Boulder Canyon Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tortilla Flat, Arizona that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,817 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I loved this hike. Parking is limited, so I would go early. Saw very few people which is good. Maybe one of the most scenic hikes I’ve done at the Superstition Mountains. If you are active you can do this..the trail is clearly marked, and it is wide. Its a lot of uphill going in and going out. Def snake country, and we talked to a couple hikers that saw one( not a rattlesnake), but it’s the desert, so just be mindful and aware. Where the trail ends is so gorgeous, it’s a must see.

This is a tough hike. Some of the most beautiful scenery I have seen in a long time!! Going out, there are lots of big rocks, trail is wide and easy to follow as I ascended the mountain. A bit steep but no problem. Started down the back side to enter the canyon of LaBarge Creek, and it quickly became gravel and sand. So be careful. Obviously, just incredible views! And windy & cool until I hit the bottom where the creek was. No breezes there and quite warm. A little confusing once I got to the creek because there is quite a bit overgrown brush (I cringed, hoping not to find a snake!). Do NOT, do NOT go down to this creek in a rain or immediately after one!! It is a large creek bed, and you would be overweight with the amount of water that would obviously come through there! Beautiful creek area. Saw small pools with green algae. Hiking back out, OMG! That trek back was tough because of the switchbacks on that first mountain. It is every bit the bear I have read about in my hiking books. (Did not realize this coming down it.) it was steep almost all the way to the first 1.2 miles! I got overheated. (I hiked from 7am-2:30pm). I’m 71, so I am a bit slower than most folks. Never saw a snake. Only met 3 people on the trail. No cell phone reception in parts. I want to do this again in the fall/winter. I actually loved it because of the scenery and the challenge. You do need to be in shape though. I hike from the marina to Second Water.

Only did about 2 miles ran into a another hiker who advised me it wouldn’t be a good idea to finish the hike because of got how hot it was in the afternoon , due to the heat and throbbing migraines and uncomfortable fitted backpack I didn’t finish, it was a great work out and Hooghly I believe I could of finished it either way just wasn’t in the right mood. Also remember if your hiking at this time of the year in May bring lots of water salty and sugary snacks and good shoes.

Beautiful views!! Parking along the side of the road by the marina. Saw 1 other person

Another great trail. It’s an in and out trail. That was a surprise to me. I’m sure it was up hill both ways. Lots of great off trails to stop at. Make sure you take the hike to the river. It is beautiful if the water is flowing and worth the effort.

Beautiful scenery. Great hike. I stayed at 6 miles due to encountering more hikers, the later it got. And o started my hike at 7:30 am. Saw a couple of people on horses, even though the trail says no horses but they didn’t bother me. Take good traction shoes as there are lots of spots with lose dirt.

Hiked on 4/4/20. Beautiful hike. Gets tough on your way back out for about a mile. If you try to do the loop, be aware of over grown brush/grass. Stopped at a backpacking campsite to the side of the trail and my dog ended up getting bit by a rattlesnake. Thank you to the women who was able to pin down the snake with her hiking stick. Chewy was able to run over to me with only one bite. He is in recovery now and doing well.

The views are amazing. The farther you go the better it gets. Started the hike at 7am and only saw 2 other people. On the way back saw a lot more people. So if you’re like me and like more seclusion start early. Flowers were in full bloom. Definitely recommend it!

Almost no one else on this trail. Very scenic. Usually like to sprint to work up a sweat but i ran into a rattle snake right away in the middle of the day and then chose to go at a laid back pace. Be cautious!

Beautiful hike located across from Canyon Lake Marina and campgrounds. We stayed at the campground and could walk to trail head in 5 minutes. Scenic views, little shade, trail is easy to follow but steep climbs before descending into the bottom of the canyon. This is one of my favorites but would recommend hiking cooler weather. Wear good shoes and take plenty of water. We hiked it Sunday 8am it was warm in the direct sun but the wind started blowing and it helped.

recorded Boulder Canyon Trail

Tough hike back out, but had to go back on a blistering pace because the dog was bit by a rattlesnake. Dog is fine. Be careful

Did this last week and it was beautiful! We went about 4 miles out and back which will get you down into the canyon to the first stream crossing. Very rocky with lots of boulders but the views are amazing. The hike out of the canyon will get the lungs burning though and make the first 2.5 miles look easy.

what amazing views no matter where you are on the trail. we had a perfect day, slightly overcast with a nice breeze. made it all the way down to the water and it was beautiful. be prepared for lots of up and down, but it is worth every step!!

This trail was great! It was definitely a moderate level. I went 4 miles out then turned around. It was a lot of up and down, which was fine, except when you forget that you will have to do all those uphills on the way back... miles 4.5-6.5 were pretty tough, I did not realize the elevation difference on the way down. But I loved the entire hike!! awesome views!!

14km, had lunch at a perfect little spot on the smooth rocks in the canyon on the river (?). Gets a little tricky once you get down to the riverbed, but when you start to think you should turn around, keep going. There’s no true end to it but you’ll find the good little lunch spot about 7km in. Go past all the camping spots. Into the red rock, and then you’ll come out on the other side. The views are worth absolutely every step. You’re gonna have to work for them though, but they’re worth it! Arizona is just showing off at this point!

The first 2 miles of the hike are pretty moderate and are a mix of incline and declines. Once you hit 2 miles you head down into the canyon for another two miles. The most challenging part of the hike is coming back out of the canyon as those two miles are pretty steep but it's not too bad. The trail is very easy to follow. I was on the trail at 8:30am on a Sunday and didn't see too many people when going out but saw a ton while hiking back. Both water crossings were almost completely dry this weekend (Feb 9th). Parking is available across the street at the Canyon Lake Marina. Great hike

Did around 9 miles on this trail. The views were really great, and going this time of the year meant that it wasn't that hot! The parking lot at the lake gets really packed, so come early. There are bathrooms at the marina, and a restaurant if you're hungry after the hike. Also, don't fall, there are many poky little cacti waiting to catch you.

Fairly challenging hike, though I chose to loop around Battleship Mountain which arguably made it harder and longer. Nice day on the trails all in all.

Worth.every.step.

Beautiful views all along this trail. Go as far as you can, then turn back. It’s worth it!

This is a great trail at first it starts out easy becomes very difficult after about 2 miles in at that point you’ll start seeing people turn around and go back. The trail is very loose rocky . If you manage to make it to The canyons look out point it is worth the entire day if it takes you to get there and back. If you go down into the canyon it’s absolutely phenomenal. I spent five days wandering aimlessly in this entire area while sleeping/camping in the wilderness. You’ll see very few people make it past the 5-6 mile mark and then all of a sudden you’ll be alone in the perfection of solitude.

Beautiful views! Well worth the hike.

Great hike. Beautiful in the canyon.

Nice scenery. trail is mostly loose rock and boulders. Lots of people. We went on a weekend, started at noon, and on our way down we saw 25+ people easy. Other than that it was a really nice hike with the dog.

Did an extended loop and thought I would trail run a good bit of it but realized that wouldn’t be the case. The trail was either too steep, rocky, or spiky. I was able to jog a small portion but it was a good long challenging hiking day with bountiful stream crossings. If you wanna be a pro at rock hopping across streams take the route I took!