Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point Trail

Bright Angel Trail to Plateau Point Trail is a 12.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Plateau Point Trail - Grand Canyon National Park is a 1.6 mile point-to-point trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that offers scenic views. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

Difficult and satisfying.

Great day/half day hike option at south rim. Nice steep elevation change for first portion then easy flat last quarter. 4.5 hours down and back. Leave early morning or early/mid afternoon to avoid hike backup in full sun.

One of the most beautiful hikes I have ever taken.

Excellent day hike for the well prepared. Beautiful scenery every step of the way. Be sure to get advanced info in drinking water availability, and always carry more than you need as many don't prepare well. : )

My husband and I (29/30 y/o regular runners) did this yesterday. We started at 7am and returned to the rim in 6 hours and 40 minutes with a lunch stop at Indian Garden. It was like nothing I have ever done. Amazing. Bring sunscreen, food, and water. Do not count on water being available on the trail. Start early to beat the heat and crowds.

We started our hike at 3:30 pm and reached the Plateau Point at 6 pm. We hung out there for an hour. We were crazy hiking back up in the dark, luckily we had our flash lights and head lamps.We started hiking back up around 7 pm and didn't finish until 10:20 pm. We were the only ones on the trail that night. When we got to the top, it was pretty windy and cold. You definitely need to drink lots of water, the climb back up is NOT EASY. Even though we were hiking at night, I suffered minor dehydration after we finished and left the park. This hike was very tough but it was a great experience. The view was well worth it!!

Useful Info:
1] There were three areas for people to take toilet breaks.
2] If you run out of water, there is a spot near the campground to refill. This is also the area for toilet breaks (3rd toilet break).
3] Drink lots of water before you climb back up!!

Plateau Point, a compulsory hike for all new folks on the BA.
Good turn around spot for Day hikers.

Plateau Point is stunning. You will not regret this trek.

Truly an epic Hike for me. I really wanted to touch the Colorado River but the extra 1000 feet of elevation would have been to much for me in one day (50 year old, moderately fit).

I started at 9:30am on 3/13 and it was a bit chilly. Top of the trail had a bit of muddy ice but was able to get around it. I chatted with a few people and had a great time. I reached Plateau Point at 12:00pm. After a few photos, water and a snack a headed off at 12:30pm.

The Hike back to Indian Garden is easy. Don't forget to drink a bunch there and fill up your water containers! From there it's 3000 feet of climbing.

Remember, there is ice cream and water at the top!

One of the best hikes I have ever been on. Started in the early morning with ice and snow on the ground [YakTrax recommended in winter] and hiked down the switchbacks. Stunning views of the Grand Canyon the entire way down until you reach the Indian Gardens campground, a breezy oasis with vegetation. Plateau Point overlooking the Colorado River is the grand reward for a solid hike down. Incredible views of the river with California Condors sometimes in sight soaring above. Very difficult trail with a tremendous elevation change. Not recommended in hotter times of year.

Unbelievable views from the point. Great up and down hike. Little wet and snow pack at top but never felt uncomfortable.

This hike was so much fun! We went in January and talked to a ranger at the visitor center that told us the hike was accessible but only if you had extra traction on your boots. So we went to the gift shop across the street and bought chains you slip over your boots. Thank goodness we did bc up until the three mile rest house the trail was covered in snow. After the rest house we followed the trail to the plateau which is easily seen. It was a long and steady down and back up hike. Worth the challenge.

Amazing views at the bottom. Definitely worth it to push past 3 mile house. Next time I think we will stay the night at Indian campground. A definite thumbs up!