Browns Peak via Brown's Trail

Browns Peak via Brown's Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The road to the trailhead is not paved.

One of my favorites!
2 things you need to know.
1- it's rough driving to get there, but the road from Roosevelt lake is much smoother and shorter than the one closer to Phoenix. you need clearance, 4 wd isn't necessary but helpful
2- the last run is very steep and dangerous, careless hikers above you may drop rocks and people die from falls. but it's very very doable. just be aware.

additionally, I know I would get grief for this, but I hike off trail to get down. on your decent, before you get to the steep drop, I turn down toward the parking lot. it's loose dirt in some areas and I would guess if there's leaves on the trees you might lose your bearings. but it was an excellent decision for us as we were running out of sunlight, we beat others down while had left the summit 30 minutes before us.

Hiked it during the day and then again 6 hours later to catch the eclipse a few months ago. If you get towards the top late in the day to see the sun start to set the view is best around Phoenix IMO

Easy hike for first 2 miles, then scramble comes up on you. Be ready to climb. Requires athleticism and no fear of heights. Spectacular view at the top. Highly reccomend for those capable.

**Read this if you want to take your dog...**
I hiked this amazing trail two weeks ago with my 50 lb 8 year old trail seasoned blue weimaraner who hikes mountain trails 4-7 times a week. The trail was fine, easy even, until we had to climb over the large boulder. We did it but there is a ledge about a foot wide on the other side of the boulder with a 20 foot drop below. My dog was not a fan! Two of us handled her by harness to get her over and pass her down. (I was told by a friend you can go around that boulder-Just like you can go around the 12ft wall on Flat Iron) After this point the trail increases significantly in vertical climb up to the peak. Up is never the issue-as you know down is harder. We got about 3/4 of the way on this part of the trail to the top of the peak before we tapped out! We probably could have climbed it, but the decent would have been dangerous and irresponsible for both me and my dog to attempt together. This dog has hiked Flat Iron in the Sups, Humphreys and hikes Black Mountain in Cave Creek 3-6 times a week-all labeled as difficult hikes. Take your dog if you don't mind NOT climbing to the peak. The entire hike round trip took 2 hours for very seasoned hikers with stops. I would recommend bringing gloves.
We will return this weekend without my dog.

***Road driving caution. I drive a Jeep Trailhawk -I drove this 18 mile forest road fast and rough. It was a lot of fun but it loosened 2 heat shields and broke 3 motor mounts--I can't entirely blame the road for the motor mounts, they may have been close to needing to be replaced. But drive fast and fun knowing the risks...

Great Sunday morning hike. Great 360 degree views. Started out around 9:30am and finished up around noon. Would recommend an earlier start from now through the hot months as it was approaching 85 when we finished up. There is no shade on the trail. Bring plenty of water & sunscreen. Wear hiking footwear as it’s very rocky on the trail, especially, the first half. Great hike!!

What a great trail! Fantastic views along the way and of course at the top. The hike is fairly easy until you get to the chute. Take your time going up and you should be fine, only a few questionable spots.

What an epic hike/scramble/climb. Not too crazy as far as route finding, but makes up for it with the difficulty of the scree chute. Not sure how/why Alltrails considers this dog friendly.

Really worth the work! About an 1-1/2 drive out to the trailhead and then a nice trail. Once you hit the saddle it’s a bit more elevation. Few sketchy spots near the top - we just went slow and watched our footing. Exhilarating view at the top with thousands of lady bugs. And we could see mount Humphrey’s.

OMG there was snow! This was our second time up Browns Peak but we didn't expect snow in March. As Canadians, we aren't afraid of a little snow and decided to go for it anyway and see what we could do. As usual, the views going up are gorgeous and the trail was in good shape. Scree Chute is intimidating enough without ice and snow, but with it...wow! Other people were coming down so we decided to go for it. With hiking boots and gloves we made our way to the top and back down again. It was super sketchy though. I'm glad I can say I've done it in the snow, but I don't think I'd attempt it again. Free climbing in those conditions is unpredictable and I'm just not sure it's worth the stress. Browns Peak is still a favourite and absolutely beautiful up-top. I will definitely do this one again, sans snow!

I honestly love this hike. It involves a little bit of rock climbing/scaling. Views are pretty amazing. If you go during the spring months be sure to bring bug spray. For the avid hiker, I would give a moderate rating since it does have some climbing. For a beginner, I would say it's difficult. The road up there is the worst part - long & bumpy. That's the only reason why I've only gone once. Otherwise, I'd be there all the time.

Great hike with most of it through a pine forest on nice dirt trail. Once you ascend over the pines, you come to Brown's Saddle and the imposing peak is ready for you to climb. Difficult climb and we reached a chute that is listed as a Class-4 exposed scramble so we stopped a couple hundred feet from the top. We will be back and get to the peak!

Great hike, easy stroll to the base of the peak. After you get to the base it gets a little tricky. If you aren’t too experienced, take it nice and slow. Once we got to the top we hung out for about a half hour and talked about how we never wanted to leave this view. It’s amazing. The hike took about 4 hours, but that was very casual. We saw some people with a dog, but I wouldn’t recommend at all.

This hike was terrifying to me. My fear of heights doesn't help.

off road driving

The hike and drive were great.

First the drive - I took the road from the Beeline Hwy (87) to the trailhead. I was in a 2wd Suburban. For all those people who say that you need 4wd, they are wrong. I think they are conflating the term 4wd with high clearance. Any 2wd high clearance vehicle will work. There was not a single place on the drive in that I was ever remotely concerned about being stuck. That being said, I wouldn’t recommend a sedan or crossover. I also wouldn’t recommend any vehicle with low profile tires because there are lots of rocks that could puncture your sidewalls. The drive was about 1.5-2 hours from the Beeline so be prepared. However, it was very scenic and enjoyable.

