really begins. Very steep and pretty narrow at times but for the most part you can always tell where to put your hands etc. A lot of loose rocks so if you're hiking with people make sure to pay attention of falling rocks. Coming down wasn't too bad as long as you go slow although I did go far off trail at one point by not paying attention. Agree with the statement below that it is not as physically exhausting at Flat Iron however a lot more technical climbing. How I described it to someone at the trailhead was - for those who have climbed Flat Iron and remember that last steep climb straight up before you get to the top.... That's what Brown's Peak is like for the last 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

Spectacular views! Hike was definitely a challenge but doable. Despite the loose rock (scree) everyone warns of in the chute, there were still solid places to grab hold of with both your hands and feet. I feel that Flatiron was more difficult as far as physical exertion goes, and this was more difficult in the technical sense with regard to climbing (but again totally doable). Totally worth it!!

March 14, 2017
1 hr 10 minutes from 87 to parking F 150 in 2 wheel dr. No issues but defiantly need the clearance
4 hr round trip to the summit with our party of 9
Ages 55 to 75.
Definitely need some climbing skills for the last part of the chute to the summit. High quality hand holds so No one had a problem descending
Great views from the top