Bright Angel Trail to Three-Mile Resthouse

Bright Angel Trail to Three-Mile Resthouse is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

2076 feet

From Grand Canyon village take the Bright Angel trail down to the resthouse.

Great hike! Superb views. Made to mile and a half outpost with a super intrepid 3 1/2 year old and 7 year old.

Great hike, though the hike back up can be a little challenging. Good views of the inside of the canyon though.

Great trail to experience part of the canyon below the rim. Bring water! No ice on the trail mid-December. Mild weather

Great hike and great way to see the canyon from inside. Only went to the 1.5 mile resthouse as we didn't have time to go all the way to the 3 mile. Glad we turned around! Being from the East Coast, not quite used to the higher elevation so coming back up was quite the test! Take many breaks and you'll be okay! It was mid-November so much cooler than it will be in the summer, we had quite a few layers to begin but shed as we went along.

Did this on Wednesday 11/22/17 starting down at 9 am. Weather was freezing at rim and we shed our layers by 1.5 stop. Took plenty of water including BCAA powder and taped heels, calves and lower back with KT tape. My husband and I actually went all the way to Plateau Point but when we got to 3 mile rest house, i was ready to stop. This is pretty steep and my legs were wobbly from the hike down!! I conditioned my legs (incline) for several months in preparation for the climb out but i was not prepared for the descent. I recommend you do a lot of lunges to prepare your legs! View is awesome but I spent a lot of time looking down at the trail to watch my step....rocks, mule droppings, etc. Stop to look up! :) There was NO WATER at the 1.5 or the 3 mile rest house! Indian Garden (1.5 mile further) was only place with water. Going up was a little easier on me but not my husband. The last half mile gong up was much harder than I thought it would be. Pace yourself and take lots of breaks! Stay hydrated! 4 days later, my legs are still sore...but...it was awesome!!

This was particularly tough due to the steep drop offs on the sides. This made the hike a bit less enjoyable as i have a healthy fear of heights and have two kiddos with me.

Not one of my favorite hikes.

Late post. Catching up from 10/17. Great solo hike to 1.5 rest house. I met some fantastic people and was inspired by many who were coming up the finish mile from the rim to rim adventure - particularly an rather senior gentleman and his sons? Dude, if you can do all that then I can certainly survive Kaibob Ooh ah point and this short Bright Angel hike in one day.

Perfect trail and great views!

Great hike! The views of the canyon are amazing. We hiked the trail in October and the weather was perfect.

This trail is very busy. Bringing a lot of water is no joke. Started around 8:30. Nice mix of sun and shade along the way. Hard to enjoy all of the scenery due to the mule droppings.

Hands down the best hike I've ever been on. No matter what point you are on the trail, you're surrounded nearly 360 degrees with gorgeous scenery.

We added on an additional 1.5 miles down to the Indian Garden where the path plateaued slightly (in comparison to the relentless switchbacks), and had the delightful experience of hearing rattlesnakes right off the trail. Even as someone with a severe snake paranoia, this wasn't a deterrent as the scenery was magnificent.

If you have bad knees like I do, I highly recommend using hiking poles right off the bat the entire way down, and KT tape if you're into that. I was stupid and didn't, and was hurting for days as a result.

Don't worry about packing a lot of water, as there are water pumps and bathrooms roughly every 1.5 miles. You'll be set with 1.5-2L of water, and be able to refill at these stations. There are no options for food, however, so make sure you bring enough.

Solid sneakers with 2 pairs of socks and inserts are definitely fine for this trail. It's really well maintained and generally smooth.

We went during the second weekend in October and the weather was still in the 80s, so dress accordingly.

The total time for the 9 miles (4.5 down and 4.5 up) was about 7 hours. Keep in mind that the more strenuous cardiovascular part of the hike is actually at the end, after you've already destroyed your knees going down.

Simply wonderful!

Great views! Start early !

Take lots of water and snacks. Pace yourself. Serious elevation change in a short period of time makes it a fun hike.

Awesome trail i did as part of a larger hike and would love to do again.

Hiked this last week with my husband. We started later than we wanted (around 8:30 am) and turned around at the three mile resthouse. Drank 4 liters of water each and had plenty of salty snacks. Took 6-7 hours since we aren't used to the terrain. It was a challenge for sure but worth it.

My husband and I hiked this trail yesterday. Thank you for all the previous reviews which were very helpful Agree with all. We are in our 60's and relatively fit ( Just biked 30 miles in Solvang California)) . We turned around at the 1.5 mile . My husband wanted to go on but I am glad we didn't. Hike up was hot and difficult in spots. We left at 8 am and we're back on the south rim by 10:15. Needed 4 bottles of water and 1 bottle of OJ.
we then walked the southern rim for about 3 miles with turn around time.
Glad we brought sandwiches and snacks.
Beautiful scenery! Still had enough energy to enjoy dinner out and a drive along the Dessert Drive Road.

Hiked it with my 10 and 8 year old, however we turned around at the 1 1/2 mile rest stop. To the mile and a half rest stop it is a 1100 foot drop. If you take kids make sure they have proper gear as the hike is steep. My kids would have had trouble going to the 3 mile rest stop. Saw many families attempting the hike without enough water or proper foot ware

Probably the best trail for going into the canyon on the southern rim. Me and a friend (both college age and decently fit) started the hike about 11 AM and made it down to Indian Gardens about 2:30 PM or so. The trip was 9 miles roundtrip and was very literal in the idea that the hike up will take twice as long as the hike down as we took 3 to get down and 6 to get back up. We took four water bottles and plenty of snacks and stopped at three mile as our resting point. If you're taking this trail please be wary of the heat. Soaking your hat/shoes/shirt can really save you when you're not in the shadow of the canyon.

Definitely make sure that your shoes are well worn when you go in. Both me and my friend wore tennis shoes and were fine but we met with one unfortunate hiker who had worn brand new shoes and was suffering for it.

Ended up hiking the Bright Angel Trail to Indian Garden (1.5 miles past the 3 mile rest house) last week in the extreme heat. I started just before 5am and was able to complete all 9 miles by 10am. The last few miles were very tough due to the combination of heat and elevation gain. The good news about this trail is that it's very well maintained and that water is available at several spots. I'd like to hike down to the river in the future.