On to the trail, it was great. You start in a deciduous forest and move on up to the rocky portions above the trees. The chute looks extremely challenging from the saddle, but it’s doable. Unfortunately when I went (late February), it was during a cold snap and by the time I got about 100 feet from the top, all of the footholds were full of ice. I could see the top, but there was no safe way for me to make it to the top. I was extremely disappointed, but I’ll be back when it warms up.

For those wanting to know how it compares to the Flatiron: they are similar. Brown’s is less physically grueling (less elevation gain), and less crowded. However, there are more technical areas in Brown’s. Browns is also nice in that you park and you’re immediately on the trail, as opposed to Flatiron where you park and then have about a mile long flat(ish) walk on big stones that can twist your ankle and is not scenic.

We came down through Roosevelt Lake in a Forester and it was a nice off roading adventure. Browns Peak is definitely a more advanced hike with scrambling especially when you get to the saddle for a good mile or what seems like two. Bring a warm jacket, gloves and hiking boots. So many people on the trail with running shoes etc and you need something that grips well and gives ankle support! Good luck, enjoy the view!

Amazing hike. We took the road off 87 cause ~adventure~ but 4WD was necessary. The hike starts out as a moderate incline, then the last mile or so is literally rock climbing. Gloves would’ve been helpful. It’s windy at the summit so bring a jacket and def don’t forget the Four Peaks beer to enjoy at the top

Great hike! Regretted taking the road from 87 on the way there. Have a ford ranger and it barely got us there. Tool the road to 188 on the way home and it was way better!!

Perfect trip. I will hike this mountain to its peaks many more times.

So fun to get to the top of this conspicuous Phoenix landmark! Definitely some hands and feet scrambling to get to the summit. Helmets are a very good idea given loose rock and given that there may very well be other people climbing above you.

We found the county road coming up from 188 (east) to be in much better shape than the road that ascends from 87 (west).

get ready to scramble

Loved this hike! Absolutely will be back . Would be beautiful in fall with leaves changing! Nice trail with a gradual incline . We started hiking at 9. Dress for it to be chilly in the morning but able to take off a layer . 3/4 of the way you will hit the saddle . Great viewpoint. Short distance after you will get to a white rocky wash that leads all the way up. If you keep going on the trail it will lead you to the other peaks and eventually a private property that you can not continue. Took about 45 mins each way from the wash if your up for a longer hike. The hike up from the wash is challenging but lots of fun. Be careful! We drove a Passat to the trailhead using the suggestion of using highway 188 and it was perfect . Enjoy!

Awesome trail. The first two-thirds is moderate and peaceful. We didn’t start until around 12:30pm. Pockets of cool, crisp air along with patches of snow made it a perfect escape from the desert. Beautiful plants, animals and scenery all around.
The last third is tougher, but don’t talk yourself out of it. So worth the climb through the chute. I will absolutely be doing this again.
As for the drive up there, make sure you’re comfortable driving a vehicle that can handle rough, dirt roads, gravel, some rock and you’re not afraid of heights. 4x4, no problem. We did only have a 2-wheel drive smaller truck, though, and made it just fine. Saw a couple of mini vans and a sedan all the way up there... but I wouldn’t recommend.
Get out there!

First time hiking this trail yesterday with my son and wife, amazing trail!!!!!! Beautiful views some snow and not too windy!!! The hike is pretty moderate until the saddle then it's a climb to the top!!! Will definitely be hiking this trail again

Beautiful place, the chute was probably the most difficult. hug the left. well worth it. saw blue jays deer and numerous other animals.

Amazing.... must do!! Definitely a scramble to the top with some vertical climbing and extreme exposure...exhilarating!!! Definitely suggest 4WD to get there. However, I did see a van making its way up to the trail head. The first two miles to the saddle is a moderate ascent. Beautiful views all along and at the saddle. If your looking for a challenge....continue on....you will be rewarded by breathtaking views from the top!!!

You must access the trailhead, Lone Pine, via highways 87 or 188. I met friends who came from 87 and they said it took them an hour on the dirt road, about 18 miles of rocky, rough road. I came from 188, about 8 miles of dirt road with mild rocks which took maybe a half hour. We chose to all leave the way I came from 188 because the dirt road conditions being more favorable. It will save you time and the hassle if you don’t have a 4x4 vehicle to come from 188.

If you ask me you need to be ready for some physical exertion on this hike, especially should you choose to continue on to another one of the four peaks. The first half of this trail is easy but the bouldering of the last quarter of the hike is difficult.

Always a fun and challenging hike. The trail is getting a bit over grown with a lot of downed trees. We did see an eight point buck about 30 feet off the trail. The leaves are just beginning to change.

We really enjoyed this out and back hike. Some nice views through and above the treeline. We timed it right and caught all of the foliage in bloom. Some scrambling is needed towards the end.

The trail is dog-friendly, our 7 y.o JRT trail dog had an easy go at it until she tuckered out (must have been the elevation :-)

Please note that to get to the TH may require a high ground clearance vehicle (lots of washboard and rocky dirt road). 4WD is not necessary (we saw a Honda Accord parked at the TH) but care is needed around turns with the ATV traffic.

Great hike! Last mile takes good climbing skills. It will take a good hiker 4 hours the first time.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Excellent hike! The trail is well market all the way to saddle where you just need to climb towards the peak following your instincts :-o However the view are beautiful. It took me 4 hours. You need 4WD to get to the trailhead.