Boynton Canyon Trail

Boynton Canyon Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Boynton Canyon is one of the popular trails in Sedona. If you like red rocks this would be one of the perfect hikes. Great views! The trail is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. One of the "votex" points in Sedona, Boynton Canyon is popular for both locals and visitors.

First hike in Sedona. Beautiful, but I'm looking for something that gets me to a higher view :)

Had the end of the trail all to ourselves on a Saturday morning- started around 8. Saw wildlife and wildflowers, the red rocks are breath taking. The first little bit along the resort is a little annoying with truck noise, but the rest was tranquil and peaceful.

Started at 9am. Cool and refreshing in the valley. Beautiful views of the canyon walls. The ‘resort’ part was not bad at all. Mostly hidden. In the distance the flute tones filled the valley. Very peaceful. The end and the ascent went well and the final ledge view was magnificent. The way back down became hot. Finished around 1 in blazing sun. Start early. Enjoyed by our group including two grade schoolers.

Enjoyed the canyon trail with a good mix of gentle and mildly challenging. The last push the the trail end is a bit more arduous, but the views are worth it.

Great trail

So yesterday, myself and my amazing dude/partner in crime/companion in living hiked around this trail. I say AROUND the trail, because no trail can contain our adventurous souls. We scrambled up some treacherous slopes to explore some ****classified**** and open our hearts while basking in the beautiful golden sun. We dissuaded and then encouraged each other to climb to the top of a towering spire, because we aspire to, and inspire each other to, live. Never be afraid to reach new heights, and make sure whoever you bring along will challenge and help you to do just that. Never be afraid to challenge and help that person in the same way as well. The birds flying through the canyon above will remind you how amazing it is to live free; the rich history of the natives will make you feel connected to the original way of life we come from- pure, simple, natural, brave. Watch out for Gila monsters and Godzilla lizards. After this hike, my skin is a shade darker, my heart is an ounce lighter, and my appreciation for this world, this place, and this human being is still immeasurable!
Do something today that someone like you would be inspired by.
If you’re not living, you’re dying.
WHATCHA GONNA DO?!
-lauren rose :-)

Very beautiful a few miles in.

Great hike beautiful

Beautiful hike. Terrain is varied-there are a few rocky portions. You are behind the Enchanment Resort for the first mile but then it is just woods and the gorgeous red rocks!

Beautiful views all around on pleasant hike. Parking can be hard to come by so start early

nice short easy hike, awesome views

This hike is fairly pretty, but ultimately we found it dull. The first 1/3-1/2 of the trail follows along the fence of a resort, which detracts a bit from the feeling of being out in nature. There were also many people on the trail at this point. Farther along, the trail becomes less crowded and has tall-ish vegetation along either side. The last 1/3 (approx. 1+ mile) of the trail goes into the forest and along the canyon wall and was completely shady and quite chilly the entire way. I was hoping that we'd come out into the sun at the end of the trail, but we never did. So, prepare for this last section by bringing layers. I was glad to have them, especially for the hike back.
To us, the end of the trail was not spectacular. There is a sign stating that you've reached the end, but it's not a particularly cool vista or a comfortable spot to sit.
This all may be different in the summer, when the coolness of the canyon feels wonderful or if the sun was shining into the canyon at the right time of the day. (We started around 11:30 am.) But, in February it was only so-so. Also, the elevation gain is largely imperceptible until the very end. So, if you'd like an easy, flat trail, this might be a nice choice. If you want a bit more elevation gain and vistas, I'd try somewhere else. I don't think we'd hike this trail again.

A great hike down in the canyon. It gets cool as you are down low and in the shade, we needed long sleeves for a good portion of it. Make sure to stop and look up at the red rocks, the view at the end is amazing! Relatively easy trail until the last the third of a mile or so, uphill is definitely worth the view! We did see some javelinas, keep your eyes open!

beautiful canyon and with changes in ecosystems along the way. hiking was easy until you reach the main summit point. then you had to crawl up and down steep rocks. epic views at the end!!!!! lots of bird chirping and activity. highly recommend this trail!

My favorite hike thus far in Sedona. The first mile or so is next to the resort and little thrills. Once you pass the resort, the vegetation grows higher and it quickly feels like you’ve left AZ for something farther north. At the end, it gets steep. So calm and magical I laid on my back for an hour looking up at the end of the trail.

Great trail! I would recommend bringing layers of jackets. It starts out in the sun but once you start getting into the canyon it gets cold. It wasn't very populated on a Saturday at 10am.

This was an amazing hike but challenging on hot days. It leads you to one of Sedona'many vortices. We definitely recommend it!

Loved it, all the way to the top !

Great hike with various trees and bushes. We saw javalinas and a hummingbird. We went early in the morning and saw only a few people the whole way to the end.

Nice hike though a wooded canyon. Last part is a brief steep climb that gets you to an excellent vista point

The energy is amazing, so are the views. don't forget to stand in front of the spiral trees- you will know when you feel the wind.

Beautiful scenery, good trails. Saw lots of birds and a small herd of mule deer.

It was beautiful...

If you can get past the resort being at your side for first mile and half, it is worth the effort to go all the way to the end for a spectacular view of the canyon. However, don't stop at the trails end or you will miss the best part. Head to the right along the rocky ledge and go until you can go no further. the view is amazing! Best place to sit and have lunch, no restaurant can offer better atmosphere.

Good for first of the season. Very well marked great views!

Fall colors are perfect today

We veered off at the vista and it has spectacular views ! A man played a flute at the top of a rock spire. Very sacred area and worth the time as it is beautiful and inspiring.

Easy hike, beautiful views!
That last .5 mile will get your heart rate up! Be careful, the plateau is a little slippery!

Was very pretty. A little close to the road on some spots but still great. Even took my dog and he liked it too. :)