Bright Angel Trail to Bright Angel Campground and River Trail

Bright Angel Trail to Bright Angel Campground and River Trail is a 19 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Canyon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

lovely and hard trail, I started early, well before sunrise, but could've started even later, in December sun is low, so there isn't actually a lot of direct sunlight on the trail. Took me 6:20, last 3 miles were quite difficult, but I was pushing it as well. I had wonderful weather conditions, bright skies, no snow or ice on the trail.

Came up from Phantom Ranch to the south rim via Bright Angel. This was exhausting after hiking down the day before but I made it in 7 hours. Gorgeous views. Careful with the altitude change if powering up. It sneaks up on you.

My detailed review of the rim-to-rim hike which involved this trail for the ascent goes here: http://ashishb.net/all/rim-2-rimember-day-hiking-through-grand-canyon/

Very challenging but difficult hike! Be sure to move off trail or on the hillside(away from the cliff) when mules are coming your way! Water stops are only at Indian Gardens and Bright Angel Campground/Phantom Ranch as of 11-25-17. No water available at rest stops beforehand but vault toilets are open. Not a lot of crowds during November except for backpackers. Warning: If doing this in a day, bring a headlamp and start early!

Great hike, beautiful in the fall. Can be very hot in the summer months. Take plenty of water

Most difficult, but most rewarding and breathtaking day hike I’ve ever done. Do not do this hike unless you are very sure you’re in excellent shape because it’s a very difficult day hike.

The weather was perfect. I started from Phantom Ranch at 6:15. Arrived at the trail head at noon. There were fewer people than I have experienced previously. One of my best trips to the Grand Canyon.

One of the more difficult hikes I've done. We started out in the morning around 0800. We went in September so it was about 55 degrees. We got to Indian Wells just before 1000. Stopped for an hour there and ate lunch. When we got back on the trail to start our ascent it was near 85-90 degrees. There are 3 water full stations from Indian Wells to the rim. BE SURE TO USE THEM! It takes twice as long to get to the top, if not a little longer. Take advantage of the switch backs that fall in the shade to keep from overheating. There is never a dull moment or view on this hike! Added bonus that the "wild life" is highly entertaining.

It had its moments ! Some breath taking views. We did 30 some miles round trip. There where Some really nice spots to see. But the back packing was terrible. There where easily 20+ groups of campers in your camp! So many silly rules. The ranger made me take my water filter off a dead tree cuz he didn’t want branches to break wth!? It was just such a business. $160 for our wilderness permit too. I’m a Sierra hiker and love being in the wilderness ALONE or with few people. This will not be your experience here.

My two cent review.