Boyce Thompson Arboretum Main Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(157)
Boyce Thompson Arboretum

Boyce Thompson Arboretum Main Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Superior, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 127 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

fee

NOTE: There is a $15 fee for this park.

fee

Beautiful plants, flora and landscape. Trails are marked very clearly, reccomend to hike the full loop. Shaded in some areas, not much uphill walking, great for birdwatching as well. $15 fee per person. Restrooms available, bring your own water & snacks especially if doing the full loop. Great spot for families.

Beautiful. Loved exploring this place. So many unique things to see along the way.

Went on 4-7-20. Beautiful trail. So many plants and trees to look at. I would call this more of a walk than a hike. The creek was running. We saw lots of birds and butterflies. Some areas are very shaded, but some areas offered no shade. It’s worth the $15 dollars and the hour and a half drive from Phoenix.

Definitely suggest the guided tour along wirh this one

One of my favorite spots on earth. Always a nice walk, excellent for pictures.

Easy loop.

Absolutely beautiful! As others have said, it is worth the $15 fee. The trail is super easy and allows you all the time and space you need to fully enjoy the wonder around you. Unfortunately, the high trail was under construction, so we only got to experience the main trail. It did not disappoint, but we were hoping to explore more.

fee

I’ve been to several arboretums but this by far is the most beautiful one. The trail is easy and the fauna and floral is most breath taking. Well worth the fee.

fee

This place is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! An easy walk suitable for all ages and abilities (wheelchair accessible) and the collection of desert plants from all over the world is 2nd to none. As a professional horticulturist I was blown away by the plants, trees and gorgeous mountain setting. Well worth the $15 adult admission.

closed

Super simple trail, but totally worth it. Doesn’t feel like you’re in Arizona. It’s absolutely breathtaking. I ended up picking up a season pass so I can visit more frequently!

1-17-2020. Enjoyed a mid morning easy hike on a beautiful scenic trail! Queen Creek River was flowing, Trail to waterfall was closed. Worth the $15.00 admission. Plenty of parking, washrooms and gift shop.

Park is absolutely amazing. It was our first time there today and we will definitely be back. Great place to allow people who cannot hike in the mountains to feel like they are. Of note; While the majority of the park is wheelchair accessible, you cannot make the entire loop in a wheelchair. There is a section by the creek where a wheelchair will not fit. We found this out the hard way today as we had my mother-in-law and disabled son both in wheelchairs.

fee

Absolutely beautiful! Can’t wait to go back and do it again, we went on high trail and loved it. So many different landscapes and terrain

Nice park, but this was a bit of a bust for me. I did it after Picketpost Mountain due to the proximity, and because I knew this was a State Park and I have the yearly pass. Wrong - apparently it is not a State Park anymore, so I had to pay $15 to get in... which was a bit steep for a quick 1 mile stroll, even though it was an enjoyable one with nice views. If I had brought the kids and a lunch basket and spent 4 hours there I would have felt better about it.

My new fave. Very zen

Wed May 29 2019

Perfect weather, entertaining and easy with small children and a puppy. We loved it and plan to repeat.

Mon May 20 2019

very relaxing hike. Great getaway

Thu May 16 2019

I escaped today for a fantastic hike along the High Trail (less populated than the central gardens) at Boyce Thompson Arboretum. This is a favorite, no-stress get-away. With just a little water in the stream the birds were nonetheless singing to their mates. I found hummingbirds and cardinals feeding babes in their nests. The Harris Hawk pair was industriously building their nest. The Vireo were scolding me to stay away from theirs. Wonderful. The huge list below isn’t exhaustive, but gives a good idea of the bountiful bird variety! I posted a few of my favorite photos. Boyce has one of the richest environments —fauna and especially flora—near the Phoenix Valley. Plus, it’s just plain jaw-dropping beautiful. Small fee to enter. Species seen: Vermilion flycatcher Aberts Towhee male and female Northern cardinal Hooded oriole Lesser Goldfinch Verdin Canyon Wren House finch Gambel’s Quail Western Tanager Plumbeous Vireo Black-tailed Gnatcatcher Phainopepla Gila Woodpecker Western Kingbird Curvebilled Thrasher Cactus Wren Black Phoebe Tree Swallow Bell’s Vireo Red shouldered hawk black headed grosbeak

Sat Mar 30 2019

Great hike, so much to see. Jim was an excellent guide.

Sat Feb 09 2019

It was such a nice day today. I would recommend paying the entrance fee. Nice pleasant walks surrounded with plants. Several shaded areas. I can’t wait to go back in the spring when the plants are in bloom. Many thanks to C for making it a special day

Wed Jan 02 2019

Beautiful today especially with the snow views

Sat Dec 29 2018

Did this hike last month but forgot to log it. Love this Arboretum. So beautiful. I like learning about the desert landscape.

Wed Dec 19 2018

Nice walk can’t wait to go back in the spring to see the the flowers in bloom

Fri Nov 30 2018

The $15 entrance fee (adult) is well worth it, as is the drive to Boyce. The weather was perfect today & the fall colors are mesmerizing. A person could spend all day here, there's so much to see -- and plenty of benches throughout the park to just sit & relax. The trails are well marked so you can't get lost, except in the beauty of your surroundings. I would highly recommend Boyce, especially for people who want a "hike" but nothing strenuous or overly taxing.

Fri Sep 21 2018

Lovely walk/ trail for families or the less adventurous. I'd pick a crazy backcountry hike over a paved path any day, but I was still able to really enjoy this. There's a big enough variety in plants and scenery to keep it interesting. My mom can hardly walk on flat ground without being in pain, and she was able to do this ok.

Sun Sep 16 2018

A perfect get away from the city. Kid and elderly friendly!