Boulder Canyon Trail

Boulder Canyon Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Started at Canyon Lake and hiked about 7 miles in until I needed to turn back due to time constraints. Well-marked trail with rock cairns but there was no obvious “end”. The best views were in the first half of the hike; the second half was still interesting but was lower down. Very few people, pretty hot (some nice breezes, though), parking across the street at the marina, and really only moderate in terms of difficulty.

Went for the first time today. One of my new favorite hikes.

Not too difficult for me, but still a good workout. Pretty long hike so go prepared.

Only did 2.5 miles in. There are great views on this hike! You can see the weavers needle on several spots for great pictures and Canyon Lake. First mile is up hill, 2nd mile and half some up and downs with loose gravel. Will return to see how far we can do next time!

Hard! Okay so originally we were gonna do the Boulder Canyon hike, which is 4.8 miles. But we couldn't find that. We could only find Boulder Canyon TRAIL, which is much longer. So we hiked this one, and since we didn't know we were going on such a long hike, we actually only went about 2.5 miles in. It goes up and down, up and down, so it's hard the whole time! Fun but challenging. I love how you can see Canyon Lake from the top!

Great trail. Enjoy

I love Boulder Canyon Trail- it’s a great hike and the views are incredible!

Correctly rated ‘Hard.’ Another beautiful day, breezy at times...

rocky, hard hike. need really good hiking shoes.

Love this trail. I started a bit later in the day, so I only hiked to La Barge. Trail climbs straight away a little over 1,000 ft in elevation from the trailhead and then quickly descends into La Barge. Even though I only made it that far, it was a fantastic and challenging hike, about 6 and a half miles round trip. Absolutely beautiful and dramatic views to boot, a good day hike through and through.

coming back was a breeze one we realized where the trail was. note to self: cross the wash don't follow it

one of my favorites in the area! the beautiful views are really worth checking out!

Absolutely gorgeous!

We did a short thru hike from the Peralta Trailhead to Dutchman Trail to Boulder Canyon Trailhead. We camped at Second Water Spring and continued on to Canyon Lake (17 miles total) the next day.
We hiked for 9 miles from Fremont Saddle with no water in sight until we reached Second Water Spring (fortunately we had decided to carry 5 liters each, so we had enough for a late November hike), we refilled our water containers before breaking camp. We, again, didn't find any water until we arrived at Canyon Lake. Boulder Canyon is a great trail, but many sections are definitely difficult due to the terrain, incredibly tight, undermanaged trails and you need to have hawkeye vision to find all the cairns when crisscrossing the streambed to make sure you stay on trail.
The views are terrific whether you are up high or are walking along the canyon floor.

Beautiful trail. Great views of Battleship mountain and weavers needle.

Beautiful hike of moderate difficulty. Very rocky climb up to a ridge then down to the stream bed. Gorgeous panoramic views! Stunning rock faces. The stream was dry (November) with our dog getting lots of stickers in her paws when hiking near the stream bed. No shade after 1hour post-sunrise so I wouldn’t do this one in summer without careful thought. The best part was the climb up the ridge before descending into the canyon— that would make a wonderful 5 mile round trip with approx 1200 feet of climbing.

loved this trail! so far it is one of my favorites in the area. It is so beautiful with the lake view! not sure I would rate as hard although I didn't have time to make it to the end so it could get harder?

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Because the awesome views are towards the beginning of the hike, the rest of it was just not worth it to me.

Even in February this was a HOT hike.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Considering my boyfriend and I went at like 9:45am and as you all probably know it was already hot as hell lol either way the view up and at the top is phenomenal and if your are lucky enough to get some time in the water after it's the perfect combination for a summer getaway in the AZ heat!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Full sun hike. Very difficult. Bring snacks and a water bladder. Lots of sunscreen and a hat. The trail does cross over a creek and so my shoes got soaked. Not a problem but good to know. Amazingly beautiful and green with wild flowers in February when we went. Very hot and exerting even in February due to difficulty rating and full sun.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

such amazing views. early morning is probably best for this hike because there's very little to no shade. also take plenty of water. but don't let that stop you from going. it's completely worth the hike.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

This is one of my favorite places to hike in the valley because it's usually quiet in the canyon and the views are so beautiful. I've done this trail at least 5 times and always want to bring someone new with me to experience it. Always have more than enough food and water when doing this hike because there's lots of inclines and very little shade.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

was a nice hike, nothing hard about the trail, nice gradual hills, nothing strenuous, nice scenery, little stream added to make for a nice walk in the park!!
not much shade, so come summer, it'll be hot!!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Awesome hike including a great drive in, parking can be tough but there is a lot right next to the trailhead which is also a RV/camping/restaurant parking. Great views and well marked trail however, when you come to the location that contains what looks like an old foundation with a fireplace nestled in a cave do not go straight go right. If you go straight you'll eventually find yourself overshooting into the stream but there are cairns to backtrack on.

Friday, March 03, 2017

This is arduous but so worth it! The views around every turn change and amaze. Many flowers in bloom, but in a week or two this Trail will be ablaze in color.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Amazing views! You can see weavers needle and way down into the canyons. And if you don't feel like making the whole trek it's fine! There are so many viewing points along the way!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Beautiful trail! Tough at the start due to a constant climb but once we got past that we were rewarded with amazing views.

Friday, February 10, 2017

The actual trail isn't always obvious. Also at times there is a separate path that eventually dead ends. There were several times I had to backtrack and take the other path. Lastly if you do make it to the river then carefully note where the path is because with all of the plant growth it can be hard to see. I made the mistake of not carefully noting it and had a little trouble finding it on the return trip. I normally wouldn't have an issue because I always use a GPS app when I go hiking. Unfortunately because there was no cell signal it didn't keep track of my path. Just a bad app in my opinion. Anyways, I just wanted to mention that so people were aware. I had a few moments of fear when I couldn't locate the path. on one of the river crossings I saw someone put up a ribbon on both sides to mark the path. Very simple and effective and something I will eventually add to my backpack.