Learn more

Boynton Canyon Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 810 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Note: No bikes are allowed on this trail. Parking Fee: $5 Boynton Canyon is one of the most popular trails in Sedona. If you like red rocks then this will be a perfect hike for you. The trail is great for hiking, features great views, and normally takes a half day. One of the "vortex" points in Sedona, Boynton Canyon is popular for both locals and visitors.

Gorgeous trail. Love the views. Just wear some big spray early in the am (we started just before 8am today). Very quiet- more traffic around 10-(11am but way too hot to start at that time (95+ degrees today).

Fun trail! Parking is credit card only, be mindful of that. We went around 8am and it wasn’t too crowded. Very shaded which was super refreshing! The end was gorgeous. About 3 hours and 6.7 total distance :)

fee

A nice hike with a good amount of shade.

Very pretty. This was my first hike in Sedona and it was a good introduction to the views but as a person who gets bored easily I’ve learned there are better hikes. However, the views are great and the second half takes you through a wooden shaded area. Overall it was pretty flat.

fee

Beautiful trail with lots of shade. Gets busy fast, get there early. Look around the canyon as you hike. You might be surprised at what you see

easy hike. 2.5 hrs round trip. I didn't think the end was overly impressive but with a good amount of shade a good option if looking for something closer to the afternoon. Bring at least 32oz of water and good hiking shoes.

Gorgeous hike. Nice stroll through red rocks, ponderosa pines, and dry creek bed bottoms. Little climb at the end to a gorgeous canyon overlook. Save this one for a hot day since a majority of it is shaded. We finished around 11:00 and it looked like it was getting busy. Lovely special place!

Beautiful, peaceful trail. More like a long walk until end where you start gaining elevation climbing rocks to get to the most peaceful part of Boynton Canton with spectacular views. Best to go early while it’s cool, shaded and less people on trail. Don’t forget to look up at the red rocks along the path- so serene through the trees.

Incredible trail!!

Lots of shade! Beautiful views but you have to remember to look up and around. We enjoyed the varied terrain. We started at 6 am and there were a lot of mosquitoes and bees. Coming back down, there were less bugs.

fee

Probably one of my favorite hikes that I’ve done in Sedona. It’s nice and long, offers a lot of shade once you get past the first mile or so. Beautiful views of the red rocks. We didn’t see any snakes or other wildlife however we did have someone warn us of a rattle snake up ahead at one point. We didn’t end up seeing anything. Very manageable inclines, slightly rocky in some areas but I’d say it’s more easy than moderate as far as difficulty goes. It’s a long trail and pretty hot in the summer, just bring lots of water!

This trail is heavily used, especially on Memorial Day weekend. We passed a lot of people in the morning and even more people in the early afternoon. Loved that it offered a ton of shade from the hot sun. The inclines were super manageable. The last bit is where it gets super steep. Was a bit disappointed that the last part of the trail was closed -- felt like we didn't get that great of a view for all of that work. Was a nice warm-up hike, but there are other hikes with a lot better views in the area. This is a great trail if you just want to be in nature / trees and shade. As other reviewers have said, the first mile or so is along a string of resorts. There's also much less shade during this part than the rest of the trail. The parking lot was completely full by 8am and a lot of the street parking was full also. With our walk from the street, our hike totaled closer to 7 miles. Get there early!

fee

This trail is a great long trail. Starting off on a sand pathway pretty much all the way throughout going into the wedded area (great shade). Gets a little steep at some points but just take your time and nothing any level can’t do. As your making your way up you have beautiful butterflies checking you out as you go. Lots of bees but pay no mi d to them and they don’t bother. Then you hike up a steep rock step and come to the “End of Trail” sign. As I didn’t even notice till I turned around and saw an AMAZING view of Boynton canyon. Sat on the rock and just took it all in. On the way back we ventured off the path and discovered some beautiful views after climbing the rock to a higher elevation. But that is a secret!

if you start early, this is a nice shaded trail. great views. loved it

fee

This is a good 7 mile trail for someone looking for small challenges from an easy trail. There is a short scramble to get out of the canyon in the last .1 mile, there is a good incline for the last .5 miles with some rocks. Mostly shaded with some wildflowers (four vein daisy, blue larkspur, nodding thistle) and blooming deerbrush, NM locust, and manzanitas. Once you get past the resort (lasts for the first 1 mile), you are surrounded by canyon walls on 3 sides with pines and oaks all around. Lovely! Red rock pass available at the trailhead.

Nice and shady. A little more people than I prefer but everyone was nice.

fee

My step count showed just over 7 miles. Great hike for summer as it is mostly in the shade. It won’t open up to the canyon until a steep yet short rock scramble at the very end. Very peaceful. Lots of birds and flowers (May). Take the short vista trail, too! Turn off at the start of the trail

fee

Absolutely beautiful trail. the first part of the trail runs along a resort but once you get past that it's very peaceful. The first part of the trail feels easy but it does start to get harder. the very last part you do a bit of climbing up but it wasn't too crazy. I was wearing brand new hiking shoes so I feel like it felt harder than it really was because my shoes weren't broken in. I highly recommend this trail. oh we did see a snake on the trail it was pretty cool.

Good hike during hot sunny days. Shady. Narrow path, good view at the end.

Beautiful hike

This trail exceeded my expectations, such a beautiful trail full of red rocks and trees so many trees. I can’t wait to go!

Did this and the Vista trail. Nice hike a little rocky at the end but not bad. Parking lot was full had to park Down the road.

did this hike with my gf and our 4 kids, it was a very good hike with very good views, the only issues I found is its not very kid friendly at the top of the trail due to barely any area to relax and take in the view and weather... it also was not 6 miles at least according to my watch, we got 7.1 miles

This roundtrip hike takes almost 3 hours which includes a lunch break and photos (up top). The last half of the hike actually has a lot of shade so it's a great hike if you encounter a real hot day in Sedona. This hike is a good hike but not as great or as challenging as other hikes in the area. We did it because we've been here for eight days and have hiked everyday. So if you're here for a long weekend and want great views and challenging hikes than pick a different trail.

Very beautiful out and back. I’ve hiked to the vortexes here before but never did the actual canyon trail. Pretty flat for the first bit then mild and gradual incline on the last end up with views overlooking down in the canyon. Part of this hike was in the forest with lots of shade. We saw a rather large corn snake cross the trail in front of us, tons of lizards and lots of bugs. Lots of cactus and wildflower blooms on this trail now too!

Took the off shoot to Boynton trail up to the top of peaks. Very windy day with no gps signal. Beautiful views all around.