Boynton Canyon Trail

Boynton Canyon Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 810 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Note: No bikes are allowed on this trail. Parking Fee: $5 Boynton Canyon is one of the popular trails in Sedona. If you like red rocks this would be one of the perfect hikes. Great views! The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. One of the "votex" points in Sedona, Boynton Canyon is popular for both locals and visitors.

Beautiful hike. The trail is in good shape and well marked. The first 1.3 miles parallels a resort, a distrator, but the area and the trail are scenic. The remaining trail is very nice, amazing views. I also did the short leg up to the Vista, well worth seeing the views from there.

We’re not EXACTLY novices but also not regular hikers. We would not rate this as “easy” given the rock scrambles - especially at the end! It was worth it, but unexpected given the rating. We started at 2:30 pm in October and it was not crowded at all! Great shade through the forest and magnificent views of the gorgeous rock of the canyon. We’d do it again, but with a clearer expectation!

We tried this trail years ago but turned back because of all the development in the first mile. It runs next to a resort and high-end neighborhood. Someone suggested that once you get past the development it’s a great trail. So we tried again and were happy we did. Beautiful. Shady with views of the Red Rocks. And the end of the trail has a nice spot to soak in the rays and scenery. We’ll definitely be back!

enjoyable hike. lots of shade. not as dynamic as many hikes in Sedona but still enjoyed it.

Easy trail great for running.

The parking lot was full, so we parked just down the road at the intersection. Saved moola, and a short walk from the trailhead. My son and I had a great hike. Lots of sun through the first two miles, but then you end up in a very shady forest. It’s a fairly easy climb until you get to the last section. Somewhat steep with lots of rock to climb. Don’t miss climbing on the ledge above where you think the trail ends. They are some of the best views looking back into the canyon.

After hiking many other trails around the Sedona area this one was out least favorite, mostly due to it being less in the wilderness. The hike followed along a resort and private homes. Noise from lawn mowers and mechanicals running reduced the enjoyment. However the scenery was still beautiful. Definitely go to the boynton vista spur, that was great.

I have done a lot of trails in Sedona. this was one I haven't done before. it has good signage, easy to get to, hard to get lost. $5 parking fee. views are ok, not better than other trails. the summit view is good not the best though. i think the best view is along the trail when you are walking alongside the mountain and near the resort area. the first half of the hike there is no shade and it feels warm. the second half there are tall trees with plenty of shade. by the last mile or so that's where the hike gets uphill and more difficult, other than that the hike is easy.

Hiked the trail in the late afternoon. The trail is partially sun exposed but much of the trail is tree covered. Gradual rise in altitude punctuated by a steep climb during the last half mile. Trail surface ranges from dirt to rocky dirt to sand. Surprised a rattle snake in a dry stream bed and was rewarded by a stern warning from the snake. All in all, rewarding hike and very nice views.

Hiked the trail this morning. Arrived early and there was ample parking and you can get a $5 pass at the kiosk with a credit card to leave on your dash. Only about five cars in the lot. The way out was mostly shade till near the end. On the way back the sun had risen and the last 1 1/2 miles was very hot. There are rocks to hike over, sandy areas, bugs (no mosquitos), 800 ft elevation at the latter part, and a scramble near the finish (when you get there, you're just about at the end of the trail.). I saw a deer and it's fawn grazing, a woodpecker pecking high up in a tree, and lots of gorgeous huge yellow and black butterflies that were floating and frolicking along the entire trail. Stunning views of red rocks above along the whole hike, beautiful photo taking. I liked that there was shade as I'm from the Bay Area and not used to the dessert heat in August. Though, I was a bit disappointed with the views at the end. Near the end the flute man gave me a "heart from Mother Earth" on the trail and said it was a symbol of unconventional love that we should pass on. As soon as he gave me the stone heart I knew who he was from the reviews. I unfortunately missed his flute playing. He told me he hikes and plays his flute daily.

This was an enjoyable hike. Started about 3PM. There are many open areas as well as canopied areas. It's a rather easy hike but it's worth it as you get to the base of the canyon before continuing on to the end. It's an out and back, so I recommend going to the Boyton Vista trail on your way back. The climb to the Vista is a little more of.a challenge but way worthwhile.

Pretty ... not too strenuous - well shaded through most of trail. To note, Entered from Enchantment Resort gate and we clocked the trail to actually be four miles roundtrip (this app, and both fitbits we are wearing) vs the 5-6 miles as described in various other publications.

Generously shaded. Bring your water and snacks for the end. Great quick hike for Enchantment Resort visitors.

Not sure why this is a moderate trail as it is quite easy terrain to navigate. The trail is easy to follow. If you are looking for some quiet time the first portion of the trail is filled with a noticeable humming noise arising from the resort adjacent to the first part of the trail. For kids who prefer climbing this may be too boring and long.

Easy trail, construction going on in the background which was a little distracting. Lucky enough to run into the “flute man” and received our handcrafted red rock heart with a special blessing.

Hiked 2 times 2018 and 2019. Very easy trail. You’ll meet “flute man” who hikes there everyday. He gave me his handcrafted heart shaped rock. It was so cute! You can see his playing the flute as well!

I hiked this a few years back and I agree with everyone, the end of the hike isn’t that great, nice yes, but no summit. Otherwise great exercise just watch for critters along the way.

I only did this trail to get to the vortex so i only did about 1 mile there and back. I loved climbing up the knoll (where the vortex is) and I was able to find a shady spot to sit and meditate. The resort generators/air conditioners were pretty loud but I was still able to enjoy it. A generous man showed up while I was sitting there and handed me a rock shaped like a heart saying it was mother earths offering. He then climbed to the top of the knoll and played his flute which made the whole experience that much more peaceful.

would not recommend. won't do when I come back again. boring trail, first mile is behind houses and a resort. lots of construction going on. Very easy. I don't like man made stairs. they're everywhere here. I'd advise against this. if you're looking for a hike, look elsewhere.

Wonderful hike! Really enjoyed the length.

Beautiful trail. I went early around 730 and the weather was perfect. A little challenging at parts and more so near the end. Beautiful views everywhere you turn.

Relatively easy to maneuver. Nice hike. Good for casual hiker

Overall, it is not a very interesting hike comparing to other hikes you can do in Sedona. I was a bit disappointed that there's no such thing as a summit at the end of trail, but still a pretty sight to behold.

Very nice trail, desert to woods, sand to rocks.

Actually went on 5/23 - it was raining and very cool, about 38. However had trail to ourselves. Great seeing the red rocks a bit shrouded in clouds. Be prepared for sticky mud when trail is wet. Easy hike, only 600 or so feet of elevation gain. Great views.

Flat and easy hike until the end when it got relatively steep and rocky. It gradually transitioned from a canyon trail to more of a forest trail but then opened up at the end to an amazing canyon view. I did this along with the Boynton Vista Trail (same trailhead) - fun morning hikes.

beautiful hike and some shade. moderate. lovely Sedona scenery.

Moderate hike with red rock on either side. Spectacular red rock along the hike which concluded with a disappointing end of trail sign.