Bright Angel Trail to Phantom Overlook to South Kaibab Trail

Bright Angel Trail to Phantom Overlook to South Kaibab Trail is a 18.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Grand Canyon Village, Arizona that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May.

Point to Point

We did this the loop in 11 hours Starting around 7:am South Kaibab Trailhead, we had thunder and lightning in the bottom, it was very scary . We stayed in Indian Gardens at least for an hour waiting the rain to stop . Park ranger told us be careful because trees down and some mud slides, in every turn amazing views and our prize a beautiful rainbow It was of the best hikes that I had done. Prepare physically and mentally and do it.

We hiked up bright angel after coming down via south kaibab

All I can say is this trail broke me I literally thought I couldn’t make it every time I looked up
The elevation gain along with my heavy backpack was enough to make me ache so much. The last 2 hours going up I was about ready to call it a day and sleep on trail lol it was that bad. It also gets pretty cold near the top so bring a jacket easy access

For us it wasn’t icy but still some scary parts of the trail with steep drops. It took us about 7 hours to reach the top from the river and luckily there was lots of shade. The trail before the steep climb was enjoyable and pretty all the way up to about Indian gardens. Don’t think I’ll ever do this one again

We took a free shuttle back to the backcountry permit office

Sunday, February 26, 2017

This is probably the easiest hike to experience the Grand Canyon. We did this in the summer (not such a good idea) but it was well worth it. Need plenty of water and sun screen and a fully charge phone to capture some amazing views.

Monday, January 09, 2017

Long and strenuous trail. Plan accordingly as it would take almost three times the strength to come back up. Lots of spots to rest and refill water. We were there in June and went done to Indian garden.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Beautiful

Monday, October 17, 2016

First time I saw the GC I looked at the bottom and said to myself "I have to go there...." It took a couple of years to find someone willing to go with me. My sons best friend Brian took off in 2006 on the trek with me. We actually did about 10 more miles than the description shows because it wouldn't let me log a 5 mile out and back hike past Phantom Point. We stayed at the Bright Angel campground for 2 nights. The GC is my favorite place to hike and I hope to go back . The views are the most incredible I've seen any place I've hiked. The 1st day we dropped in with shorts on with a few patches of snow on top in April. Within a half hour or so it was comfortable and we were ecstatic just taking in the views. We ate that night at Phantom Ranch and it was very good just talking to other hikers. We were surprised to observe that most of the serious hikers present were women from 50-80. Two ladies that we sat next to were in their mid 70's and had done 7 hikes lasting 4-10 days together in the canyon in the last two years!!! Awesome... The next day we gave our knees a rest and did about a 12 mile hike past Phantom Point and came out the following day from Bright Angel campground. The views in the canyon were incredible with clouds in the sky every day. Every corner you go around is a photo op. We took 100's of pics and I'll post a few later. Even if you had been somewhere already the next time you see it in a different light condition it's simply more beautiful than before... If you've ever thought about doing the GC don't hesitate. At that point in my life it was the best and most difficult multi day hike I'd done.... and it's still my favorite place to hike on the planet.

Friday, October 28, 2016