Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point Trail

Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point Trail is a 12.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Plateau Point Trail - Grand Canyon National Park is a 1.6 mile point-to-point trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

went all the way to plateau point, well worth the effort. We started at 10am and finished at 4:20. Stopped for an hour at plateau point for lunch.

This is a tough day hike and I was starting to get cramped in the last mile. I probably could have avoided that by slowing down the ascend pace.

The view from the plateau point was gorgeous, and I would highly recommend going all the way.

quite crowded at the top but once you get past 1.5 mile house the congestion is less...pretty views...saw mules taking a couple back up.

Day hike on a beautiful day late November. Walked down to the Indian gardens and back in 5 hours. It was a cloudy day with 50-60 F temps so we ended up having more water than we needed. Found the hike down the trail more challenging than uphill because I'm scared of heights! But so glad I did this and could've made it to plateau point but had to drive back the same day. Overestimated the uphill hike it's definitely do-able with moderate conditioning prior to hike

There was NO WATER at the 1.5 or the 3 mile rest house! Indian Garden (1.5 mile further) was only place with water. We are new to hiking and I conditioned for the climb but not the descent :( so going up was a little easier on me than descent. The last half mile gong up was much harder than I thought it would be. Pace yourself and take lots of breaks! Stay hydrated! Started 9 am finished 7 pm! Watched sun set at 1.5 mile house Thankfully we had head lamps! The stars were unreal!! I really admire those that can do this like its a walk in the park! 4 days later, my legs are still sore...but...it was awesome!! So glad someone told me to put KT tape on heels prior to hike!

Kick ass. Did to mine. 11.19.17

Did this hike for my 50th birthday.

Just hiked this trail 10/31/17 started 7:30 a.m. reached the point 9:30 the view was amazing!! Turned around and made it back to the top by noon. I only had a day at the Canyon and this hike was perfect!!

This is a breathtaking trail! We went 12/31/16-1/1/17. We made the descent to Indian Gardens and camped there for the night. we woke up early the next day to make the rest of the trek before the sun rose. The most memorable sunrise of my life. After you’ve made your descent from the canyon rim it is pretty flat the remainder of the trail from Indian gardens to Plateau Point. If you’re camping it could easily be done in one day, from the rim to the point, then camp and out the next day. Getting back up the switchbacks is quite the trek. When we did it there was snow and slush covering the trail about half way and ice at the top which just required trekking poles and crampons and paying more attention to our foot placement. The way down took a lot longer for us because we were constantly stopping to take in the scenery. We made it out in a crazy 2.5 hours. We stopped twice for no more than 5 mins. It was for speed only, not for enjoyment. I would say to expect to get out in about 4 hours depending on your pack weight and fitness level.

Great hike! Good water stops and it was key! :)

Amazing. I would rate this as moderate. Not very hard but great day hike. Make sure to bring food.

Awesome views at the Point!

Great hike. Nice views. Tough way back up. Watch heat. Did it in 4.5 hours with about 45 mins of breaks for pictures and snacks.

Started at sunrise, which would have been great -- but it was made even better when a boy played a sonata on trumpet as the sun rose over the canyon. Probably not a great idea to try making it down to Plateau Point if you don't get an early start; we did the route in 6 hours, and it was already very difficult because of the heat in the last 3 miles.

Absolutely stunning!

The descent into the inner canyon was split into roughly 3 sections, based off the rest-houses and layers of rock. It's somewhat steep and can become more difficult to traverse if it has rained recently, so strong shoes are a must.

Past Indian Garden Campground, there's so much open space it's easy to forget you're actually in the canyon. The trail winds around a few low hills, past prickly pear and barrel cacti. The view from Plateau Point is incredible, regardless of weather or if the river's running muddy.

awesome...love everything in the canyon
want to go back...

Great hike. Start early to avoid crowds but they thin out the further you hike. Bring lots of water. Was a bit cool in May but still burned through a lot of water. Plateau Point is a great spot to stop and eat lunch. Great views the entire way. Loved it.

Maybe this deserves a 5-star, but I dropped it to four because I lost the fun factor the last mile or so. This was the first time I've hiked down into a canyon and was surprised by how much having the most intense portion at the end of the trek (rather than the usual beginning) affected my performance. The 4.5 mile, 3,500 ft ascent back to the top is no joke, especially after experiencing 110+ degree temperatures on the canyon floor (~25-30 degrees hotter than the top). There's no "out," so be sure you're prepared and physically able to make the return. Many reviewers here warn about bringing enough water -- and they're right. However, there are three rest houses with water, bathrooms, and a covered area along the route: at 1.5-, 3-, and ~4.5 miles from the trailhead. I brought two 1 liter bottles and that was perfect, drinking 1.25 gallons total, but simply refilling at the water stations. Be aware that you are completely exposed with no shade for the 3 mile RT to the Plateau from Indian Garden and there are no services at the Plateau. The views really are stunning, though -- both at the Plateau and during your entire hike down -- and I would do this hike again, but add camping overnight at Indian Garden because it is gorgeous!

Amazing trail with an amazing view at the plateau in the bottom ;)