Box Spring Trail

Box Spring Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Lemmon, Arizona that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Tucson: Trailhead access is from the Catalina Highway about 100 to 150 yards uphill from the Spencer Canyon turnoff (in the vicinity of milepost 22). The lower end of the trail can be reached via the Sabino Canyon Trail #23 and East Fork Trail #24A.

This one is no joke. The first couple of miles is cake before the turnoff. The second portion of the trail is no longer maintained and it shows. It's a dangerous hike down to the spring. Very steep in parts, lots of fallen trees across the trail and it eventually disappears into boulders. There are plenty of markers along the way that people have left. The climb out, and it is certainly a climb in parts, is tough as well. Expect to get scratched up and down. If you're adventurous enough, it's worth it. The spring at the bottom is beautiful and you're almost certain to be the only one down there.

Beautiful hike in the pines! The trail is mostly shaded, about 75%. There was some running water in the base of the trail once I hiked in a bit. After 1.8 miles in I made the turn off the main trail but the side trail (#22A) was so overgrown it was hard to follow. I tried to bushwhack my way down to the spring but ended up with a nasty scrap from a tree branch I didn't see under some overgrowth. I turned around not too long after I got off the main trail. The Park Ranger at the Palisades Visitor Center told me that the side trail to the spring is no longer maintained. It has too many fallen trees and overgrowth and they've decided to let it go. Wish I would have made it down to Box Spring but it was still a beautiful hike!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

not great for running. overgrown and scratchy. much better scenery elsewhere nearby

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Sunday, October 16, 2016

I enjoyed the trail up until the bend where the trail is overgrown. I didn't want to go through all that so I turned around. Nice and shady trail. Very quiet as well.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Sunday, July 31, 2016

This trail was great to start off with as it follows the Box Camp trail which a well kept wide and well traveled track. However things changed after we made the 90 degree turn off the Box Camp trail and headed toward the creek. After about 1/3 of a mile this portion get very narrow almost overgrown (although apparently this is way better than the trail has been) and extremely steep (where we would have to slide down the rocks). We did not make it to the creek because the going was so rough.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Monday, July 25, 2016

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Monday, May 23, 2016

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Nice trail. Shady and cool up by the trailhead and gets steadily warmer as you get lower in elevation. We followed previous hikers recommendations and only hiked about 2.5-3 miles down the trail before heading back to avoid the summer heat. Beautiful pine forests at the beginning and absolutely stunning views of the mountains and valley below once you break the tree line. Moderate to low traffic based on our experience, definitely a good choice if you want to avoid the more popular spots.

Friday, August 14, 2015