Bright Angel Trail to Three-Mile Resthouse

Bright Angel Trail to Three-Mile Resthouse is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

From Grand Canyon village take the Bright Angel trail down to the resthouse.

My husband and I hiked this trail yesterday. Thank you for all the previous reviews which were very helpful Agree with all. We are in our 60's and relatively fit ( Just biked 30 miles in Solvang California)) . We turned around at the 1.5 mile . My husband wanted to go on but I am glad we didn't. Hike up was hot and difficult in spots. We left at 8 am and we're back on the south rim by 10:15. Needed 4 bottles of water and 1 bottle of OJ.
we then walked the southern rim for about 3 miles with turn around time.
Glad we brought sandwiches and snacks.
Beautiful scenery! Still had enough energy to enjoy dinner out and a drive along the Dessert Drive Road.

Hiked it with my 10 and 8 year old, however we turned around at the 1 1/2 mile rest stop. To the mile and a half rest stop it is a 1100 foot drop. If you take kids make sure they have proper gear as the hike is steep. My kids would have had trouble going to the 3 mile rest stop. Saw many families attempting the hike without enough water or proper foot ware

Probably the best trail for going into the canyon on the southern rim. Me and a friend (both college age and decently fit) started the hike about 11 AM and made it down to Indian Gardens about 2:30 PM or so. The trip was 9 miles roundtrip and was very literal in the idea that the hike up will take twice as long as the hike down as we took 3 to get down and 6 to get back up. We took four water bottles and plenty of snacks and stopped at three mile as our resting point. If you're taking this trail please be wary of the heat. Soaking your hat/shoes/shirt can really save you when you're not in the shadow of the canyon.

Definitely make sure that your shoes are well worn when you go in. Both me and my friend wore tennis shoes and were fine but we met with one unfortunate hiker who had worn brand new shoes and was suffering for it.

Ended up hiking the Bright Angel Trail to Indian Garden (1.5 miles past the 3 mile rest house) last week in the extreme heat. I started just before 5am and was able to complete all 9 miles by 10am. The last few miles were very tough due to the combination of heat and elevation gain. The good news about this trail is that it's very well maintained and that water is available at several spots. I'd like to hike down to the river in the future.

This is not a moderate hike as listed. It is moderate to 1.5 but to 3 mile rest house it's pretty tough hike. Be sure to start hike early as it gets hot. We started at 7:30 and wished we started a little earlier. I took my 6 year old as we hike 5-8 miles every weekend around Vegas(moderate ones) but the steepness, elevation and temperature make it hard. The views were pretty amazing. Once you get to the 3 mile rest house go beyond to the out cropping and you can get a great 360 view with a 5-700 foot drop.

Started at Kolb Studio and walked about 20 minutes past the first water/restroom area. Great hike with beautiful views; however, get an early morning start! It gets hot and there is limited shade. Easy down and uphill all the way back up. Bring lots of water and sunscreen!

We hiked 1.5 miles down to the restroom and then back up. Easy going down, challenging coming up. Very busy trail and at times had to hike at the pace of the people in front of us because we couldn't always get around them.

Went to 1.7 mile mark. Left at 8 and were back by 11. Much harder on way back because of the heat as well as inline. Wasn't too crowded going down but was busier later. Shade was scant. Definitely bring at least a liter per person just for this distance. Yes it does take twice as long to come back up