Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Boynton Canyon Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 810 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Note: No bikes are allowed on this trail. Parking Fee: $5 Boynton Canyon is one of the most popular trails in Sedona. If you like red rocks then this will be a perfect hike for you. The trail is great for hiking, features great views, and normally takes a half day. One of the "vortex" points in Sedona, Boynton Canyon is popular for both locals and visitors.

Nice and shady. A little more people than I prefer but everyone was nice.

fee

My step count showed just over 7 miles. Great hike for summer as it is mostly in the shade. It won’t open up to the canyon until a steep yet short rock scramble at the very end. Very peaceful. Lots of birds and flowers (May). Take the short vista trail, too! Turn off at the start of the trail

fee

Absolutely beautiful trail. the first part of the trail runs along a resort but once you get past that it's very peaceful. The first part of the trail feels easy but it does start to get harder. the very last part you do a bit of climbing up but it wasn't too crazy. I was wearing brand new hiking shoes so I feel like it felt harder than it really was because my shoes weren't broken in. I highly recommend this trail. oh we did see a snake on the trail it was pretty cool.

Good hike during hot sunny days. Shady. Narrow path, good view at the end.

Beautiful hike

This trail exceeded my expectations, such a beautiful trail full of red rocks and trees so many trees. I can’t wait to go!

Did this and the Vista trail. Nice hike a little rocky at the end but not bad. Parking lot was full had to park Down the road.

did this hike with my gf and our 4 kids, it was a very good hike with very good views, the only issues I found is its not very kid friendly at the top of the trail due to barely any area to relax and take in the view and weather... it also was not 6 miles at least according to my watch, we got 7.1 miles

This roundtrip hike takes almost 3 hours which includes a lunch break and photos (up top). The last half of the hike actually has a lot of shade so it's a great hike if you encounter a real hot day in Sedona. This hike is a good hike but not as great or as challenging as other hikes in the area. We did it because we've been here for eight days and have hiked everyday. So if you're here for a long weekend and want great views and challenging hikes than pick a different trail.

Very beautiful out and back. I’ve hiked to the vortexes here before but never did the actual canyon trail. Pretty flat for the first bit then mild and gradual incline on the last end up with views overlooking down in the canyon. Part of this hike was in the forest with lots of shade. We saw a rather large corn snake cross the trail in front of us, tons of lizards and lots of bugs. Lots of cactus and wildflower blooms on this trail now too!

Took the off shoot to Boynton trail up to the top of peaks. Very windy day with no gps signal. Beautiful views all around.

Liked this trail a lot. Trail is mix of packed sand and stones. I’d say if you walk in halfway (to where the houses stop) you’ve seen the best scenery and it’s ok to turn around. The rest of the trail has just ok scenery until the very end when you scramble up the rocks to the top of a canyon. That view is very nice. I’d also recommend the Vista trail spur near the beginning for a great view!

Really great trail! One of my favorites of Sedona so far, and I've done all the classics. Downside is hiking along the resort for the first 1/4-1/3 of the trail, but the gorgeous forest you get to after is totally worth it. Lots of wildflowers blooming in early May. Make sure to get started early- we started around 9 and finished around 12:30 (with a quick nap/lunch at the top). The last mile back to the parking is pretty exposed and was brutal in the sun, even though temps were only around 85. Will definitely be back in the fall!

Great trail. Easy, walkable path for majority, with elevation gains at the end. Diverse scenery (canyon, to forrest) with a magnificent view at the end! A bit crowded on the weekend, but well worth the visit

lovely trail..west to vista view first..be sure to stop and smell the desert and mountains..took our dog and he loved it. In and out of sun perfect mix. Trail was becoming packed as we left at 9am..

Very scenic hike, offering both open views of the sky and canyon walls above, and a shaded canopy of trees. Nothing too difficult about the trail or terrain. It was very green this time of year (late April). Currently, it's one of the few popular trails that is open due to social distancing (COVID-19)

fee

Beautiful hike, but the first mile and a half are along the boundary of a private resort, making it not as peaceful as it should be. Once you get into the canyon, it's beautiful.

fee

$5 fee to park at the trailhead entrance- worth it. Gorgeous views along the way and relatively easy hike until the last 5-10 min. Can explore the cliffs off to the right for incredible canyon views and a great place to enjoy a snack. You can also access a vortex off the trail- take the vista trail about 10-15 min in. Pretty busy in the afternoon but less traffic in the morning. PLEASE keep AZ beautiful fellow hikers- there was trash and dog feces along the way :(

So so so pretty! Was sprinkling a nice mist when we got to the back of the canyon. Awesome clouds made for some epic pictures. Also surprisingly ran into Gina from Culinary in the middle of the quarantine on this trail we just found and picked on a whim. Coincidences. The first insight. Wow.

recorded Boynton Canyon Trail

Steel drop off/cliff. But wonderful.

Surprised at the views on the top.

Parking lot full (and fee machine broken anyway). I parked on the street about a quarter mile away (the immediate surrounding area has no parking signs). If you like red rocks I definitely recommend this hike. I kept stopping to take photos because it was so beautiful. There was some shade along the route which was nice. It was a relatively easy trail and easy to follow. There were some areas of rock scrambling but not many. The majority of the climb was right at the end. The views at the end were beautiful and there were only about 10 people up there, but unfortunately some of those people were a group of teens aged/college kids that were a bit obnoxious so I didn’t spend much time up there.

fee

Parking lot full but only 4 other people at the end on the canyon trail. Mostly dry. I’m 51 and haven’t exercised all winter. Was a little tough but worth it.