Boulder Canyon Trail

Boulder Canyon Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,817 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great trail with great views

This was a wonderful trail and really tired us out... The way back is up which made it more difficult. It is about 2 more miles than it lists. The trail was hard to find at times. Pack bug spray too. No snakes out at all in October. Remember to buy a pass and if you get there very early you can go through the gate at the main station but you have to go in the exit as the in gate is closed. Or you can drive down the street and park in the boat parking lot.

Great hike. I was the first on the trail and only saw a few people once you got deep into the wilderness. Beautiful views and a great workout. I saw one young bighorn sheep on my way back. That made my hike worth the early rise.

Not too difficult, rocky, well defined path with minimal signage. Trekking poles recommended but most hikers did not have any. No shade, but spectacular views. Well worth it!

Great trail with a ton of views! I went mid October and at the dried up boulder canyon I came across several snakes so be careful. But no complaints! A really enjoyable hike

10-2-19 Sunrise Hike. 3rd time on this trail and always enjoy the stunning views. We were the only Hikers from 6-11:30 which was awesome! Only wildlife spotted today were lizards and a bunny. Great workout...last mile is tough! No Fees when parking in Dolly Steamboat/Marina, bathroom on site. Enjoy and bring at least 3L water, snacks and electrolytes:).

More difficult than I remember (May be age). Varying elevations and beautiful views but come prepared its not easy.

Trail head is taped off and says it’s closed. Park ranger says this trail and all trails around, including the Flying Dutchman area, may remain closed till August. Ended up doing Wave Cave...trails in that area are open despite AllTrails saying they are closed.

This was my 2nd Hike and I loved it, the views are breathtaking. It says hard, but I felt it to be moderate, and I'm average on being physically fit. But I love the outdoors so I was inspired. bring plenty of water and a small snack, hardly no other hikers were around, so it allowed u to really be at one with nature. Overall, great hike and experience! I highly recommend!!! Oh, and do the drive thru of the mountains...IDK, but it took 2 hrs, but amazing and beautiful!

Beautiful trail with beautiful views of canyon lake, weaver’s needle, and battleship mountain. A strenuous hike but not too hard.

Beautiful hike! I was completely alone. Make sure to start early. Watch out the last mile for rattlesnakes! Take it slow. My friend almost got a heart attack by almost stepping on one.

Great trail, 360 views of Four peaks, Supes, Weavers. You work for it on the way back.

Trail is easily marked. There are some parts that are over grown and you might lose the trail but it was easily found again by using GPS.

My favorite trail for the spectacular views. Lots of flies/gnats so that was a bit annoying. Didnt see any snakes, but we didn't make it all the way to the creek. We talked to a girl who took the trail to the creek and she saw two. Very challenging hike bc of the steep inclines but well worth it.

PLEASE WATCH FOR SNAKES! Second water and Boulder Canyon are littered with rattle snakes right now; especially by the water. Be overly cautious out there. That said, with all the rain everything is in bloom and beautiful. Enjoy!

Hike was challenging to start then more leisurely towards the middle and end. I was slightly disappointed with the turnaround point as there wasn’t a “ta da” moment, but the trail overall was beautiful and I would recommend to anyone looking for a longer hike. I suggest going as early as possible as there is no shade, but there is a lake nearby to cool down afterwards.

This hike was INCREDIBLE!!!! The views are breathtaking and the desert life is inspiring. Challenging and beautiful.

Tried to hike it this morning and ran into 3 RATTLESNAKES in 10 minutes right along the trail. So bad that we had to turn around and couldn’t hike the trail. Too bad as we were looking forward to the beautiful views and hike.

Really enjoyed this trail. Didn't do the whole hike today, it's hot! Great views of lake and weavers needle.

Great trail, great views! Bring water as it is already heating up early.

Path is easy to follow..... slight climb to start the hike but nothing much. Good views on Canyon Lake to start, then you start to see Weevers Needle. Lots of flowers and lizards when I went. Very few people as you get out farther. Cell phone service is gone once Canyon Lake views are gone(for you city slickers). Tonto Pass is needed for parking....there are spots to park without the pass, but if us locals told you...those spots might not be there when we want to use them.

Awesome hike!! Absolutely amazing views!!

One of the prettier hikes I’ve been on. I would agree with it’s difficult rating, for it can get fairly steep at points and you’re exposed to the sun most of the time. There are a few water crossings (depending on how far you go,) but they weren’t difficult to cross without getting (too) wet. The views of Four Peaks, Weevers Needle, and Battleship are breath taking. We saw a few cardinals, LOTS of lizards, and even a Gila monster, which I’ve never seen one in the wild before. Keep in mind you do have to have a pass to park. You can purchase one at Canyon lake for $12 dollars.